August 2017 total eclipse

Bartman

Hey I'm already in Idaho Falls on the edge of totality I was thinking about flying it just to have a different perspective, a slightly longer eclipse time and can fly in the center of the eclipse.  It will add seconds maybe  a minute or two to the eclipse.  I know the shadow travels pretty fast but a Mooney is faster. :D

There is a group that chases eclipses in a jet at about FL30 they can extend the eclipse for minutes.

Even though your question was dismissed "as just a shadow"others have designed and experiment based on an earlier eclipse:
IMG_3099.thumb.PNG.6a84a30b1a160eb74958dc1b773bc798.PNG

The question was will it disrupt aviation. Can you design experiments to detect it? Of course. Will your vhf radio and gps still work? Yup. It's a big shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, 1964-M20E said:

Hey I'm already in Idaho Falls on the edge of totality I was thinking about flying it just to have a different perspective, a slightly longer eclipse time and can fly in the center of the eclipse.  It will add seconds maybe  a minute or two to the eclipse.  I know the shadow travels pretty fast but a Mooney is faster. :D

There is a group that chases eclipses in a jet at about FL30 they can extend the eclipse for minutes.

You should pop over the hill to Jackson hole for "e ride"

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

I'm wondering that, too.   Hoping to be able to fly to either eastern WY or western NE.   Alliance, NE, home of CarHenge (which is awesome), is having a bit of a shindig, so maybe someplace like that.

The hotels are already booked in most Nebraska cities on 21 August.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

The hotels are already booked in most Nebraska cities on 21 August.

With an airplane, though, it's a quick pop over there for the required visit, and then back to wherever. ;)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EricJ said:

With an airplane, though, it's a quick pop over there for the required visit, and then back to wherever. ;)

I've got some friends in Austin who are all complaining about the lack of available hotel rooms. They fly Bonanza's. I let them know that since I fly a Mooney, it would just be a quick "lunch" run up to MO to see the eclipse and back in time for dinner. As a Mooney pilot, I didn't need a hotel.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I've been calling around today and one airport already turned me away as being full for parking.   One non-towered airport will be first-come first-served, which might be an interesting adventure.

Edited by EricJ

• 3 weeks later...

Final plans...looks like the 5 day forecast shows a "Big Blue H" directly over South Carolina so that may be the best spot. 

Regardless of where we watch, the wife and I are taking the Zero Gravity chairs which are perfect in form, function and appropriately named for the event.. Since we know to the second the exact time of the beginning, duration, and end of totality, it is easy to choreograph music to the event. I will have Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon timed perfectly such that totality begins just as ClareTorry sings her first note and belts out her emotional vocal solo beginning at 1:07 seconds into The Great Gig in the Sky. Just as we take off our Eclipse glasses, which are appropriately named for the music she begins to sing for a perfect 2:30 seconds of the first and second parts of her solo.....coincidence, I think not. 

You are welcome. Enjoy !!!

• Like 1

Airports clogging up for the event? YUP!!!!!

Casper is full, no landings without reservation, all full. They even have international arrivals for Customs. 

The Hole, full  Driggs might be an option, and cheaper than The Hole.

All of eastern Oregon is full

I don't know about further east. 

All hotels within a 4 hr drive of the path center are sold out in the western US.  I got the last room in a town about an hour by Mooney from the path. Roads are forecast to be gridlocked. There are a couple of smaller airports out west that are not full yet but are first come first served on the 21st. Most parking will be on grass or dirt off of the taxiways. Watching the weather day by day.