Slips; demonstrated X/W (E)

Will you need a 337 for that?  The mod would be ridiculously simple though.  I think I would prefer a solid state circuit as opposed to an old fashioned electromechanical unit.  That said, it has been so long since I have messed with an automotive flasher that there may very well be solid state replacements.

22 hours ago, StinkBug said:

Lots of input on the Xwind component here so I'm not even gonna add to that. I can give specific experience on the problem of getting down to SMO from the south. I assume you're using the SFRA, so coming north west bound at 4500. As soon as you clear the LAX bravo call SMO, they will simply tell you to make right traffic. Tell them you'd like a left 270 to join the downwind, they will give it to you, they know the deal. At this point drop the gear and flaps to get slow. Then continue past the airport as far as you feel comfortable going towards the hills, make that 270 big enough and you can easily get to pattern altitude without any slipping or extreme maneuvers. I generally end up nearly passing over pacific palisades and going off shore a little. The tower knows you need to bleed altitude and are used to people doing exactly that. This is pretty much how I get to SMO every time I go, including when I take my girlfriend whose ears cannot take any kind of a rapid descent.

Yeah, I know how to get into SMO. Even know most of the tower controllers by name. Can text three of ‘em. Didn’t stop Gina from restricting me at or above 4000 until my base turn (out past Century City), or Gary from putting me in left traffic for 21 to avoid conflicts with other aircraft coming in from the Palisades (that was the time I did the steep turn descending 360s over the Marina) or  restricted above 2000 coming from BUR until past the twin high rises because a Bonanza is following around a Breitling DC-3 taking photos ... If there’s one routine thing about SMO, it’s that there’s nothing routine about SMO.

23 hours ago, StinkBug said:

Lots of input on the Xwind component here so I'm not even gonna add to that. I can give specific experience on the problem of getting down to SMO from the south. I assume you're using the SFRA, so coming north west bound at 4500. As soon as you clear the LAX bravo call SMO, they will simply tell you to make right traffic. Tell them you'd like a left 270 to join the downwind, they will give it to you, they know the deal. At this point drop the gear and flaps to get slow. Then continue past the airport as far as you feel comfortable going towards the hills, make that 270 big enough and you can easily get to pattern altitude without any slipping or extreme maneuvers. I generally end up nearly passing over pacific palisades and going off shore a little. The tower knows you need to bleed altitude and are used to people doing exactly that. This is pretty much how I get to SMO every time I go, including when I take my girlfriend whose ears cannot take any kind of a rapid descent.

I don't even call the tower up anymore from the south. I just fly over,  left circle then call them when I'm back inbound or the turn for the right down wind. I've been yelled at 2x by the controllers assuming I was doing something else when I called from the south in the past. No more of that. Monitor both tower and 128.55 the entire time. Also, I've had a few conflicts on special flight rules departure in the right 270 from traffic entering from VNY. 

-Matt

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, KLRDMD said:

It doesn't matter. A demonstrated crosswind component is not a "limitation" of the airplane only a number that had to be "demonstrated" for some, but not all, airplanes. Land with whatever crosswind you and the airplane can safely do at the time.

It does matter to the insurance company when you ding that plane and they get hold of the TAF / METAR /  SPECI... :P 

It does matter to the insurance company when you ding that plane and they get hold of the TAF / METAR /  SPECI...  

The pilot observing a personal max x-wind to ensure a safe landing is what's important. Not a published one. When pilots screw up the insurance still pays and the NTSB shows it as another R-LOC accident/incident - our most common screw up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk