Stupid Avidyne Tricks

On 1/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, midlifeflyer said:

Yeah, I've done that and it can get pretty close but, just as an FYI, even the Air Force says not to use point-to-point in US domestic airspace without RNAV:

Air Force Flight Operations manual (11-202, Volume 3):

“Pilots will not file a flight plan nor accept a clearance that requires navigating direct to a navigational fix unless the primary navigation equipment onboard the aircraft is certified for the appropriate RNAV capability. Pilots of aircraft without the appropriate RNAV capability will reply with “unable” when given a clearance to proceed direct to a fix. ATC may provide radar vectors or an alternate routing under these circumstances.”

I did not say it was smart but it is legal. 

On 1/16/2023 at 5:37 AM, midlifeflyer said:

I"m curious... I assume you know that you  don't need a Stratux for an IFD to exchange flight plan information with an iPad. Are you wondering whether trying to use the IFD as a WiFi client for Stratux and as a WiFi host for a tablet at the same time might not work?

Being new to the Avidyne universe, I plead ignorance.  Much to learn.  Info on the Avidyne www page is hard to come by.  I'll spend some time looking at the youtube vids referenced by @EricJ.   Maybe that will help me focus in on what I want.  The installation manual refers to a document 600-00299-100 that I haven't found yet.

Switching from Garmin to Avidyne is kind of like switching O/S.  A maze of twisty little passages that all look the same with hidden doors. :huh: