August 2017 total eclipse

Bartman

We have been thinking about flying to the most sunny location available on August 21 to watch the total eclipse. Still, unless it is totally severe clear you still take a chance on missing a once in a lifetime opportunity.  Anybody thinking about watching it from the air? I figure if you are  above the clouds and clear air you may potentially see more than you would on the ground. At 12,500 you could orbit in a 20 degree bank with the autopilot in calm air. You should be able to see the penumbra and umbra coming, total eclipse, then see the shadow as it departs to the southeast. 

Anybody else thought about, or planning on this ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Nope it's just a shadow.

I get that. I'm not saying it's the apocalypse. But maybe that shadow blocks out certain frequencies or it changes others. I could see how hypothetically that could create unwanted interference or jamming in some bandwidths. Or, I could imagine the shadow actually blocks the sun's waves and radio signals become cleaner with less solar radiation. Anyone genuinely know the answer?

I get that. I'm not saying it's the apocalypse. But maybe that shadow blocks out certain frequencies or it changes others. I could see how hypothetically that could create unwanted interference or jamming in some bandwidths. Or, I could imagine the shadow actually blocks the sun's waves and radio signals become cleaner with less solar radiation. Anyone genuinely know the answer?

I do. Degree in astrophysics. Just a shadow. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 201er said:

17 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I do. Degree in astrophysics. Just a shadow. :)

I do, too.   Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering and thirty years developing wireless communication systems.   Just a shadow.   ;)

And the Bernoulli effect is real, too. ;)

...runs away...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gsengle said:

Anyone think airports in the path will clog up?

I'm wondering that, too.   Hoping to be able to fly to either eastern WY or western NE.   Alliance, NE, home of CarHenge (which is awesome), is having a bit of a shindig, so maybe someplace like that.

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

The whole of wildlife goes quiet, but otherwise as Steve says its just a shadow.  (Actually hes called Greg, just dont tell anybody). 

Maybe not...because the uv striking and creating the Earths ionosphere ,will be rapidly reduced allowing the energized electrons to recombine with their native gas elements..a quick "night effect" is produced.Radio bands above 10mhz that bounce off this E layer during the day ,now shoot thru and other bands are expected to be effected as this rapid day/night cycle is produced.Hams across the US and else where will be measuring beacons with decoding software and signal to noise logging.They are specially interested in the 50 MHz/6 meter band for evidence of weird propagation...

• Like 1

Maybe not...because the uv striking and creating the Earths ionosphere ,will be rapidly reduced allowing the energized electrons to recombine with their native gas elements..a quick "night effect" is produced.Radio bands above 10mhz that bounce off this E layer during the day ,now shoot thru and other bands are expected to be effected as this rapid day/night cycle is produced.Hams across the US and else where will be measuring beacons with decoding software and signal to noise logging.They are specially interested in the 50 MHz/6 meter band for evidence of weird propagation...

The shadow is tiny as a percentage of the earths or the ionosphere surface area....

Just now, gsengle said:

The shadow is tiny as a percentage of the earths or the ionosphere surface area....

70 mile wide totality...hundreds of mile wide partial....That enough to see effects! Google Aug 21 Ham QSO ...

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

The whole of wildlife goes quiet, but otherwise as Steve says its just a shadow.  (Actually hes called Greg, just dont tell anybody). 

You wouldn't want to be flying with a parrot during the eclipse, just in case it's gyro topples.

Clarence

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Even though your question was dismissed "as just a shadow"others have designed and experiment based on an earlier eclipse:

IMG_3099.PNG