PPI check list

We continue to read sad tales of purchases gone wrong.  I have a list which we use in the shop combined with years old experience, I will happily post the list I use tomorrow.  I am asking you to help add additional items as necessary to improve it so that possibly others can avoid the pitfalls we read about.

Any volunteers ?

Clarence

I think that is a great idea, especially coming from a respected A&P.  With my very limited purchasing experience I will be of little help, but I will gladly same and utilize the list down the road if required. 

I really like the idea maintaining a list or knowledge base like you are describing.  I read Mooneyspace threads for months before buying, and it was a huge help.  Having a summary of most of that information in a single thread or document would be really nice for future buyers.

I really like the idea maintaining a list or knowledge base like you are describing.  I read Mooneyspace threads for months before buying, and it was a huge help.  Having a summary of most of that information in a single thread or document would be really nice for future buyers.

I agree, I couldn't imagine buying the first Mooney I looked at before I found Mooney Space..... I would probably of spent twice as much as the plane was worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We continue to read sad tales of purchases gone wrong.  I have a list which we use in the shop combined with years old experience, I will happily post the list I use tomorrow.  I am asking you to help add additional items as necessary to improve it so that possibly others can avoid the pitfalls we read about.
Any volunteers ?
Clarence

As I am soon to be in the market this would help me tremendously.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Any volunteers ?

Clarence

I think this is a great idea but caution adding too many items to the list.  Maybe it could be listed as "Doc's List" on the primary PPI Inspection List with additional items, suggested as there are contributions after you publish it, shown as addendum items.  Just like an airplane checklist, if it get's too long, there's a tendency to gloss over the very items that are the serious ones the list was designed to avoid missing in the first place.

Looks great.  

I would add:

-corrosion check of stub spar, both behind the gear wells and under the baggage compartment

-corrosion check of extruded angle aluminum longerons in the tail

-check of the flap attachments for cracking and/or compliance with SB 20-217 (Vintage models only)

I would add a Pre check section.  Then follow through with the other sections

Check wheel wells for corrosion

pull the inboard rear inspection panel and check for corrosion

Pull rear carpet check for corrosion

Bore Scope the frame tubes under the windows - check for epoxy paint

Check tanks for staining

If it fails one of the precheck then why do all the other work.

• Like 3

I'll 2nd longeron inspection. Our longerons by the battery were heavily corroded due to acid spills during battery removal. It was all painted with fresh black paint. All after a fresh 9k MSC annual. I Ended up replacing the longeron. 

-Matt

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Amended list to reflect corrosion in battery box area, wing spar corrosion notes were already there.

Clarence

Mooney Space PPI.doc

Did not look at amended list but thought you might have levels of corrosion found like surface light moderate or run for you life and don't look back. Otherwise very comprehensive list. Always appreciate your comments and contributions to this forum.