Retractable Step Lubricant

Hello All -

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the proper lubricant for the retractable step on vintage Mooney's.  I've witnessed from my own experimenting that too thick of a lubricant will cause binding.  I've seen one post that referred to Teflon spray and a lubricant recommended in the service manual, but I can't find a portion of the service manual that refers to lubricating the step.

Thanks!

Mooney Service and Maintenance Catalog - Manual p/n 104.

Section II. E. Lubrication page 2-7 Through 2-14

The code for lubricants is page 2-14.

(The emanual I have was revised July 1980 and does reference Tri-Flow or equivant for the step, rod end bearing and several other components.)

8 hours ago, rbridges said:

mine is the vacuum operated step.  My manual recommends tri flow, basically a teflon spray.  It works well.  I tried some other stuff years ago before reading the manual, and it gummed up and bound like you mentioned.

+1 for Tri Flow

28 minutes ago, steingar said:

Here's a good question for you guys.  If the thing is properly lubricate do you still need the arms of Hercules to turn it?  Thing is such a pain I keep it retracted most of the time.

Something must be binding in your system somewhere.  It should be no more difficult than rolling a window up or down on a car.  

With the step down, you should be able to slide it up and down very freely.  If not, then the step slide needs lubricating or there is something binding there.  If it slides easily but is difficult to crank, then it is in the crank, pulleys, or cables somewhere and you'll need to start planning to pull the interior.

For our younger viewers- back in the dark ages, car windows had a crank handle. When you turned it, the window went up and down.  Ingenious!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy95W said:

For our younger viewers- back in the dark ages, car windows had a crank handle. When you turned it, the window went up and down.  Ingenious!

If it wasn't for the lack of a placard, this photo could be the Emergency Gear Extension for my 1970 Mooney. But it's not--it's from my 2004 Ford Ranger . . . . .

20170719_120954.thumb.jpg.08b43ed50ad821ee51dafc5d87919ab1.jpg

"Dark ages" huh?  ;)

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

If it wasn't for the lack of a placard, this photo could be the Emergency Gear Extension for my 1970 Mooney. But it's not--it's from my 2004 Ford Ranger . . . . .

20170719_120954.thumb.jpg.08b43ed50ad821ee51dafc5d87919ab1.jpg

"Dark ages" huh?  ;)

I remember those:D