Aspen Promotion

Aspen just announced a software sale for their loyal customers.

Celebrating 10 years - EFD1000 Pro

They're offering their AOA, SV, and ADS-B software options for $1295 which they say is a saving of $4400. (Installation is extra) (Their MSRP for AOA is $2790 and for SV is $2995.)

I already have AOA (CYA100) and ADS-B (GDL 88) so for me it is a question of whether the SV on a single (smallish) screen is of much value.

Does anyone know if their ADS-B software would put weather and traffic from my Garmin stuff on the PDF without additional hardware?

pireps?

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

They're offering their AOA, SV, and ADS-B software options for $1295 which they say is a saving of $4400. (Installation is extra) (Their MSRP for AOA is $2790 and for SV is $2995.)

I already have AOA (CYA100) and ADS-B (GDL 88) so for me it is a question of whether the SV on a single (smallish) screen is of much value.

Does anyone know if their ADS-B software would put weather and traffic from my Garmin stuff on the PDF without additional hardware?

pireps?

I *think* their ADS-B software is an unlock to allow other than the Aspen branded Freeflight boxes to be displayed on the PDF and MDF, Bob. I have all that stuff on the Bravo, and the SV is nice. Not as nice as on a G1000, but nice.[1]

In it is cool to put that bullseye on the end of the runway on approach. Traffic is really cool. All that said, I have a NGT9000 that does 1090 ES  (no service ceiling restriction for your plane with one of those) and talks to everything including the "I" thingies. I have no clue what kind of disablement "features" the GTN, GDL88 etc will pose as a challenge for you, but Ill bet it is something. 1300 is a pretty nice deal considering what you get for sure.

I have already weenie wagged about the AOA with you :)

[1] Its also not 12 AMU's or so like the g1000 SV is.

• Like 1

Appendix M of the install manual contains info on the Third Party ADSB Installation Information

L-3 NGT-2500

L-3 NGT-9000/9000+/9000D

Garmin GDL 88 and GTX 345

I believe the unlock is for these units. Per Aspen, you can connect up to three units to the single output ADSB source. (wired connections) requires software 2.8.3 or later

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I *think* their ADS-B software is an unlock to allow other than the Aspen branded Freeflight boxes to be displayed on the PDF and MDF, Bob. I have all that stuff on the Bravo, and the SV is nice. Not as nice as on a G1000, but nice.[1]

In it is cool to put that bullseye on the end of the runway on approach. Traffic is really cool. All that said, I have a NGT9000 that does 1090 ES  (no service ceiling restriction for your plane with one of those) and talks to everything including the "I" thingies. I have no clue what kind of disablement "features" the GTN, GDL88 etc will pose as a challenge for you, but Ill bet it is something. 1300 is a pretty nice deal considering what you get for sure.

I have already weenie wagged about the AOA with you :)

[1] Its also not 12 AMU's or so like the g1000 SV is.

Mike, my E is probably not going to be flying in Class A though I suppose it could get there, gasping, and I have a mask. 

I'm please to hear that traffic is discernible on the Aspen. I have it on the GTN 750 (and thanks to Garmin Pilot, Nancy can watch traffic on her tablet) but freeing up the 750 for nav, wp info, and weather would be useful.

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Mike, my E is probably not going to be flying in Class A though I suppose it could get there, gasping, and I have a mask. 

I'm please to hear that traffic is discernible on the Aspen. I have it on the GTN 750 (and thanks to Garmin Pilot, Nancy can watch traffic on her tablet) but freeing up the 750 for nav, wp info, and weather would be useful.

With SV the traffic would also be depicted in 3D...forward looking but that's all you should need in a Mooney :) 

This is a great deal IMO. 

pireps?

Bob - I have the ADS-B unlock on my Aspens and I know it does provide the GTX-345 traffic and weather on the PFD. Not sure about the GDL-88 but I think a call to Aspen would answer that question.

Based on what I saw on the promotion, I'm leaning on adding it to my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Godfather said:

With SV the traffic would also be depicted in 3D...forward looking but that's all you should need in a Mooney :) 

This is a great deal IMO. 

Thanks to all. I told my avionics shop to order it a few minutes ago. (Robbie works his email this time of night.)

• Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

Bob - I have the ADS-B unlock on my Aspens and I know it does provide the GTX-345 traffic and weather on the PFD. Not sure but the GDL-88 but I think a call to Aspen would answer that question.

Based on what I saw on the promotion, I'm leaning on adding it to my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robbie says he'll just have to run 2 wires from the GDL 88 to the Aspen. Sweet. (I'll probably remove and reinstall the interior panels and save myself a day of his time at avionics shop rates. I'll pull the wire if he'll okay it. A fellow has to uphold his CB status, if I have any of that left.) 

• Like 1

Chris let me know how your MSC does on your current annual. Mine goes in before end of July, just can't wait to see what they screw up this year, a great flying plane goes in a surprise comes out.

12 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yep, you wont be going into class A legally now for sure with this plane. As you say, you would probably never go there, but with a UAT vs 1090ES, you might as well take a red pen to the type cert of your plane as it is now limited to under 18000.

a minor nit to pick, but it begs the question to consider for those yet to drink the ADS-B koolaid "why limit the  plane further to save less than an AMU/"  If I had to chose between 2 otherwise equal planes, I would take the one without this restriction. 

42 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Yep, you wont be going into class A legally now for sure with this plane. As you say, you would probably never go there, but with a UAT vs 1090ES, you might as well take a red pen to the type cert of your plane as it is now limited to under 18000.

a minor nit to pick, but it begs the question to consider for those yet to drink the ADS-B koolaid "why limit the  plane further to save less than an AMU/"  If I had to chose between 2 otherwise equal planes, I would take the one without this restriction. 

Understand. I've been flying with ADS-B for almost 5 years. There are many more options now than in 2012 but I am very happy that I was an early adopter. If I were going to go above 18,000 feet with my old E I'd need more than another ADS-B out device. Think TN.

10 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thanks to all. I told my avionics shop to order it a few minutes ago. (Robbie works his email this time of night.)

It should be a fairly quick install/update. Let us know how it turns out. I believe with SVT, traffic is also included on the AI not just the HSI. Oscar has it on his plane and I believe I saw traffic show up as little circles on the AI.

As for the traffic display. When I made the decision to go the L-3 9000+ & FlightStream 510 direction, I basically disabled traffic & weather on Garmin Pilot (I can still fire up the GDL-39 as a backup). I was initially concerned about this because the iPad had become an integral part of my flying. Now with traffic and weather showing up on the Aspens, traffic on the GTN and with the L-3 having it's own display, Garmin Pilot has been relegated to a flight plan entry mechanism & for charts.

Once an approach is loaded, the approach shows up on the MFD, along with traffic and weather. As for the co-pilot, the L-3 allows for a variety of apps to connect to the WiFi for traffic and weather. I have FlightPln Go loaded up on the full size iPad and my wife can use that app but I am finding she is gravitating to the L-3's display. I am still amazed at how much information this new technology provides!

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

@Marauder Robbie tells me the SVT can be selected to display on just the HSI or the full display of the PFD. 

The screen shots I have seen show it can be active on the AI by itself or on the whole screen (AI & HSI). Not sure it can just be turned on the HSI. Let me research it.

• Like 1

The PFD display options for ESV are:

Full Screen,

Split Screen with the standard Nav Display, or

Split Screen with the Nav Display overlaying the Topographical Map

When a PFD or EBD or MFD has the Synthetic Vision (ESV) option enabled it is required
that a Sonalert be connected to the PFD unless TAWS is installed