Interior Project Finished

kevinw

I wanted to give a shout out to Hector from Aero Comfort in San Antonio for the magnificent work he did on my seats and trim panels. A little background...the interior on my '82 J was done back in 1999 and was in "reasonably" good condition. The plastic was good and the carpet was very good. So I decided to send my seats and trim panels down to AC and have them reupholstered. I had previous experience with AC when they leather wrapped my yokes about three years ago. The work on those was perfect so I knew I was in good hands. Plus, I've read nothing but raving reviews regarding their work. I wanted to go with black leather but it didn't go well with the carpet so I went with a dark gray. I also added headrests and had the cargo area reupholstered as well. While everything was out I cleaned up all the plastic panels with soapy water and a magic eraser and also cleaned the carpet. Attached are before and after pics. I think I lost 3 lbs of water weight installing the new stuff but the reward was well worth it. I'm very happy with the work and would recommend Aero Comfort to anyone considering new interior. This option of sending everything in really saved me a lot of money. I'm not a member of the CB club but I do like saving money where I can!

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, steingar said:

Looks awesome.  Question.  How hard is it to pull the interior?  I was thinking about doing mine at annual to check the pipes.

Not bad at all but it probably depends on how the trim panels are attached. I asked Hector the same question. Mine were attached using double-sided tape and I re-attached the new ones the same way. I also used an "adhesive helper" I guess I would call it from 3M that helps the tape stick better. The cargo panels were simply 10 screws. Not having to pull the carpet or plastic panels made it much easier. If I had to do that I think I would've made a trip to San Antonio. 

28 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Did they recover? Those old seats look 10x better than what I have now!

No. They used the seat frame of course but all new foam. They sent back the old stuff because I guy I know wanted it. Funny, I sit noticeably higher in the seat now and one notch back from the panel. The old stuff was pretty compressed and I'm sure the new will wear in as well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kevinw said:

Not bad at all but it probably depends on how the trim panels are attached. I asked Hector the same question. Mine were attached using double-sided tape and I re-attached the new ones the same way. I also used an "adhesive helper" I guess I would call it from 3M that helps the tape stick better. The cargo panels were simply 10 screws. Not having to pull the carpet or plastic panels made it much easier. If I had to do that I think I would've made a trip to San Antonio. 

What is this magical "adhesive helper" stuff you speak of?  My 3M trim tape which holds the trim pieces in place on my new interior is beginning to pull away and make my new interior look not so new.

What is this magical "adhesive helper" stuff you speak of?  My 3M trim tape which holds the trim pieces in place on my new interior is beginning to pull away and make my new interior look not so new.

0d6937d9d79a3c596e77eb8505828ef5.jpg
The guys in our body shop use this stuff. It preps the surface and allows the tape to stick better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the compliments. AC cuts no corners and my 35 year old J now has that new car (plane) smell. Hector is the master and I told him that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1