Garmin product announcement July 18

toto

11 minutes ago, PTK said:

It's a step in thd right direction but nowhere do I see the G5 providing attitude reference to the autopilot. Only the HSI G5 is mentioned. 

Per garmins website

• Leverages certificated G5 electronic flight instrument1 for primary attitude reference — plus input and display of altitude preselect, heading, vertical speed, airspeed target and flight director cues

These are tremendous steps in the right direction! A G5 can now replace the HSI system for most legacy autopilots, so that gets one of the trouble-prone and expensive systems out of the plane. If you have an old autopilot with an AI input, then you would need to retain the legacy AI, presumably as a backup, and then install the G5 as primary.

For those of us with Amish autopilots that have no AI input, we can install dual G5 and the GAD 29B and dump the vacuum system! Plus that puts us on an easy upgrade path to the GFC500 autopilot down the road to get a full feature set at a reasonable cost.

This is what I've been waiting for. It will likely end legacy HSI repairs pretty soon, as well as Sandel installations. I can't wait to see the goodies next week!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I won't shed a tear over them...too long sitting on their backsides while raising prices and not innovating. Too bad they got bought years ago and started going bad...I was hopeful when it went independent again, but nothing much seems to have changed.

• Like 1

I might jump aboard the Garmin train, once things shake out.

In any case, there is no Mooney autopilot STC yet - hey folks in Oshkosh - please ask at the tent when the M20 STC comes and if it might cover the whole line.

Also, I am wondering - what does GFC600 do for us that 500 does not?

ALSO - separate - I wish garmin pilot would allow svt on split screen with other functions, such as approach plate.  Is that coming?  Foreflight has it.

24 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I wonder what this does to Stec. My local avionics shop thinks it will be the nail in their preverbal coffin.

My guess is that this puts the nail in Aspen's coffin as well, unless of course Aspen is about to introduce a new product in the next week.  The Aspen definitely has more capabilities than a twin Garmin G5, an autopilot interface chief among them, but I suspect that most buyers won't see the cost premium.  Assuming that Garmin gives us the option of the GFC500, for the same price as the Aspen and autopilot interface you get dual G5s and a new digital autopilot.

Edited by smccray

21 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I wonder what this does to Stec. My local avionics shop thinks it will be the nail in their preverbal coffin.

Probably, I think at this point their #1 money maker is the HeliSAS autopilot anyway, actually a cool, innovative product that at $40K is a fraction of the price of competing systems. The only other thing they have going for themselves is that their autopilots are pretty much STCed for every airframe out there. Not sure how Garmin plans on closing that gap, but I'm sure they have a well thought out strategy.

Their only competitive autopilot to the GFC600 is their DigiFlight2100, but it costs around $60K and requires dual ADHRS inputs. Great autopilot BTW, the only thing out there in GA that comes close to GFC700, but way too expensive, so IIRC only marketed to turbine operators for Cessna 425 and 441, Commanders, Piper Meridians and King Airs. Requires a dual G600 installation as well, or an Avidyne retrofit glass panel that I'm not even sure is available any more. 

I got some quotes for Aspen 1000 PRO as I got excited about their last promotions. Once the avionic shop quoted me AP EA100 interface ( that I think don't even need as I have Century IIB only with no pitch control) for $ 5400 I got cold feet. The GAD 29B for $ 425 sounds much more reasonable. 

22 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

ALSO - separate - I wish garmin pilot would allow svt on split screen with other functions, such as approach plate.  Is that coming?  Foreflight has it.

You can put Plates on the slit screen just not synthetic vision. I put a screen shot of the split screen option for you.

IMG_0058.thumb.PNG.6b1e74cbc9f13eff6a06445c398b350c.PNG

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Mmm, I don't think so.

