One dead three injured

Heard an emergency call from Sonoma Sky park today as we were flying home so looked to see if any news but discovered two days ago a Cirrus SR22 went down two minutes after take off with one killed and three injured. The photos show the wreckage and the parachute was deployed. Condolences and prayers for the victims and their families.

Lots of open space around Sonoma Skypark. Plus there are numerousĀ vineyards where landing parallel to rows is a good option for an emergency. Ā (Your insurer won't be happy with the massive bill from the vineyard)Ā 

But it takes a quick & decisive mental transition from "all is normal" to "must land it now" and I'm sorryĀ this pilot wasn't able to pull it off.Ā 

Perhaps his pre-departure self-brief should have included a minimum altitude for chute use just as we might have a minimum altitude in mind before tryingĀ "the impossible turn" back to the field.

Even a "zero-zero"Ā ejection seat won't get you out of all situations.Ā Ā Ā Committing suicide to avoid being killed is pointless. Ā 

Ā Ā 

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Too bad they feltĀ compelled to pull the chute when such a big field was there

It may be a pre-programmed response "pull this handle if something goes wrong". When I've flown in a Cirrus the pilot made a call when reaching CAPS altitude, below that it was glide and land like the rest of us.

Clarence

Amazing anyone survived in that mangled mess. Sounds like heĀ stopped flying the plane and hangedĀ hisĀ fate and his pax's fateĀ up to the parachute which he improperly deployed.Ā Sad he made some wrong decisions. They costĀ him his life.Ā I hope his pax survive this. Are Cirrus pilots preprogrammed when in trouble toĀ depend on and pull the chute?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, PTK said:

Are Cirrus pilots preprogrammed when in trouble toĀ depend on and pull the chute?Ā 

I thought this was the gist of the Cirrus training claimed to reduce fatal accidents. "Pull early and pull often."

Just now, Hank said:

I thought this was the gist of the Cirrus training claimed to reduce fatal accidents. "Pull early and pull often."

sells more airplanes, too

Ā 

a guy had an engine failure departing a CO mountain airport this late winter/early spring. He landed it on a mountain top, no chute. He and his wife walked away.

15 hours ago, Hank said:

I wasn't aware that chute use is over emphasized like that. But I do believe it because the chute is the way Cirrus certified it overcomingĀ some not so greatĀ stall spin characteristics. So if this is the frame of mind of the generic Cirrus pilotĀ what happens to basic planning andĀ piloting? Recognizing and breaking the accident chain?Ā They go out the window? Why did the engine quit? Fuel exhaustion? Why didn't he put it down? It's flat all around and he had to know that because he was there plenty of times before. Engines can and do quit. Did he have a plan? Or indiscriminately pulling the chute was the plan.Ā Lapse in judgment and a lack of adherence to procedure andĀ Ā standards does not mix well with upholding the duties and the highest of responsibilities. He made a conscious decision to bring pax on board. Tragic.

I think we ought toĀ respectĀ a fellow fallen pilot by withholding our judgment until NTSB's report is out.

But one thing I think it's clear is that sometimes more options aren't necessarilyĀ better.Ā Use of the chute, asymmetric operation, and partial engine failure can beĀ more harmful than complete failure in a single without a chute...

34 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I think we ought toĀ respectĀ a fellow fallen pilot by withholding our judgment until NTSB's report is out.

But one thing I think it's clear is that sometimes more options aren't necessarilyĀ better.Ā Use of the chute, asymmetric operation, and partial engine failure can beĀ more harmful than complete failure in a single without a chute...

Please do elaborate because that's not at all clear...

Ā 

Just now, PTK said:

Please do elaborate because that's not at all clear...

As an example, there are more FATAL accidents in multi-engine airplanes following an engine failure than singles (by percentage). That is because if you lose an engine in a twin, you still have lots of options-some of them wrong. In a single, after an engine failure, you have only one option- unless you have a Cirrus.Ā 

• Like 2