routes/stops to SNF

ugmech

This year we've decided to try Sun N Fun, so I'd like to know what route and stops along the way would you guys use. Our last known stop will be Clare Mi 48D to visit friends. I have limited experience in the U.S. & have never flown south of Mi. It will be VFR using flight following. We're looking for low cost fuel, close to the airport food & rooms (if required due to weather). I'd prefer to stay away from larger airports but controlled or uncontrolled dosen't matter.

Thanks in advance

Ron

Hi Ron,

Well, can't help you with the full route, but the best way to find cheap fuel along your flight path is to use Air Nav.  Just plug in your desired data and it'll spit out the fuel locations and cost for you.  Some of the other internet trip planners will also do the same thing for you.

http://www.airnav.com/plan/fuel/

Hope you get to make the trip.  I need to do the same at some point if I can stay in the States long enough...Undecided

Edit: Just realized you can't add Canadian airports into AirNav.  I'm assuming you'd cross into Michigana and head south so I'd just use Sault Sainte Marie, MI and enter ANJ for the start point.  Looks like a long flight, but an adventure worth taking.

Hey Ron,

I plugged your route from 48D to LAL into my Voyager Skypad and found your best fuel stop is approx. at the halfway point (just over 3 hrs). Middlesboro, KY (1A6) has a current fuel price of $3.85. I've never been there, but having a population of 14,000 should have a few motels and or restaurants to choose from. Good luck and have fun on the trip!