Stupid Avidyne Tricks

Love the new 440.  But - how do you nuke everything in the current flight plan?

Went out and shot approaches to three airports.  I kept adding a new destination / approach.  After a while the FMS page was pretty jacked up.  Would be nice to be able to clean it all out.

Has anyone been able to link their iPad/Foreflight to the unit?

11 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

Has anyone been able to link their iPad/Foreflight to the unit?

Yes I have. Do you have WiFi enabled on your 440? If so you can use local WiFi from the IFD440 to connect directly to the ipad and then transfer flightplans back and forth. If you have a Stratus 2 or 2s you can put the IFD440 in Remote WiFi using the Stratus as a hotspot. 

I came over from Garmin Pilot to Foreflight recently so I use my bluetooth to connect Foreflight to my Garmin GDL 39 3D for AHRS, weather and traffic (I also have the Skytrax 100 connected to the IFD 550). Then I use the WiFi Local connection as described above.

This may help: http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1319&title=foreflight-91

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you have a Stratus 2 or 2s you can put the IFD440 in Remote WiFi using the Stratus as a hotspot. 

I have never gotten this to work?  When I called tech support they told me that Foreflight doesn't support this yet.  Please share your secret.....

On 7/14/2017 at 5:06 AM, tony said:

I have never gotten this to work?  When I called tech support they told me that Foreflight doesn't support this yet.  Please share your secret.....

Foreflight 9.1 and beyond definitely supports it. Go to this post and read through it and it will walk you through it

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1319&title=foreflight-91

On 7/14/2017 at 6:06 AM, tony said:

Tony,

what is the issue you are having?  With Stratus on go to config mode on the IFD and set to remote wifi changing wifi name to that of your stratus. Reboot IFD. 

For me it was quite simple and I am happy to try and help. 

• Like 1

On the IFD,

• I go to the WiFi set up page in maintenance mode,
  • I set the WiFi to remote,
  • I make sure the SSID is exactly the same (including upper and lower case) to the name on my iPad for the Stratus network
  • I leave the password blank
  • I reboot the IFD to get out of maintenance mode
  • I push "allow" WiFi when the IFD completes the reboot 

What did I miss?

14 minutes ago, tony said:

On the IFD,

• I go to the WiFi set up page in maintenance mode,
  • I set the WiFi to remote,
  • I make sure the SSID is exactly the same (including upper and lower case) to the name on my iPad for the Stratus network
  • I leave the password blank
  • I reboot the IFD to get out of maintenance mode
  • I push "allow" WiFi when the IFD completes the reboot 

What did I miss?

Download a free app on your iPad called Fing to see if your Avidyne is joining your Stratus network. If it is you'll see it on the Fing app.

Then look on Foreflight up near the top you'll see a little box near the AHRS selector that will allow you to transfer flight plans back and firth betwen the Avidyne and Forellight.

3 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Download a free app on your iPad called Fing to see if your Avidyne is joining your Stratus network. If it is you'll see it on the Fing app.

Then look on Foreflight up near the top you'll see a little box near the AHRS selector that will allow you to transfer flight plans back and firth betwen the Avidyne and Forellight.

I did that, I cant see it on the network.  But if I put the IFD into local mode, I can connect the iPad directly to the IFD.  Stratus firmware is up to date.  

2 minutes ago, tony said:

I did that, I cant see it on the network.  But if I put the IFD into local mode, I can connect the iPad directly to the IFD.  Stratus firmware is up to date.  

My airplane is in for maintenance right now, but if I remember correctly on Fing the IFD didn't show up as "Avidyne", but maybe "Texas instruments" (maybe that's the WiFi chip in the Avidyne)

Take a picture of your Config page in the Avidyne and the Fing page.

On my long flight today I tested pushing flight plans from ForeFlight to the IFD540 and importing the flight plan from the IFD540 to ForeFlight. I had my iPad connected to the Liowifi signal from the IFD540. It worked both directions.

In other news, the GDL69a works great with the IFD540 as well. And we were able to listen to Sirius Satellite Radio on the flight today. The IFD540 is the head unit for the GDL69a and it all comes through the PMA450a. 

So far I'm loving the new panel.

• Like 1

Got everything working.  Forgot that the network name is case sensitive (stratux not Stratux) but once that was resolved the iPad, Stratux, and 440 all talked to each other.  Got traffic & weather on the iPad although it would be nice to be able to stream stuff to the 440.  Was able to upload flight plans to the 440.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...