Cleaning the glass in our planes

nels

What do you guys use to clean the windshield etc.? I've been using just polish but tried Windex the other day and in doing so those splattered bugs sure came off easy. Is there any problem using any particular detergents when washing the plane and the plexiglass windows?

At the recommendation of several mooneyspacers I use Plexus. A little spendy...about $15 a can but works very well. A can will last quite a long time. Windex is a no no. Anything with ammonia is not good I was told.

DON'T USE WINDEX!!!

Anything that contains ammonia will rapidly degrade the Plexiglas and ruin it.

Plexus works great but is expensive.

Any commercial plastic polish is OK.

Some people use furniture polish. I've tried it and it seems to leave too much residue.

For the last 15 years or so I've been using spray wax from the Aviation isle at Auto Zone. I don't know what's in it but I have no signs of degradation.

I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions....

• Like 1

Best thing is wash with mild soap, water, and a clean hand with no rings or anything.  Use a soft cotton t shirt or flannel (I get it by the yard at Joann fabric and cut it).

Plexus and pledge are good. Pledge is cheap and seems safe after a few years of use but leaves a waxy residue - especially if it's cold outside.  Plexus leaves less residues.  

Its best to wash the window with water to get the pieces of bugs, dirt etc off before you start polishing with plexus.  If you have a choice of soapy water followed by rinsing with clean water, water alone, or plexus alone I would go in that order.  If you have gritty things on the windshield and put plexus alone on it you will still risk rubbing and scratching with the gritty stuff caught between the window and the cloth despite the foamy bubbles.

I bought plexiglass polis from LP aero and that stuff is both safe and works well for a polisher.  

I guess the moral of my story is cleaning and polishing should be considered separate steps.  

Never let a line guy come at your windows with anything except 3M aviation wipes that are safe for tranparencies.  Any regular paper towel or shop towel or whatever will scratch and degrade your transperancies.  

• Like 1

I don't have running water in my hangar, so I will sometimes spray it down really good to get the dirt/dust off the windshield before cleaning.  I use pledge.  It does leave a residue if you don't wipe it completely, but it hasn't caused any problems to the windshield over the past several years.  I use microfiber cloths.  Even the cheaper ones seem to clean without leaving any scratches.

Someone say glass cleaning?

21e6b30b27550e9479588a1d6b2c9cb7.jpg

I used the Permatex plexiglass cleaner for years and it was fine. Didn't introduce scratches. I have since switched to Plexus. Plexus seems to help alleviate some of the finer scratches.

The important part about using the cleaners is not to try to remove bugs that have been allowed to dry for a few days. If they are caked on, I will water down the glass and use a soap with a microfiber towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Pledge works great and is cheap. Lemon seems to work best. I find it works best to use one side to polish and the other side to wipe any residue off. It also works great getting the bugs off the leading edge and cowling. Key is to have a soft, clean towel. 

• Like 1

IMG_0274.PNG

I use it on the entire exterior and interior except on the leather. Frequent cleaning is key. I clean leading edges and plexi after every flight. 

"Cleans plexiglass, removes oil smudges and breaks down organic soils like bugs and fingerprints quickly and effortlessly. Leaves behind nothing but a clean shine!.. ...The Zep Commercial Foaming Glass Cleaner is an Ammonia Free formula. Use on glass, windows, mirrors, and Plexiglas. Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-888-805-4357 and a representative will be happy to assist you. Sincerely, Zep Commercial Retail Technical Support."

The CB in me refuses to pay 20$ for a 7oz. can of plexus! The ZEP is a 19 oz. can for $2.97 at the local Home Depot.

I'd rather pay the 20$ for avgas!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Someone say glass cleaning?

21e6b30b27550e9479588a1d6b2c9cb7.jpg

I used the Permatex plexiglass cleaner for years and it was fine. Didn't introduce scratches. I have since switched to Plexus. Plexus seems to help alleviate some of the finer scratches.

The important part about using the cleaners is not to try to remove bugs that have been allowed to dry for a few days. If they are caked on, I will water down the glass and use a soap with a microfiber towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see Plastx in there. What's it for and do? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I was using it for the LED light. Stopped that and am using Plexus on everything.

The plastx is good for polishing out small scratches out of the windshield but not for regular cleaning.

• Like 1

When I fly 1300nm+ nonstop legs in my 201er, I use Plexus. Plexus is easier to use than ordinary cleaners. Its convenient aerosol applicator prevents dripping, leaking, evaporating, and coagulating at the tip of the nozzle (as is common with pumps and squeeze bottles). To use Plexus, simply spray and wipe - no buffing, no mess, and no waste. You can tell it's top notch because it has the word Lexus in the name. 

Of course, there's really only one way to be convinced about the superiority of Plexus: try it yourself. Plexus comes in a variety of sizes for a number of uses. So when you're looking for the most effective cleaner, protectant and polish for any kind of plastic, there's only one clear choice.

Plexus.

Clearly the Best. ®

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 201er said:

When I fly 1300nm+ nonstop legs in my 201er, I use Plexus. Plexus is easier to use than ordinary cleaners. Its convenient aerosol applicator prevents dripping, leaking, evaporating, and coagulating at the tip of the nozzle (as is common with pumps and squeeze bottles). To use Plexus, simply spray and wipe - no buffing, no mess, and no waste. You can tell it's top notch because it has the word Lexus in the name. 

Of course, there's really only one way to be convinced about the superiority of Plexus: try it yourself. Plexus comes in a variety of sizes for a number of uses. So when you're looking for the most effective cleaner, protectant and polish for any kind of plastic, there's only one clear choice.

Plexus.

Clearly the Best. ®

So in addition to parrot whisperer, you write ad copy for tv commercials? Perfect script, right at 30 seconds. I could even visualize the shots. Excellent job! 

• Like 1