Garmin product announcement July 18

toto

On 7/19/2017 at 9:03 PM, donkaye said:

...I have never really gotten the KFC 150 to work as well as I would like it to when interfaced with the G500...

Would you care to elaborate? What hasn't worked as you'd like? Is it the GAD43E, the G500 or both? I'm strongly considering it and curious to know.

20 hours ago, PTK said:

Would you care to elaborate? What hasn't worked as you'd like? Is it the GAD43E, the G500 or both? I'm strongly considering it and curious to know.

In GPSS mode all works perfectly.  In HDG, NAV, and APR I have been unable to completely eliminate "wing rock", especially when speeds are under 110 knots.  WRT the GAD 43e which handles ALT Preselect and VS, unlike the digital APs like the GFC 700, altitudes are overshot by  40 or 50 feet, but do return to the preselected altitude after a time.  This is within the specs of the KFC 150.  I recommend getting both anyway.  When the the GFC 600 is STC's for the Mooney, you have the option of going all out with a digital AP with many more  functions that the KFC 150.  I'll be first on the list for purchasing the new AP with its added versatility and safety features.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donkaye said:

In GPSS mode all works perfectly.  In HDG, NAV, and APR I have been unable to completely eliminate "wing rock", especially when speeds are under 110 knots.  WRT the GAD 43e which handles ALT Preselect and VS, unlike the digital APs like the GFC 700, altitudes are overshot by  40 or 50 feet, but do return to the preselected altitude after a time.  

To what do you attribute the wing rock? Do you feel the altitude oveshooting is due to the GAD43E? 

I have no wing rock on mine. HDG, NAV and APR are rock solid. I occasionally do see a very slight altitude overshoot. Barely the width of the needle and certainly not 40 feet. It corrects quickly thereafter. I attribute this to how accurately I engage alt hold as I don't have preselect.

9 hours ago, PTK said:

To what do you attribute the wing rock? Do you feel the altitude oveshooting is due to the GAD43E? 

I have no wing rock on mine. HDG, NAV and APR are rock solid. I occasionally do see a very slight altitude overshoot. Barely the width of the needle and certainly not 40 feet. It corrects quickly thereafter. I attribute this to how accurately I engage alt hold as I don't have preselect.

Gains of which I don't understand are not set up correctly, but after spending $5,000 with people supposedly knowledgeable without success, I'm not willing to spend any more money on it.  The plane  flys acceptably, just not perfectly.  Overshoot is within the specs on the autopilot.