Cleaning the glass in our planes

nels

12 hours ago, rbridges said:

I don't have running water in my hangar, so I will sometimes spray it down really good to get the dirt/dust off the windshield before cleaning.  I use pledge.  It does leave a residue if you don't wipe it completely, but it hasn't caused any problems to the windshield over the past several years.  I use microfiber cloths.  Even the cheaper ones seem to clean without leaving any scratches.

I don't have running water either, so I use one of those gallon pesticide spray bottles, the kind with the hand pump on top to pressurize the container.  I fill it with water and a couple drops of car wash detergent, and you can get a pretty good spray to get the loose grime off the windshield.  A lot easier than a normal spray bottle.  For bugs, set it to fine mist, and wet down the windshield.  If you wait and come back 5 minutes later, bugs usually wipe off easily.

For final cleaning, I use Novus plastic cleaner.  Cheaper than Plexus

I have leather interior, and a leather headliner around the windows. I was wondering what I should use on the inside of the windows? Just spray some plex cleaner on a rag and wipe it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I have leather interior, and a leather headliner around the windows. I was wondering what I should use on the inside of the windows? Just spray some plex cleaner on a rag and wipe it down?

Yep, that's what I do

• Like 1

Hard to beat a bottle of water and a microfiber. I love plexus too. But at 18-20/can I'd rather have a few more gallons of avgas and a 6 pack. 

The Avlabs clear view is nice, but it streaks more then the Plexus. Prist is also good. 

-Matt

• Like 1

I've been using Lemon Pledge on my various windshields for over four decades. I used to use washed baby diapers, but now I only use clean microfiber cloths. Costco has bundles of yellow microfiber cloths (auto section) at relatively low cost. I try to use new, unwashed cloths for the windshield- generally three each time. No scratches, no visible deterioration, and the bugs come off easily. And the stuff even smells good. For what it is worth, I use it on my plastic dodger side curtains on my boat. Hope they never change their formulation.

• Like 1

Prist is foamy, works well, and at $6.50 a can at Aircraft Spruce it's $10.25 cheaper than Plexus. I also use Pledge on the wings and cowling, and when I get over-spray on the windscreen it works fine there as well.

Now my IA insisted last week that I try a new (to me) product (polish/sealer) called "F11 Topcoat". It did a marvelous job of making my old windows look new again but at $59.97 for a 16 oz bottle I won't be using it for routine cleanings. I should mention that for the ~$60 they also throw in a free micro-fiber towel.;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kerry said:

Rinsco is a generic furniture polish I get at the 99 cent store.  It's a dollar a can.  I can't tell the difference between it and Plexus.  It does not leave a waxy residue like pledge.  I've used it for years with no problems.

You have my vote for CB winner for the day.

On 7/11/2017 at 0:40 PM, bradp said:

Best thing is wash with mild soap, water, and a clean hand with no rings or anything.  Use a soft cotton t shirt or flannel (I get it by the yard at Joann fabric and cut it).

Never let a line guy come at your windows with anything except 3M aviation wipes that are safe for tranparencies.  Any regular paper towel or shop towel or whatever will scratch and degrade your transperancies.  

Cotton scratches worse than shop towels. In the automotive world, it's Detailing 101. Never use cotton unless you want pseudo-sanding like action (on wheels or baked on stuff).

Walmart has window-safe white shop towels for $1 more than the regular blue ones.

21 hours ago, INA201 said:

I see Plastx in there. What's it for and do? 

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

I was using it for the LED light. Stopped that and am using Plexus on everything.

21 hours ago, 201er said:

The plastx is good for polishing out small scratches out of the windshield but not for regular cleaning.

This. PlastX is a mild detergent agent with chlorine in it to bleach and remove oxidation on plastic surfaces. We use it on vehicle headlights inbetween sanding layers. I would not advise using it for cleaning.

+1 for Prist in the spray can, not the fuel additive...
One can lasts a long time...
Best regards,
-a-

I bought a can with the plane and it lasted me just under four months. I just bought a case of it. Should be set for awhile:)

26 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Oshkosh usually has deals on Plexus.  They have a cleaner too.

I've only ever seen the one product, which is billed as a cleaner/polish. Have they come out with something new?

On 7/11/2017 at 0:04 PM, Bravoman said:

Plexus is the bomb. Pledge? You guys ain't kiddin when you say you're cheap!:P

It all the same just a different price. The Harley people have the same concerns. Plexiglass, bugs and nice paint jobs. This guy did a nice post on the chemical ingredients and function.

http://www.hdtalking.com/threads/chemical-analysis-of-pledge-furniture-polish.13248/

The one downside to Pledge is that it contains silicone.  If anyone was planning on a new paint job (or touch up) in the next few years, I would steer clear.  Silicone residue will make a new paint much more difficult to clean prior to paint application.

I bought some stuff at the local Harley Davidson shop and it works great. They sold one item that was specifically for bug removal and works well on their windsreens. I also bought Novus 1 and Novus 2 to polish away fine scratches. They work great. If things are really bad there's Novus 3 that takes out the deeper scratches and then you work your way back through Novus 2 and Novus 1 to get to a like new surface. Mine wasn't that far gone and I never bought #3 which you would have to order special (the Harley store didn't carry #3). I also bought the micro mesh pads instead of just using paper towels and that was great but lately I've used paper towels and they seem OK too.