Okay- nail in the coffin is probably a little much... but the coffin is definitely prepared with the lid close by.  Can I torture the metaphor further? :)

I hope you have new knowledge of a new product coming- competition is good for us as customers.  The G5 is certainly a competitor to the Aspen 1000 now that it will interface to a legacy autopilot.  Garmin will take a bite out of new Aspen installs, although it remains to be seen how big a bite.  Aspen will of course retain support and service revenue for a while, but not forever- reduce new installs and you stop growing.  Larger aircraft and helicopters are still kept out of the G5 (I think..) but it's a matter of time.  I suspect Aspen is about to reduce the price of the single panel system and the autopilot interface, but I wouldn't buy a 10 year old piece of technology from a single product company that hasn't introduced a new product in a while.

6 hours ago, flyntgr1 said:

Am i reading that right $1800 for the kit to be ADSB out complient? 

I am of the opinion that as we get closer and closer to the 2020 Mandate that there will be more options at a lower price than what we have seen so far.

• Like 1

You sure about that? I thought the legacy AI was still required as a backup.

Depends on what you have... I've got a Lifesaver Gyro with a battery backup, so my vacuum system will go. There are other options as well.

Or maybe you don't need a backup... Many planes today fly with a vacuum AI and no backup aside from an electric TC. The G5 is certified as a primary instrument only, so it can replace a primary AI today with no mention of required backup. It cannot be used as a backup, though.

For those with AI outputs to an autopilot, it would make sense to retain it as a backup and install a G5 as primary. The autopilot doesn't care where the AI lives.

27 minutes ago, cnoe said:

Guys, if the new G5 and Autopilot options interest you then please contact Garmin as noted several places above. Here's the reply I got following my e-mailing them earlier this morning.

Screenshot (154).png

I did and received similar answer. Step by step. 

• Like 1

I have both an Aspen EFD1000 Pro and a Garmin G5 in my panel. I can easily flip the G5 between AI and HSI modes so I've seen both in flight. For my money, the Aspen is worth every penny of the premium over the G5.  I've got the EA100 interface driving my KFC150 autopilot. 

I'm very happy with the Aspen > EA100 > KFC150 combination.

• Like 3

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I have both an Aspen EFD1000 Pro and a Garmin G5 in my panel. I can easily flip the G5 between AI and HSI modes so I've seen both in flight. For my money, the Aspen is worth every penny of the premium over the G5.  I've got the EA100 interface driving my KFC150 autopilot. 

Do you know how much was the EA100 installed ? Do I need one for my Century IIB AP? I got quoted $5400 and that seems a little too much. Thanks 

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Paul-

If you would expand on this post I would really like to read it.  From the outside looking in, I don't see a reason to spend the $ for the Aspen, and I am in a position where I need to send my HSI out for work.  There are capabilities with the Aspen that are attractive to me (e.g. legacy radio integration, SVT), but I don't see the price premium at this point, particularly when I think about a backup AHARS from a dual G5 setup.

13 minutes ago, MooneyBob said:

Do you know how much was the EA100 installed ? Do I need one for my Century IIB AP? I got quoted $5400 and that seems a little too much. Thanks 

We were quoted about 5k last week for the same exact setup. The ea100 is about 2500 but apparently there is quite a bit of expected labor.

If we can replace our king 256 with a g5 and drive the AP off the Garmin for 3k in parts that would be very attractive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Garmin has an Ovation and a J, so I bet we'll be high on their list of approvals.

Based on Garmin's history around approvals, I tend to agree.

And just when I thought I got my cockpit spending habits under control from the upgrade last year...damn.  :-)

• Like 1

Just now, peevee said:

If we can replace our king 256 with a g5 and drive the AP off the Garmin for 3k in parts that would be very attractive.

Given the option of a $3K converter box, or a $7K GFC 500 and an opportunity to get rid of the KI256 and the vacuum system, I wouldn't buy the converter box.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MooneyBob said:

I believe I have an itemized invoice somewhere, but I really haven't looked at it. I spent quite a bit on the whole panel remake. Even though I believe I was only at about 50% of retail for the whole job. It was still a big number.

• Like 1