Hot Starts

As a result of a recent thread, I watched Don Maxwell's video on hot starts.  He suggests essentially leaving things alone from the last shut down (As is the essential procedure in the POH) but also ads that you can use the mixture as a throttle.  I tried this 3 times, the engine started all 3 times, but also backfired all 3 times.  Perhaps I has heavy handed on the mixture, but I don't like the backfiring.  Any thoughts?

John Breda

John, I find starting tricky when it has been a couple of hours or more since shutdown. I assume a hot start and start cranking with the mixture at cutoff and throttle at idle. If it doesn't catch in about 5 seconds I pump the mixture - not much. Sometimes I find I can release the starter before I hear the engine really start and coax the engine to life with the mixture and throttle before it stops spinning. I don't recall ever getting a backfire.

+1 on warm starts being more tricky than hot starts.     I turn on the fuel pump to maximize fuel pressure, then turn off.  push throttle to half open, leaving mixture at cut off the whole time.  Crank and it will fire immediately... put mixture to half way and feather throttle to keep alive and rpms reasonable.  sometimes run at a little higher rpm for 15 seconds or so to clear the lines of air bubbles... I rarely have to try twice this way.  It took me a long time to finally respect how easy it is to flood our IO-360 engines.

• Like 1