Looking for a Stratus 2S

37 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

I didn't know you could...  I'm in how, where are plans located?

Instructions - http://stratux.me/

Instead of the battery pack you can just plug it into the cigarette lighter with a charging cord. (Or buy one of these and find a spare circuit breaker)

I used:

Raspberry PI 3 Model B A1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU, 1GB RAM - Comes with the heatsinks, you don't need to buy them separately.

Stratux Case with Fan, Clear Acrylic 

NooElec Dual-Band NESDR Nano 2 ADS-B (978MHz UAT & 1090MHz 1090ES) Bundle For Stratux, Avare, Foreflight, FlightAware & Other ADS-B Applications. Includes 2 SDRs, 4 Antennas, 5 Adapters. - Note that you have to pop the cases off the SDR's to get them to fit on the Raspberry Pi

Stratux Vk-162 Remote Mount USB GPS - Add this and plug it into the Raspberry Pi if you want to have GPS sent from it to your tablet. Mine just sits on top of the glareshield and isn't noticeable.

I didn't buy an SD card with the software on it. I have plenty of them laying around so just formatted one, downloaded the software, and put it on the card. It was easy to build.

Depending on your IA, (or hangar elves) you can add these and then put the device behind the panel out of the way. The NooElec SDR's come with an antenna splitter so you can have one antenna going to both of them.

ADS-B Antenna

BNC Plug to SMA Plug Male pigtail Cable RG58 6' MADE IN USA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Sweet....  Anyone else doing this...

I have upgraded mine and have some parts left over. Supply the pi, sd card, a case, and a fan controller and I'll build it out and send it to you.

Linked above are the old receivers, the new low power sdrs are better.

10 minutes ago, peevee said:

I have upgraded mine and have some parts left over. Supply the pi, a case, and a fan controller and I'll build it out and send it to you.

Linked above are the old receivers, the new low power sdrs are better.

Thanks I just ordered all the pieces.  If I get totally screwed up I'll send you a basket of pieces..:D

What are the updated numbers...  Probably should make sure I am ordering the right parts 

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

I was going to recommend looking for a stratus 2 non-S, but the ebay prices are still pretty steep for them.  

I recently bought a 2S on ebay for about $600.  It's immaculate & like new condition.  A lot of people don't need them anymore

as they upgrade their panels.

I'm not sure if $600 is steep, but it seemed like a good deal especially considering I could probably sell it for that.

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

Thanks I just ordered all the pieces.  If I get totally screwed up I'll send you a basket of pieces..:D

What are the updated numbers...  Probably should make sure I am ordering the right parts 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M7NMWCD/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1499978761&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stratux&dpPl=1&dpID=41ayRNhP20L&ref=plSrch

Depending on which case you got you probably want a fan controller too

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZCHBHT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499978761&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stratux&dpPl=1&dpID=41raN4CeCrL&ref=plSrch

And the gps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0716BK5NT/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499978761&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stratux&dpPl=1&dpID=41IvfY5OpvL&ref=plSrch

Pingefb is slick if you want to spend an extra hundred or so 

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

I didn't order the GPS I was using the Bad elf pro maybe I should rethink that

I was using a Garmin Glo for awhile. I had a flight where my tablet got too hot and the Bluetooth lost the connection. (Didn't shut down like an iPad but for some reason the Bluetooth shut down, odd...) Anyway, I also got tired of trying to remember to turn the Garmin Glo on and make sure it connected, remembering to charge it, etc... For the price it was worth it to just have the GPS with the Stratux and not worry about it.

I do have a Garmin Glo with the friction mount for sale if someone is interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded my transponder. I have a Stratus 2S for sale. It picks up all the traffic my new Garmin GTX 345 picks up, and sometimes finds the traffic sooner. I don't need both. It comes with the the window suction holder, nice carrying case, and wall charger. The internal cooling fan works great. On several occasions my iPad has overheated (Arizona based) in the shade while the Stratus just kicked on it's cooling fan in the direct sun. It has not let me down yet. I will sell it for $400.00.