Fuel Bladders soon to be approved !

1 hour ago, Cooperd0g said:

If you have the 54 gallon system, what is the total usable fuel?

If you have the 64 gallon system, what is the total usable fuel?

Each of my tanks are placarded:  "27.4 gallons".  As far as I know, it is all useable, but I have not yet verified it by running out of gas.  ;)

30 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

That is what my experience shows as well having ran both of my bladder type tanks dry (not at the same time) and filled them back up to 27.5 and 27.4 respectively.

The 54.8 gallons is supposed to be the useable fuel. The total fuel should be around 57 gallons (around 1 gallon of unusable per side).  And that works out about right. I drained my system for installation of the CiES senders and the JPI said I had around 5 gallons left per side and I have closer to 6 gallons per side in the gas cans.

I plan on 54 gallons the other 0.8 gallon does not fit into easy math.  Engineers always want easy math:D.

54 gallons 9GPH leaned out 6 hours of total engine running time, 145kts average GS, 870NM range no reserve, 725NM with 1 hour reserve.  Backed up by fuel flow meter and flights that have proven it out.

Typical flight 3.5 hours 507NM +/-  and 2.5 hour reserve left in the tanks.

JMHO:)

• Like 1

T,

Expect the unusable fuel is all the fuel that is below the fuel pick-up line.  This fuel line has to be under the surface or it starts inhaling air bubbles.  While the plane is leveled, as it were in flight...

In real life, nose up vs. nose down really effects this value.  The pick-up is towards the back of the tank.  Going nose down, fuel runs forwards and the engine stops running....  M20C experience...

Draining a tank using the fuel pick-up system can be achieved by draining fuel from the selector valve/pull ring....

There is probably a definition of usable fuel from Mooney and the FAA.  The tank design better allows for fuel to be available during the climb, not so much for the descent.

guessing a gallon or two in each (standard sealed) tank is unusable?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-