New drop-in LED bulbs from Whelen

Raptor05121

Check this out. Whelen Chroma series. Supposed to be a drop-in PMA LED bulb to replace red and green nav lights. Better quality than the knockoff LED bulbs you see without the expensive price point. $115 each, $230 for both wingtips is very attractive!

chroma.jpg

They currently are still awaiting FAA certification, per the ad. I doubt Whelen will have any issue getting it.

AircraftSpruce is expecting 14v to arrive in their warehouse by July 27, and 28v early August: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/whelenchromaled.php

• Like 5

Bought some for a CJ, T182T, and actually sprung for them for the mooney!! 

I neglected to post until my order shipped!! Lol,

I called whelen, they will be full up. They will meet all TSOs with out changing to clear lenses!!!

will advise,

-Matt

Are the Chroma series LED bulbs approved yet?  I exchanged emails with Whelen a couple months ago- they said they expected the approval by Oshkosh but I their website is still says the approval is pending.

4 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Does anyone with LED technical knowledge know why Whelen didn't use white LEDs under the existing coloured lens covers?  Seems redundant to use coloured LEDs unless they come with clear lens covers.

The picture above looks to me like colored LEDs under clear glass, rather like on my Whelen belly strobe (tiny compared to the old high voltage flasher).

4 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Does anyone with LED technical knowledge know why Whelen didn't use white LEDs under the existing coloured lens covers?  Seems redundant to use coloured LEDs unless they come with clear lens covers.

It is because of the LED light spectrum.  White thru colored lens drop light waves and color intensity is distorted. In some cases you get spots of bright color and can "see" the led.  Also the lens drops the intensity of the output.  Clear lens allow the light to spread so it appears from afar that the entire assembly is lit and because the light is not being altered thru a color it is more intense. 

10 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

You want the LEDs to emit the same wavelength as the filter (lens) they are going through. The color used by automotive manufacturers isn't really red (620-640nm), but rather red-orange (610-620nm)

14 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Colored LEDs, especially red tend to have higher lumenous output per input watt. White tends to be the lowest due to the process needed to make them appear white. If I remember, blue has the highest lumens per watt output.

LEDs have a rather strange ability to be able to shine colored light through a different colored lens. Watch the rear turn signals on a newer model Range Rover some time. Amber LEDs that shine through a red lens, but definitely look amber when lit. I'll definitely be looking for these at OSH

On 7/14/2017 at 4:29 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Matt, where did you order from? Please give us a full work up when they arrive. Pics/vids, before and after :D

All 3 sets were placed thru Spruce. One of the 28v sets shipped. Still waiting on the others. I believe Whelen was waiting on their paperwork to come thru with the FAA  approvals. I bet they told their vendors to hold until the paperwork was compleated. If everything works out, these will be the first truly TSOd drop in lights to maker. Yes expensive still for a single unit, but reasonable considering the Orion system. 

Will do,

-Matt

• Like 1

Exactly. These are excellent for the Raptor methodology. I cant afford $600 LEDs but I dont want to stay with incandescent, nor do I want AircraftSpruce charging $40 for an automotive LED I can buy on a LED site for $6, even though they arent TSO'ed. I like how these are respectively priced and legal!

• Like 1

Looks like a good deal. However, what I'd really like is a drop in strobe replacement vs the nav lights. I'm going to check at osh in a couple weeks for the or650 set.  Might put the money down if I can get the price to $750.  Any other options for the strobe replacements?

As mentioned above- the colors have to meet certain wavelength requirements for the correct "color" emitted per FAR. This is why you can't just drop in any commercial LED bulb that fits the socket. The emitted "red" or "green" might not (will not) meet certification standards not to mention angle of view and intensity. 

I'm looking at OSH!

When discussing LEDs while at KOSH...

please please ask about the recognition lights for the LBs...

More LEDs, the better...

Melting lens covers is purely an annoying result of a simple distraction during a busy time...

I no longer use my recog lights as often as I could...

Best regards,

-a-

More LEDs, the better...
Melting lens covers is purely an annoying result of a simple distraction during a busy time...
Best regards,
-a-

Will never happen because their are only a handful of Mooney owners to buy them. Plus several of us just buy the $5 projection bulb so don't find them expensive to replace and use the pulsing system which eliminates the plastic lens melting - both issues solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

More LEDs, the better...

I wig wag my rec lights and leave them on all the time.
  • Like 1