Looking for more

I just got to fly in a turbo prop twin.  I still can't wipe the smile off my face.  That thing screams.  I'd hate to pay for repairs or fuel but that brings me to the question of the century.   (I'm still smirking)  A 1968 M20F with a turbine.   Come on you know it sounds awesome.   I fly mine and I love it, I really do, but no turbo and its hot outside the thing is slow to climb.  I keep threatening it with a shot of nitrous.  A turbine would really make it scream.   I think I'd like to see a 175kt TAS is it possible?  ok back to reality:(

Yeah, I really, really enjoyed riding up front in a King Air 200 last year, but I know that'll never happen for me . . . 

Don't have the money, time or expertise to try replacing a Mooney engine with a one-off turboprop. But it would be nice to see someone else succeed! Go for it!!

I've always thought a turbine conversion for the mooneys would be a great option...  Honestly wondered why Mooney themselves haven't gone that direction, it has always been known that the Mooney fuselage responds well to extra horsepower... witness the 305 Rocket, etc.  Might even challenge a 400 Comanche ;) @M20Doc   @Sabremech, think you could work on that for your next stc?

5 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Are we talking about adding a turbocharger or hanging something that burns jet-a?

Reality says hang a turbocharger.  But that king air just has me in awe.  My wife thinks I was up to no good and I did something really bad and I keep smiling and told her I sat right seat in a king air.  I swear.  Jet A is for me if I could just figure out money....  I need to wake up from this torture

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

There is a place that hang a turbo-prop on a Bo, I think it's like $1,200,000.00, I added all the zeros to wake you up....

That must be the price to buy it outright, 'cause plane and pilot say that the conversion is $400,000...  Not really that much better, but slightly less than buying a king air outright...

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

There is a place that hang a turbo-prop on a Bo, I think it's like $1,200,000.00, I added all the zeros to wake you up....lol

I've seen a Jaguar Edition Bo with a big Rolls Royce turbo prop on the front of it. Looked good! Wish I'd been there when he departed . . . . .

The King Air, headed for fuel with only us two souls aboard, had phenomenal acceleration; full of fuel, though, it was a different animal, and gentle enough on the controls that I could fly the approach. The thought of the fuel bill, though, makes me want to throw up, even if the airplane and insurance were free . . .

I met a guy flying a turbo-prop Bo. He landed right in front of me at Mustang Beach. After we both shut down, we stood around and chatted for a bit. He likes his plane, but says it's really only good for about 600 nm and will only carry two people. Of course that's about my usual flight anyway, but he's about 75 knots faster.

I just looked at @Dream to fly's original post...  He's looking for 175kts, that can easily be achieved in a Mooney without turbine conversion.  I think a 305 Rocket conversion or even possibly a 231 or 252 would fit his bill...  Much easier on the pocketbook and much less of a fuel bill.

7 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I think the 60 gallon tanks on the mooney would get the turbine fired up and taxied out....  I guess maybe one of those Air Force tankers would let you get some more fuel.

We flew the pattern a few times and did some climbs and some high speed runs and landed.  Topped the tanks at 84.3 gallons...  way out of my league.  But two fans is such a rush. 

Job has his Missile posted for sale.
300hp in an M20J... cruise 175. Climb like a rocket. Burn 100LL.  easy NA operations.
Priced well under a million dollars too.
Go Mooney!
Best regards,
-a-

If I had my ifr and about five to ten years of flying my 201 I would be looking at his Missile. It looks like a great plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cctsurf said:

I just looked at @Dream to fly's original post...  He's looking for 175kts, that can easily be achieved in a Mooney without turbine conversion.  I think a 305 Rocket conversion or even possibly a 231 or 252 would fit his bill...  Much easier on the pocketbook and much less of a fuel bill.

A rocket with do 175 at like 60 percent power, lol

I would think a 231 or a rayjay converted e or f would do the job just fine.

23 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

If I had my ifr and about five to ten years of flying my 201 I would be looking at his Missile. It looks like a great plane.

If you can fly the J you can fly the Missile. A little bit more nose heavy and a bit more inertia in pitch, but you will figure it out. 

• Like 1

If you can fly the J you can fly the Missile. A little bit more nose heavy and a bit more inertia in pitch, but you will figure it out. 

I was thinking more along the line my better half would kill me if I bought a new plane just 4 months after I bought the 201:) but I really would want my ifr. I hate not having it now with all the places the 201 could be taking me. That Missile is really well equipped and looks like it's in great shape.

21 hours ago, cctsurf said:

I've always thought a turbine conversion for the mooneys would be a great option...  Honestly wondered why Mooney themselves haven't gone that direction, it has always been known that the Mooney fuselage responds well to extra horsepower... witness the 305 Rocket, etc.  Might even challenge a 400 Comanche ;) @M20Doc   @Sabremech, think you could work on that for your next stc?

A local operator somehow converted a  cessna 180 to have a turbine in the front. Called it experimental or a homebuilt. Not sure how he did that but he had mooney speeds out of that 182 airframe. Makes one wonder what the M20 would be like with a PT upfront...

12 minutes ago, milotron said:

A local operator somehow converted a  cessna 180 to have a turbine in the front. Called it experimental or a homebuilt. Not sure how he did that but he had mooney speeds out of that 182 airframe. Makes one wonder what the M20 would be like with a PT upfront...

there's already a 182 turbine conversion out there, not a huge stretch on a 180.

I think a turbine mooney would be essentially useless and impractical.

There are two turbine bo's at KPSO apparently. I guess they like them. I think they are both rocket conversions

http://turbinebonanza.com/

Just now, revwatch said:

Supposedly 30-50lbs heaver than a 540.

well, depending on the airframe that's huge. I couldn't take 30lbs more over what we have with the t-520 on the nose. Then someone has to make a mount and STC the whole thing to the airframe. It'll never happen I'm afraid.