Stupid Avidyne Tricks

As another diagnostic, open ForeFlight and go to More and then Devices. If you are connected to the IFD, it will show up there. It should also show you the current capabilities of the unit. If it is not showing the capability to load to and from the unit, there is the starting place to find the problem.

You can find all of this and more help in the Pilot's Guide to FF, pages 277-280.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread, when I got my stratus back from sporty's they sent a refurbished stratus 2s instead of repairing my stratus 2.  With this new unit all of my issues are resolved.  Works perfect.    I'm guessing the firmware in my stratus 2 didn't support being a router.

Edited by tony

As another diagnostic, open ForeFlight and go to More and then Devices. If you are connected to the IFD, it will show up there. It should also show you the current capabilities of the unit. If it is not showing the capability to load to and from the unit, there is the starting place to find the problem.
You can find all of this and more help in the Pilot's Guide to FF, pages 277-280.

I'm not sure why but all I had to do was reboot my foreflight. It seems very particular on how things are booted up for everything to talk to each other. I can't be in FMS route when I send the flight plan to the IFD either, it will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I'm not sure why but all I had to do was reboot my foreflight. It seems very particular on how things are booted up for everything to talk to each other. I can't be in FMS route when I send the flight plan to the IFD either, it will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computers and networking. Mystical sciences unto themselves.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 6:10 PM, markejackson02 said:

Got everything working.  Forgot that the network name is case sensitive (stratux not Stratux) but once that was resolved the iPad, Stratux, and 440 all talked to each other.  Got traffic & weather on the iPad although it would be nice to be able to stream stuff to the 440.  Was able to upload flight plans to the 440.

I'm new to Avidyne.   I have an IFD-540 and I want to do this.   Reading this thread, I'm seeing unfamiliar words like "maintenance mode" and such.  Can anyone point me to some pointers?   I've just started looking at the Avidyne Live page too, but it seems that stratux isn't widely used.   Also, it seems that @markejackson02 hasn't visited MS in almost 2 years.

How does one put an IFD-540 in maintenance mode?   That seems to be where these network config options live, because in regular mode I can't seem to edit SSIDs.

Thanks!

Fred

5 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

How does one put an IFD-540 in maintenance mode?   That seems to be where these network config options live, because in regular mode I can't seem to edit SSIDs.

The easiest way to enter maintenance mode is before powering the unit, place a USB stick into the side USB slot, the same as you do when intending to update Nav data. Power up the unit and it will go into maintenance mode as it detects the stick. Along the bottom you will see a single row of about 5 tabs of which the first is 'Update' for Nav or other data and the last should be 'Config'. Tap the Config tab and then you will go straight into the Config pages of which there are about 14. Scroll the right outer and inner knobs to select pages and highlight items. Push on the knob to edit.

If you encounter problems either call or contact tech support via the support page https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/new or email tech support (techsupport@avidyne.com). They are very helpful and respond reasonably quick using either their support page or email.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I'm new to Avidyne.   I have an IFD-540 and I want to do this.   Reading this thread, I'm seeing unfamiliar words like "maintenance mode" and such.  Can anyone point me to some pointers?   I've just started looking at the Avidyne Live page too, but it seems that stratux isn't widely used.   Also, it seems that @markejackson02 hasn't visited MS in almost 2 years.

Thanks!

Fred

In addition to powering on with usb as @Mooney in Oz mentioned, there's this.

The IFD has enough under the hood that can be configured by the user (with the attendant risk of fat fingers) to make searching for a copy of the maintenance manual in pdf worthwhile. 

1DBB3173-2DC8-4A20-98F4-251DC9F3E4D8.jpeg.e98af063e89253a0a9f97f999493bd1e.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Thanks!

Fred

https://www.avidyne.com/manual-guides/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Coming in at 545 pages, the IFD-5XX Pilot's Guide would weigh 3 lbs printed!   I'll put it on my iPad.

Since the Pilot Guide required to be in the aircraft. I'm surprised you don't already have a printed copy. 

On a related subject, do you have "Flying with the Avidyne IFD"? It a book from Avidyne which comes with the purchase. If you don't have it, I suggest you write to Avidyne and ask for one. You can also follow the lessons online. They are all you YouTube but a good place to start is Avidyne's website. These are very good and a requirement when I give transition training. .

30 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Since the Pilot Guide required to be in the aircraft. I'm surprised you don't already have a printed copy. 

On a related subject, do you have "Flying with the Avidyne IFD"? It a book from Avidyne which comes with the purchase. If you don't have it, I suggest you write to Avidyne and ask for one. You can also follow the lessons online. They are all you YouTube but a good place to start is Avidyne's website. These are very good and a requirement when I give transition training. .

Hi Mark,

@LANCECASPER was kind enough to send me a training video set.   There is no printed copy of the Pilot Guide in the aircraft, but I've downloaded all the Avidyne IFD5xx supporting docs onto my iPad.  Far superior to printed manuals. 

I've also downloaded the docs for the Aspen EFD1000.   Both Avidyne and Aspen are new to me. 

I'm guessing that I want the IFD-540 set up as a WIFI client, connected to the Stratux, same with iPad.  That will give connectivity between the IFD-540 and iPad as long as the Stratux knows how to act as a router, no?   Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Fred

7 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

@midlifeflyer

It is my understanding that the AFMS must be onboard.  Unless that AFMS specifically calls out that the 500+page Pilot Guide be onboard, I did not think it required.  Am I wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

@midlifeflyer

It is my understanding that the AFMS must be onboard.  Unless that AFMS specifically calls out that the 500+page Pilot Guide be onboard, I did not think it required.  Am I wrong?

