Garmin product announcement July 18

toto

The word is something big is coming. A friend of mine was going to do some panel work and the avionics guy told him to hold off until after the announcement. The avionics guys said he knew what it was but swore to secrecy. Funny thing is my friend was thinking about putting a JPI EDM930 in his A36. I can't imagine Garmin is going after the engine monitor business. Personally, my money is on a replacement for the G500. Stay tuned I suppose.

• Like 2

I'm going with G500 replacement, it has been about 2 years since their last major software version update for the 500/600 (5.0), and I know from Garmin there were no plans to go any further with G500 software. 

50 minutes ago, N6758N said:

I'm going with G500 replacement, it has been about 2 years since their last major software version update for the 500/600 (5.0), and I know from Garmin there were no plans to go any further with G500 software. 

You may be right, it could be a replacement for the G500, maybe touchscreen like the G3X, but their GDU software on the G500/600 is into the 7's now (7.12 is the last I've seen).

59676c49267a3_Garming500.jpg.a9fae891b7348bb05eaf9fb884f4d69d.jpg

31 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You may be right, it could be a replacement for the G500, maybe touchscreen like the G3X, but their GDU software on the G500/600 is into the 7's now (7.12 is the last I've seen).

59676c49267a3_Garming500.jpg.a9fae891b7348bb05eaf9fb884f4d69d.jpg

Oops, you're right Lance, I think I meant Software version 7, not 5. It's been a few years since I installed/updated a G500 system. I went to Garmin Dealer training a few years back and that is when they mentioned it was the last major revision. 

5 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Good lord, the suspense is killing me!

Garmin just postponed their announcement till after Oshkosh.

(...just kidding!!:D)

At $7,000 for the new GFC 500 autopilot at least they're in the ballpark now with Tru-Track and Trio.

I like the idea of a no-clutch servo if it's well done.

With the new G5 capabilities I may be able to keep my Century II-B and shed my vacuum system after-all while saving up for the GFC 500. It may be a while before we're added to the AML anyway.

I'm particularly happy they're not abandoning those of us flying behind a GNS530W.

Garmin says...

To express interest for the certification of additional aircraft types for either the GFC 500 or GFC 600 autopilot, please contact aviation.sales@garmin.com and provide specific aircraft make/model information.

I just got through doing this.

"Garmin also announced third-party autopilot interfaces for the G5 EHSI/DG, which provides heading and course data to existing S-TEC, Century and BendixKing autopilots. This requires the new GAD29B adapter."

This is great for us STEC owners! I'll be checking this out at OSH and long term planning for the GFC500 upgrade.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks like the GFC is a direct competitor to the Avidyne DFC90. This is good news for Mooney drivers as it doesn't look like Avidyne will ever add the M20 to the AML. Hopefully Garmin will soon.

1 minute ago, kevinw said:

Looks like the GFC is a direct competitor to the Avidyne DFC90. This is good news for Mooney drivers as it doesn't look like Avidyne will ever add the M20 to the AML. Hopefully Garmin will soon.

Email them right now at  aviation.sales@garmin.com and tell them you fly a Mooney M20 and want it added to the AML.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kevinw said:

Yeap, and Garmin comes with its own servos that pretty much work and never require any service with no clutches or brushes in the motors. Avidyne still requires you first have an S-TEC equipped aircraft, with S-Tec servos and their rather crappy service record. Go Garmin. I'm fairly positive Mooney is on their list, it would be great if they offer the GFC500 for Mooney as it can be driven with dual G5 installation with the G500/G600 requirement, so you can end up with a new autopilot and a glass panel for less than S-TEC 30 cost. The fact that it includes ESP at this price point is amazing. Best safety feature ever implemented in general aviation. You really have to want to kill yourself with ESP in a Cirrus, it's that good.

Edited by AndyFromCB
  • Like 1

Copied/pasted from an article on businesswire.com:

To express interest for the certification of additional aircraft types for either the GFC 500 or GFC 600 autopilot, please contact aviation.sales@garmin.com and provide specific aircraft make/model information. For additional information including autopilot interface compatibilities and more, visit: www.garmin.com/aviation.