Narco NCS-812 Nav/Comm

I have flown behind so many MK12D's, that I just thought that was what was in my plane because of the way it looks.  Well, today I realized that it's NOT a 12D, it's a NCS-812.  Apparently it has DME.  I haven't tested it to see if it works.  I did tune it to a VOR and it does that correctly, but it has that extra knob for Distance, Ground Speed, and Time to Station.  Something new to try!

A question though, what does "Pull to ID" do?  The manual says when you pull it out, it activates the "IDENT CIRCUIT" but gives no further explanation.  

The D stands for digital...

There may be a way to display all the info that it has available.

Do you have a user manual for the device?

Is the NCS a newer model than the D?

If it's older and not D, don't expect tooooo much... :)

The D model was the newest Narco had.  They went belly up a few(?) years later....

Best regards,

-a-

It's the same as a MK12E (which, by letter, sounds like it might be newer than a D, but who knows!)  I don't know if it has all the gizmos (DME) or not, but the head does have glideslope.  I just started my instrument ground school, so I barely understand how all of this stuff is supposed to work.  Basic PPL knowledge only.

18 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

A question though, what does "Pull to ID" do?  The manual says when you pull it out, it activates the "IDENT CIRCUIT" but gives no further explanation.  

All radios have a noise filter (sort of like the intercom "squelch", although I don't think that's what it's called) so you don't have to listen to background static all the time.  This also cuts out faint radio signals but it might cut out the VOR broadcast (Morse code and recorded voice) if it is too faint.  If you pull to ID, the filter is turned off and you can be guaranteed to hear the VOR broadcast, but you will also hear plenty of background static.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

I have the NCS 812 but I also have the CDI that has the DME displayed in a window at the bottom of the dial so I don't use the DME display on the radio itself.

If you need a new display search there is a thread on MS with a source and part numbers.  The display is easy to change.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Wally said:

Hi guys. Just found this thread. Long shot I know but if anyone knows where there is a working surplus Narco NCS 812 unit please respond, mine died and want to keep my panel original.

Thanks -)

Welcome to MS.

@Alan Foxhas a good supply of used avionics acquired during salvage. 

• Like 1