Angle of Attack G1000

Lee A.

I asked Mooney about it when I was there last month. It's not on their radar at all for the original G1000, and they weren't sure for the NXi. Garmin has the standalone unit you can install. But who knows...maybe we'll learn something more during G's big announcement on Tuesday.

I put a HUD on mine.  At first I didn't want to cut up the glareshield but at the urging of Mark Korin at Alpha I went ahead and put he HUD between my eyesight and the prop so I have to look through it on final.  The reason I state this is that if it were on my G-1000 I might tend to look more down than up.  Just my thoughts.  Not meaning to say those with AOA on their glass is not as good as looking through them on top.  Before AOA on final, my scan would be airspeed on the PFD, MP on the MFD, out the windshield, rinse and repeat.  Now its just looking at the correct colors on the HUD and airspeed and MP are by hand.  Something to think about if they do come out with a glass version.

Russ

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Russ, pictures please! Which version of the Alpha did you install? I'd like to know more about it.

Jeff, I went with the Alpha AOA With Valkyrie HUD.  The AOA is mounted upside down under the HUD behind the PFD.  This is an old video when first installed.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Lee A. said:

I had the Alpha systems AoA with HUD installed.  Thanks for all the advice.  Haven't got the plane back yet to try it out.  

Lee, do yourself a favor and read up on the previous thread about calibration.  The instructions speak of changing the probe angle of attack 10 degrees at a time between test flights.  Go ahead and set it full forward for the Mooney wing and avoid all of the test flights.

Russ

• 2 months later...

WAAS went fine... I'm having problems getting to the bluetooth from the GTX345.. (yes I know the tail install location has issues,)  but I can't even get a signal with the access panel off and the ipad/iphone 3" in front of the GTX.    So this Friday we are planning on putting the GTX on the bench and seeing if that changes anything.  Could be a config issue.. could be dead hardware.. we will see. 

As for AOA... the TBM900 had integrated AOA... so the G1000 has code in there (V15)  somewhere.. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulM said:

I had sent some info to Russ last year about ways to hook up the flap module.

Russ,

did you implement any of them in the end?

Paul, I am trying to recall but no I gave up on full flap module, sent it back and got a refund. Maxwell tried to install it but the special IO for full flap condition needs a place to connect and see flap full.  Maxwell tried and couldn’t find a place to wire it.  The flap switch does not show voltage.  All other circuits are integrated.  He got frustrated being a pilot project for Alpha Systems.  You probably would need to install a new microswitch on the gear that triggers when down.  In the end, it probably is overkill because on my Alpha AOA the upper blue arc is full flap anyway.

Russ

On 9/22/2017 at 7:39 AM, Txbyker said:

Lee, do yourself a favor and read up on the previous thread about calibration.  The instructions speak of changing the probe angle of attack 10 degrees at a time between test flights.  Go ahead and set it full forward for the Mooney wing and avoid all of the test flights.

Russ

Yep, good advice. If I had done that and had asked my shop to set it to 40 deg. right away I would have saved several weeks of research and trying.

12 hours ago, Txbyker said:

Maxwell tried and couldn’t find a place to wire it.  The flap switch does not show voltage.

My analysis of the circuit diagram showed that you could get a path to ground on full flaps if you changed 2 wires on the flap microswitch.   Or you could add a second microswitch.

I just looked in the current  installation manual (that now includes the logic for flaps) and they require +24V to signal "flaps down"...  

So, you could either use my wiring mod to trigger a relay that provides 24v, or you can use the JV82 actuator and another v3-1 microswitch if there is space on the mounting location for a dual ganged switch. 

There also seems to be a "flap analog input" but the instructions for that component are not downloadable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulM said:

My analysis of the circuit diagram showed that you could get a path to ground on full flaps if you changed 2 wires on the flap microswitch.   Or you could add a second microswitch.

I just looked in the current  installation manual (that now includes the logic for flaps) and they require +24V to signal "flaps down"...  

So, you could either use my wiring mod to trigger a relay that provides 24v, or you can use the JV82 actuator and another v3-1 microswitch if there is space on the mounting location for a dual ganged switch. 

There also seems to be a "flap analog input" but the instructions for that component are not downloadable. 

That sounds good but like I was saying full flap is upper blue arc anyway.  So all of that good work to hook it up would make it indicate a blue circle.  I fly into the airport environment with a blue circle and strive for upper blue arc which is just above stall full flaps and just right fo flare.  I wonder if you may want to share your findings with Don Maxwell and Alpha.  

Russ

13 minutes ago, Txbyker said:

I wonder if you may want to share your findings with Don Maxwell and Alpha.

If they want to get in contact that is fine... Don did my pre-buy in 2013, but being in TX I haven't been down to that shop since then.

I looked at the other Install manual (REV BA) and it looks like the I/O module now has more features.. analog flap detection.  0-12/28V...   One would have to check the flap position output voltages to see if they are acceptable for this input.. the wiring diagram and service manual doesn't say.