SUMMER TIME AND HOT STARTS

Danb

Summer is upon us, I have never had problems with hot starting until today, any hints, helps other than whats in the POH would be helpful. I almost was stuck after 7-8 tries and resting the plane for a few more minutes the hot start procedure in the POH worked.

29 minutes ago, Danb said:

Summer is upon us, I have never had problems with hot starting until today, any hints, helps other than whats in the POH would be helpful. I almost was stuck after 7-8 tries and resting the plane for a few more minutes the hot start procedure in the POH worked.

The easiest way is call Marauder's Hot Start Service. Guaranteed starts or we will replace your battery and starter for free!

On a more serious, mature, almost adult like response; with the hot, humid weather we have been having recently, I find the best approach is to leave everything where I had it for shutdown. If it doesn't catch within 5 or 6 blades (extremely rare), I would move to a flooded engine start. The issue is usually that the fuel lines are so frigging hot you can actually hear the fuel sizzling. I would imagine you turbo guys probably have even more heat to deal with on shutdown. 

What does your POH say to use as a procedure?

• Like 2

Fuel injected engines can definitely be tricky to start when you're doing a hot start not too long after engine shutdown.   If the engine is not been shut down for a very long then you do not need to prime. It is hard to tell if the engine has been shut down long enough to where it needs to be primed. If the engine needs to be primed and you do not, it won't start on your first attempt.   If the engine does not need to be primed, and you prime it, then it will be flooded. 

This is the procedure that I have started using. It seems to work although I don't always start the engine on the first try.  First I will try to start the engine without priming. If that does not get the engine started, I will prime the engine and attempt a second start. If that does not work either I will assume that the engine is flooded and go to the flooded start procedure.  Usually this will allow me to start the engine on the first or second try but sometimes I have to make 3 attempts.

I put the throttle, mixture forward for 10 seconds (if you watch the fuel pressure you'll see it drop), then do the normal hot start procedure, this insures consistent starts, still takes a few seconds to fire up.

P.S. Using this method I've never had to resort to using the flooded start method.

Hot start procedure that works for me...

1) Throttle in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, prop forward, mixture full rich

2) Boost pump on for three seconds...only three seconds

3) Mixture to idle cutoff, crank, enrich as it catches...but slowly enrich, not jamming it in.

4) Lean as necessary

My $0.02

Throttle 1/4", mixture idle.  Crank 5-10 sec.  If it sputters but doesn't catch, I'll push the mixture about 1" (around my lean-for-taxi mixture) for a couple seconds then back to idle while still cranking. If all that fails then I flood the engine, wait a minute for the starter to cool, then do a flooded start.

Almost got stranded last month because of difficult hot starting.  I put fine-wires on the left mag only, and this made a HUGE difference.

3 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

Doesn't the answer depend on the engine?  The Lycombing in my J handled hot starts different than the Continental in my R. 

It does, and in the case of our engines, I find the POH procedures for warm and hot starts more than sufficient.

Steve

I've tried the POH and flooded start when hot with varying degrees of success.  Lately, I have had very good luck with just turning the key.  The second that it starts to want to turn on its own, hit the high boost for a quick shot to clear the fuel line.  

Brad

On my J I was taught to bring the rpms to 1200 on shutdown, lock the throttle so you dont bump it and shut it down with the mixture.  On start up touch nothing,  just turn on the master and crank. 4 blades or less and it cranks up. This has never failed me. 

The O's IO550 has a fancy fuel system that allows for returning hot fuel and vapor back to the tank.

the fuel systems are supplied by the engine manufacturer.

The O's fuel system also includes the tank selector switch that has the return line that goes back to the tank that has been selected for the flight.

Some older planes only returns to one tank.

Best regards,

-a-

For really hot starts like shutting down just for refueling, I just run the fuel pump for a minute or so, mixture aft, just to clear the vapor from the lines. Then shut fuel pump off and it usually starts no problem. Occasionally if is starts to cut out I quickly turn on the fuel pump and keep it on for a minute or so until it smooths out. 

If it is warm I usually hit it with a couple of seconds of fuel ( mixture full rich and boost pump on) then mixture full aft and continue running boost pump for a minute or so, then boost pump off and start. I think the key is getting the hot vapor moved through the lines before trying to start, and not to flood it in the process.

i thought I was using Don Maxwell's technique but I guess not.  I have an IO360:  Throttle full in, mixture full out, no fuel pump.  When it fires mixture in and throttle out to idle. Starts EVERY time, first time. Hmmm. Maybe it falls into Rod Machado's "So What" factor.  As a female pilot and maybe a bit lazy, I don't like to have to pull my plane to or from the fuel pit, so I have become accustomed to hot starts. 

Maxwell taught me a simple method on my Ovation.  Mixture full like cold start and turn the key with the left hand and push/work the throttle in and out a couple of inches back and forth while cranking.  Its simple and works.

Russ