Back in the saddle but with starting problems

Well after 14 years on the ground I'm back in the game with my new to me Ranger. 10 hrs of transition training and five hours of solo under my belt but a lot left to learn. Huge step up from the 152 I did my PP training in. 

Only problem so far is starting. When the engine is cold it fires right up no problem. However, when it is heat soaked (landing for fuel and taking off shortly after) it does not want to start. 

Paying more attention to the stages my starter engages when I turn the key to start but the shower of sparks does not start until I push in the key. Is this wired in reverse? Again it works great when cold but the starter stops immediately when I push the key in on a warm engine.  If I go from the start position back to both (bypassing the sos) the engine starts fine.

My IA returns from vacation next week and I want to order the parts for him. 

Picture of the plane all tucked in. 

IMG_0085.JPG

• Like 1

When you say it won't start is it turning the prop over or is the prop stopping when it hits the first compression stroke? 

I had a problem where when the engine was hot it would start to turn and then as soon as it hit the first compression stroke it would stop. Repeated tries would eventually get it started. I don't have a skytech starter but someone posted the link to their troubleshooting page. 

http://www.skytecair.com/Troubleshooting.htm

"The Bump & Run" described my problem exactly. I replaced the starter solenoid and haven't had any problems since in about 60 hours of flying and starts in all kinds of conditions, including after flying for hours, landing in 100+ degrees, fueling, and starting back up. (You can't get much more of a "hot start" condition than that...) 

• Like 1

Generically, the O-360 is very easy to start hot, or cold.  The fact that the prop turns before the shower of sparks is very strange.  Perhaps just a mis-wiring of the start switch?

You could look back in the logbook and see when the starter switch was last worked on.  There is an AD (76-07-12) against some of the Bendix starter switches.  Perhaps the switch was repaired/replaced for that and a wiring error occurred?

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/AOCADSearch/C14960A415D956BD86256E520053A53E?OpenDocument

• Like 1

Thanks for the help so far. I don't think it is a starter issue because before I push in the key the starter is spinning the engine at full speed but I'll definitely get it checked. 

The battery was relocated to the rear of the aircraft and new wiring was used as well as a new alternator and starter. Battery was also new this past year. 

I agree about the wiring being reversed. After reading maxwells sos article I had a suspicion about that. 

Edited by MIm20c

Mlm20C, I just replaced the ignition switch in my F, it's the same as yours.  I was having starting problems too and replaced the switch and SOS.  When the key is turned all the way to the right you should hear a squealing sound that is the shower of sparks.  I used to not hear it and would have to get plane cranking and then let key go to both to start.  The SOS box always has Positive, when the key is pushed in it completes the circuit with the secondary retarded points in the left mag.  If your engine cranks at this stage, I do not know what they did wrong!  It is definitely a wiring issue most likely at ignition switch as other have said.     

• Like 1