Instrument circuit breaker pops

3 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Before I go full on diag , Has any one had the breaker for the instruments pop , and what was the problem... Thanks in advance..

Yes. A novice A&P tried changing the breaker but it didn't help. :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alan Fox said:
Before I go full on diag , Has any one had the breaker for the instruments pop , and what was the problem... Thanks in advance..

Klixon breakers? If so, I would suspect it if it has some years on it. I've replaced a number of them for popping for no reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1) When they wear, the click gets softer and softer until there is very little click to keep them engaged...

2) They are temperature sensitive. Heat generated in the CB + temperature inside the cockpit is the driving force to open the CB. As they wear, they generate more heat.

3) If the click is strong and temps were cold, the chance of something shorting out is large...

4) If the click is soft and temps are hot, the chance of needing a new CB is large...

5) summer is tough on CBs.

6) I wonder if a good contact cleaner would help minimize resistance/heat build up.

PP thoughts only.  Alan is the guy I went to for electrical advice regarding my other bird. ('95 Firebird)

my chance of helping him out is pretty minimal.  But I keep trying... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I don't have a breaker for "instruments" in my J. But I do have one for "Radio and Inst Lts". That popped last summer and turned out to be a short circuit behind the panel somewhere. To be honest, didn't even notice a difference as I was really only doing daytime flights then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 0:48 AM, carusoam said:

5) summer is tough on CBs.

I thought it was maintenance invoices?

I haven encountered an electric trim switch was the culprit in a CB that continued to pop.  The circuit breaker was replaced.  I though that was the likely culprit as the plastic engagement thing that keeps the spring loaded and the CB in the closed position was weak.  I eventually examined the leads to the trim switch and found an area that looked like it had been shorting across. 

• Like 1