Ceiling level of a 77' 201

I've read my poh four times specifically looking for the ceiling level of my plane. And I can't find it. Google says it's 18,800. I was wondering where it would be in the poh if not in General or Limitations. I bought a new altimeter for my adsb install and the 20k was cheaper than the 35k unit. I wanted to know if I should have bought the 35,000 foot unit for some reason? Sorry for needing more help....

Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd, the TCDS says see POH for all Mooney models. The J POH I searched (PDF from online) defines the term and then doesn't seem to name the number....

Yeah I've felt really dumb not being able to find it in the poh...

Ok, for bragging rights,
What's the highest altitude anyone has taken a NA Mooney? 
I had my M20F up to 17500, it actually ran pretty good up there.

How long did it take? Coming home from Texas I was up at 14,500 over Arizona at 1pm and was still going through the worse turbulence I've ever gone through:)

O

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

How long did it take? Coming home from Texas I was up at 14,500 over Arizona at 1pm and was still going through the worse turbulence I've ever gone through:)

Oh, gosh that was a long time ago and I started in Denver. It took 20 or 30 minutes. At the end I was using my sailplane training and milking it up. Plus I was crossing the Rockies, its hard to know how much is you and how much is the mountain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I took our PowerFlowed C up to 17,500' once with two aboard and almost full 64 gallons of fuel. Summertime over WV. 

Would the powerflow make any particular difference in its ability to go so high?

Excess HP is the explanation for climbing ability...

removing the back pressure caused by the original exhaust system, and repalcing it with the PF with less back pressure, gives more usable HP...

more hp, more climb capability...

------------------

M20C, solo, 14,500’ between OH and NJ...

Heading East to catch a tail wind.  Very little climb rate at that altitude.

POH performance chart indicates climb rate at max Gross weight is 25 fpm @ 18k'...

gear up, full rich, flaps 15°, full throttle, 2700 rpm...   awefully rich, no?

Best regards,

-a-

6 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I took our PowerFlowed C up to 17,500' once with two aboard and almost full 64 gallons of fuel. Summertime over WV. 

I took my C to 15,000 over southern OH / western WV, flying really big racetracks one hot summer afternoon. Calculated a few days later that the DA was 18,800. Click below as slow, I sgep-climbed the last couple of thousand. Stopped because if we went Bovey 16,000 then Huntington Approach would have had to hand us off to Indy Center. Just had the stock exhaust . . . Did I say the climb was pretty slow? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M20Doc said:

A friend of mine took his 180 HP RV6 to 26000,.  I would think a light Mooney would best 20000'

Clarence

There is a YouTube of one of Bill Kershner's former students taking a 150 to 17.5 and then spinning it down so I wouldn't see much of an issue with a Mooney getting about FL20 but it would be a long ride.   

12 hours ago, peevee said:

I took our rocket to 240? I'd go higher if it was certified.

If you had an Executive you could be at 250.  Sadly you can't make use of the cigar lighter but the retractable step really shines. 

14 hours ago, peevee said:

I took our rocket to 240? I'd go higher if it was certified.

Is there an altitude restriction on the rocket?

there is no altitude restriction on the J or the Missile.  you can fly as high as your NA motor can take you.  Which is about 20,000' ;)

8 minutes ago, M016576 said:

Is there an altitude restriction on the rocket?

there is no altitude restriction on the J or the Missile.  you can fly as high as your NA motor can take you.  Which is about 20,000' ;)

Only certified to 240 as from the factory. Dunno why other than it was too expensive to change as part of the stc. It'll climb about 1kfpm to 240 if it's not super hot out maybe a bit less like 600 to 800 if it is.

• Like 1