Even if it is, accessible electronic copies suffice as "on board".   I make sure all my tablets and the USBs that are in my flight bag all have electronic copies of everything required, including the POH, all the AFMS manuals, etc., etc.   It'd be too crazy to keep printed copies of everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeOH said:

@midlifeflyer

I believe you are correct. Unless the Pilot's Guide is listed as required to be on board in the limitations section of the AFMS, you don't need to carry it. I once calculated  that all the manuals for my new panel added up to around 2000 pages. I don't have a bookcase installed in my airplane. I do keep current versions of the documents on my iPad in the airplane and I print out each AFMS and place them all in the POH.

Skip

13 hours ago, MikeOH said:

@midlifeflyer

You are absolutely correct that "Unless that AFMS specifically calls out that the 500+page Pilot Guide be onboard, I did not think it required."

It does.

image.png.d594d91e3e2b2e450434214448529509.png
And yes, electronic copies should suffice (and are arguably much more "available" than the book).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I'm guessing that I want the IFD-540 set up as a WIFI client, connected to the Stratux, same with iPad.  That will give connectivity between the IFD-540 and iPad as long as the Stratux knows how to act as a router, no?   Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Fred

I don't know how the IFD interfaces with a portable ADS-B-in unit. When I've used the IFD WiFi capability it's been as a host, providing GPS and ADS-B data from a connected In/Out transponder to a tablet, not as a client. The idea of an IFR certified panel mount utilizing data from something not certified strikes me offhand as problematic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I don't know how the IFD interfaces with a portable ADS-B-in unit. When I've used the IFD WiFi capability it's been as a host, providing GPS and ADS-B data from a connected In/Out transponder to a tablet, not as a client. The idea of an IFR certified panel mount utilizing data from something not certified strikes me offhand as problematic.

That’s because ads-b in is not required for IFR. It’s nice to have for you but not required, thus a certified piece of equipment allowing you  to connecting to a portable ads-b in unit is a nice to have for you feature but again not required for conducting IFR flight. Same as flying direct to a fix when you only have a VOR and DME. Legally I’m doing a fix to fix using radials and DME but really I’m using a portable GPS that is more accurate than what the vor needle can even register when you are 80 miles out from the vor. 

14 hours ago, Will.iam said:

That’s because ads-b in is not required for IFR. It’s nice to have for you but not required, thus a certified piece of equipment allowing you  to connecting to a portable ads-b in unit is a nice to have for you feature but again not required for conducting IFR flight. Same as flying direct to a fix when you only have a VOR and DME. Legally I’m doing a fix to fix using radials and DME but really I’m using a portable GPS that is more accurate than what the vor needle can even register when you are 80 miles out from the vor. 

Yeah, I've done that and it can get pretty close but, just as an FYI, even the Air Force says not to use point-to-point in US domestic airspace without RNAV:

Air Force Flight Operations manual (11-202, Volume 3):

“Pilots will not file a flight plan nor accept a clearance that requires navigating direct to a navigational fix unless the primary navigation equipment onboard the aircraft is certified for the appropriate RNAV capability. Pilots of aircraft without the appropriate RNAV capability will reply with “unable” when given a clearance to proceed direct to a fix. ATC may provide radar vectors or an alternate routing under these circumstances.”

Was asked and was given a 60-day trial subscription to navdata/obstructions/charts by Jepp.  Updated those databases.   Note when you download those to a usb stick using their update manager, it not only copies those databases but also creates a tiny authorization file.   The unit will not update the databases without that authorization file (I tried).

As I read the manual and the discussion on the Avidyne user's forum, it is possible to connect the IFD to a Stratux.  Went to aircraft today and tried setting up wifi.  It seems that the unit in my a/c has a 4 digit/character PIN that I don't know.  Any change I made to the config in maintenance mode was not saved.   Gotta contact support and ask about overcoming this PIN issue.

The utility of connecting an IFD540 to a stratux as things presently are is questionable.  IFD software version 10.3 can do stuff with stratux data, but that software version has a couple of annoying bugs.   My IFD is still running version 10.2.something.   I'm thinking maybe that if the iPad and IFD are both connected to the Stratux, it might be possible to exchange flight plan info but I'm not sure.

Anyone have an IFD installation manual?

8 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I'm thinking maybe that if the iPad and IFD are both connected to the Stratux, it might be possible to exchange flight plan info but I'm not sure.

Anyone have an IFD installation manual?

I"m curious... I assume you know that you  don't need a Stratux for an IFD to exchange flight plan information with an iPad. Are you wondering whether trying to use the IFD as a WiFi client for Stratux and as a WiFi host for a tablet at the same time might not work?

FWIW, Avidyne has a pretty extensive library of 'how-to' instructional videos for all things about running an IFD.   They're reasonably well done and informative.   The library is pretty huge so sometimes you have to search through a bit to find something specific to a particular topic.   If you scroll down a bit at the link you'll find "Connecting Foreflight v12.4 with IFD". 

There is also an "Avidyne Pilots Club" FB group where some of the engineering/technical staff are pretty responsive to questions and issues.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218906332326604
  • Like 1