New Member Intro number next

1 hour ago, SkyTrekker said:

First solo flight accomplished!

Glad I did mine back in the 80's when all the CFI did was rip your t-shirt.

On the other hand, getting doused with a bucket of water after a summer flight in Tejas doesn't sound that bad.

Congrats!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HRM said:

Glad I did mine back in the 80's when all the CFI did was rip your t-shirt.

On the other hand, getting doused with a bucket of water after a summer flight in Tejas doesn't sound that bad.

Congrats!

I was totally oblivious to the bucket of ice sitting on the pavement when I got out of the plane, so it was a complete shock when he unloaded it onto my back!  Painfully cold and sweetly refreshing all at the same time :lol:

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great you tube video!

airspeed and VSI are easy to read, great commentary from the CFI.

Now, how many hours do you have?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, it turned out pretty well.  I used a couple of video editor filters that made the contrast pop and improved instrument readability in the video.  CFI was coaching me from a handheld in a golf cart from the safety area of the runway.  I had radios set to monitor his frequency while I was talking to ATC.  He would broadcast a message as I was setting up for final, and as I was touching down.  Just the right amount of coaching.

Started in November, flying an average of once every week or two, and have 32.8 total hours now (9.3 in the Cub, 8 in the C172, 1.4 in a J, and 14.1 in my E).  Two cross countries under my belt.  Now we start on the fun stuff: Night flights, solo cross country, and those 3 hours of instrument flying.  Can't wait!

8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Awesome!

Where is your step? Did the factory forget to install it? :P

Lol...the step is there, hiding behind my right leg.  I had to go back and look at another photo to be sure, though. You had me concerned for a minute!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Congrats.  I looked at that plane for a friend who was interested.  It was hangared the next row over from mine at KDWH.  It looked pretty good for a vintage bird, but my friend wanted something with a GPS already installed.  I guess the pre-buy went OK.  There was an issue with the idle when I looked at it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greg_D said:

Congrats.  I looked at that plane for a friend who was interested.  It was hangared the next row over from mine at KDWH.  It looked pretty good for a vintage bird, but my friend wanted something with a GPS already installed.  I guess the pre-buy went OK.  There was an issue with the idle when I looked at it.

Hi Greg.  Yeah a GPS would have been nice but it wasn't on my must have list.  Am really enjoying flying her.

I am curious about the idle issue you mention, though.  I haven' noticed any problems, but then again, I'm new to airplanes (and Mooneys), so not sure I'd necessarily know if there was an issue. I had the pre-buy done at Don Maxwell's, and he didn't note anything with the engine or idle.  Is there anything you remember about the idle so that I can have it looked into during my next annual? 

Thanks for any insight...

-Sia

I just remember that it wouldn't idle well right after it started unless the throttle was advanced a bit.  It may have been because it hadn't been started or flown in a while.  Or maybe the idle was set too low.  Did you get Don to do an annual on it, since you had the pre-buy done there?

I didn't get to fly it at all because the owner didn't have any insurance on it.

You certainly have room in the panel for a GPS:). With an HSI, a magnetic compass, and another one for backup, you shouldn't get lost.

IMG_0217.jpg

Edited by Greg_D

On 7/16/2017 at 9:36 AM, SkyTrekker said:

I was totally oblivious to the bucket of ice sitting on the pavement when I got out of the plane, so it was a complete shock when he unloaded it onto my back!  Painfully cold and sweetly refreshing all at the same time :lol:

Ah the unexpected ice bucket when you aren't looking. You might be due compensation. I think we have a lawyer or two on here. :)

Nice job and congrats! If you can make it, try to come to Mooney Summit. I went last year as a new Mooney owner and learned much. The wife enjoyed the beach time as well.

Steve

11 hours ago, Greg_D said:

I just remember that it wouldn't idle well right after it started unless the throttle was advanced a bit.  It may have been because it hadn't been started or flown in a while.  Or maybe the idle was set too low.  Did you get Don to do an annual on it, since you had the pre-buy done there?

I didn't get to fly it at all because the owner didn't have any insurance on it.

You certainly have room in the panel for a GPS:). With an HSI, a magnetic compass, and another one for backup, you shouldn't get lost.

Ah, yes, the throttle is a little low in idle position, I think the idle setting is just a little low in general...should be easy to tweak.  I adjust the throttle for ~1000 after startup and it works fine.  Once it has warmed up, it idles fine in the full idle position. 

I did not have Don do an annual, but I might have had him do it if I could go back in time.  Honestly the whole process of purchasing a plane was so new, and I was so anxious to transition my PPL training to the Mooney that I only gave it a moment's thought.  I will probably have Don do the annual when it comes due in January.

I do plan to add a GPS once I check a couple of other boxes off of my upgrade/maintenance list!

10 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

Ah the unexpected ice bucket when you aren't looking. You might be due compensation. I think we have a lawyer or two on here. :)

Nice job and congrats! If you can make it, try to come to Mooney Summit. I went last year as a new Mooney owner and learned much. The wife enjoyed the beach time as well.

Steve

Thanks Steve....yes the ice was a shock :-)   I will definitely consider coming to the Mooney Summit as soon as I've completed my PPL and the extra hours my insurance requires before flying passengers.  The beach option for the wife sounds like a win/win.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SkyTrekker said:

~2200 feet T94

Fly there with your instructor.

More importantly, thank you for making the correct decision to complete your training in your Mooney.

Edited by jkhirsch
  • Like 1

Idle setting is an important and well documented setting.... any mechanic should be able to set it based on Mooney Maintenance document(?)

1) Too low, the engine dies when you pull the throttle out for landing...

2) Too high, the amount of energy put in while trying to land, leads to long floats over the runway...

3) just right, engine barely runs but never quits when the throttle is pulled all the way back...

4) actual rpm setting 6 or 700 rpm? Idle on the ground...

PP thoughts only, get help from your mechanic to verify these details...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Idle setting is an important and well documented setting.... any mechanic should be able to set it based on Mooney Maintenance document(?)

1) Too low, the engine dies when you pull the throttle out for landing...

2) Too high, the amount of energy put in while trying to land, leads to long floats over the runway...

3) just right, engine barely runs but never quits when the throttle is pulled all the way back...

4) actual rpm setting 6 or 700 rpm? Idle on the ground...

PP thoughts only, get help from your mechanic to verify these details...

Best regards,

-a-

Based on this description, my idle seems to be about right.