Tips, tricks or expectations for KOAK, Oakland, CA

I'm flying up to Oakland, CA KOAK this weekend from San Diego KMYF. Flying up on an IFR flight plan but not expecting any weather.  Leaving I haven't determined if it will be VFR or IFR but find Departing is usually quicker and more efficient VFR around the big boys. Any heads up on runways, procedures, FBO's would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Karson

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Last time I went there I called the FBO at KOAK that I had used for years and their fees had turned sky high. 

Hayward is very reasonable and it is only 7 miles down the road.

It looks like there is  a BART station 5 miles from Hayward. So a short Uber ride is an option.

40 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The Bart station by KOAK is an experience. Make sure you wear your Radars shirt! Body armor would help...

The Hayward Bart station is only 2.2 miles from the FBO.

Which FBO do you like APP Jet Center or Meridian Hayward?

1 hour ago, kmyfm20s said:

I have my 2 kids and girlfriend with me and the fact the KOAK has a BART station right there was appealing for the Friday traffic. we are staying in the financial district with a station right there.

That's the first time I've ever heard down town Oakland called the financial district. Good luck but I agree Hayward would be a better destination.

10 minutes ago, bonal said:

That's the first time I've ever heard down town Oakland called the financial district. Good luck but I agree Hayward would be a better destination.

He means he is taking Bart under the bay to SAN Fran Powel st Bart station

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thinwing said:

He means he is taking Bart under the bay to SAN Fran Powel st Bart station

Well if that's the case then I would definitely fly Hayward and take BART to SF. I grew up in the east bay right between Hayward and Oakland. My dad was an Oak police officer when I was a kid. Oakland has always been a pretty violent city. I worked there for many years before moving to the country.

If you end up at OAK, note that the GA runways (10/28 and 15/33) are separate from the commercial airlines runways (12/30) and terminals.  I do not think this is obvious.  This makes it pretty easy to get in there as GA without being sequenced between the big boys or taxing around TSA security zones.  

I have not been there since 2013, and I used Kaiser at the time.  Fees were reasonable then, around $20 for overnight, 1st night waived with fuel.  I also got a van ride to the BART.  You should confirm prices before you go.  Back then, they were in a temp building, so costs probably went up with a new facility constructed.  

If you call ahead and get FBO prices from Kaiser and Signature, please share them here as a reference.  

Per Rich's recommendation I ended up going to Hayward and used APP jet center and all is good. APP is friendly and prices are very reasonable. Unfortunately I'm sitting in the room with my son because of an ear ache from the plane flight. This is a first for us and I'm disappointed I failed to recognize his congestion before we took off. He was really hurting but he is sleeping now, the girls are walking around and I'm on the internet. I was at least able to walk on the pier with the kids, get a couple of IPA's and have some oysters. Weather couldn't be nicer! I'm sure we will be back in action shortly! 

• Like 1

I'm doing a rather long trip with my dad from Corpus Christi, TX to Hayward next month as well. I'll be keeping the mooney there for almost a month out on the ramp. I called last week to check their fees and they said it would cost $50/week. I'm going to see if I can get one week waived. Fuel prices are also very reasonable there compared to Oak. I'm really looking forward to this trip of a lifetime.