Oceano, CA (L52) Camping

Skates97

Questions for anyone, but I'm guessing @mooneygirl and @MooneyMitch might have the most information. I did a little looking around but didn't find a thread on this. I was going to just send out a PM but thought I would post a thread as it might benefit someone else somewhere down the road.

My wife and I are looking to go fly somewhere and do a little camping July 27-29th. We were considering Kern Valley L05 or Columbia O22 but both of those will likely be in the upper 90's low 100's... However, the weather at Oceano looks much better (as long as I can plan arrival/departure around the marine layer.)

1. Do you have to make reservations, or can you make reservations?
  2. If it is 1st come then do they typically have spaces available? (I read it is only for people that fly in so I'm guessing that will help.)
  3. Any times during the day when the odds of not having a marine layer are better? I know what it is like and how to plan around it here in the LA area but not sure what it is like further up the coast.
  4. Good restaurants in walking distance of the field?
  5. Any other pointers/advice?

Hi there

1. & 2. No reservations, first come first served. There is NEVER a problem with space though you might not be near a fire pit.

3.  If it is hot in the Valley we typically have a marine layer.  Make sure to use the webcams: oceanoairport.com/webcams.html  Our AWOS is being installed which will be a big help.

4.  There is the Rock n Roll Diner, a Mexican Restaurant and Beach Burger all within walking distance, but why not borrow one of our bikes?  The unicom unlocks the lock. There are three bikes in the storage shed.  If you can donate a few bucks in the bucket that is great.

Pointers....  2325 on the runway length.  Fly your numbers.  There is an RV storage lot at the end of 29.  This means you are all set up like a rockstar thinking "This is gonna be SO sweet" then you get the heat off the roofs and it burbles you around. 

Call me if you need anything else. Though I will be in OSH...

• Like 2

Last time I flew there I took a few pics of the camping area and the airport from the air.. I agree with you, Columbia and Kern Valley would be too hot this time of year. This is one of my favorite places to fly to. The pier at Pismo Beach is about a 2 mile walk or a short uber ride.IMG_0090.JPG.221f7b4148d214e6c9ba2f240ab5a395.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

20170422_094720_resized.jpg

20170422_094710_resized.jpg

IMG_0210.JPG

I second the recommendation to use the bikes. I flew into Oceano last fall and borrowed a bike and went to Pismo Beach, where Splash Cafe has a famous clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl that is well worth the bike ride. Have fun!

• Like 1

My vote for the best camping at Oceano is the condos next door to the airport. It's been awhile, but they used to give good pilot discounts - but that might of been because of events organized by Jolie and Mitch. Don't worry about the marine layer. If you get there too early you can wait it out at near by SMX with 2 restaurants to pick from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kortopates said:

My vote for the best camping at Oceano is the condos next door to the airport. It's been awhile, but they used to give good pilot discounts - but that might of been because of events organized by Jolie and Mitch. Don't worry about the marine layer. If you get there too early you can wait it out at near by SMX with 2 restaurants to pick from.

SMX also has a Raddison holel with its own ramp and a pool.

You could probably sweet talk your way into the pool as a way to pass time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kortopates said:

Pacific Plaza Resort is the name of the condo facility Paul is speaking of.  Less than 1/4 mile from L52.   Very nice quality and yes, they used to offer pilot discount.

Come enjoy our Beach community paradise!  It's cool here today too! :)

So I had a little impromptu camping and movie night last night.  Pretty exhausting after a day of formation training, then a day of IFR training.  My son asks "Can we go camping at Oceano Airport?" Well okay!  Anyway, it was a lot of fun.  One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to turn off the irrigation system. It is located near the Stearman hangar. Just pop the door open and slide the lever to off.

We showed Harry Potter last night and slept at VERY FOGGY [and kind of cool] Oceano Airport.

The local newspaper was out to do a story on Oceano Airport last week for their "Living Here" annual edition. It was fun to show off our little airport.

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9163.JPG

IMG_9167.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kortopates said:

Hey Paul, thanks for the shout out.

You might not be aware of this but MooneyMitch is not associated in any way with me or the with Friends of Oceano Airport, or its events since 2014.  But the board and our volunteers continue to work hard to show off our airport to visitors. Next up is August 5th Fly-In Movie Night! All welcome.

Fly-In Movie Night 2017.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 0:35 PM, mooneygirl said:

So I had a little impromptu camping and movie night last night.  Pretty exhausting after a day of formation training, then a day of IFR training.  My son asks "Can we go camping at Oceano Airport?" Well okay!  Anyway, it was a lot of fun.  One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to turn off the irrigation system. It is located near the Stearman hangar. Just pop the door open and slide the lever to off.

We showed Harry Potter last night and slept at VERY FOGGY [and kind of cool] Oceano Airport.

The local newspaper was out to do a story on Oceano Airport last week for their "Living Here" annual edition. It was fun to show off our little airport.

I don't know how I missed that pointer on the irrigation from your post... Do they care if people turn off the irrigation? I could update my post with the instructions you gave above but don't want to put that out there if they don't want it to be common knowledge. I would think if they wanted to they could put up a sign about how to turn it off and ask that it be turned back on.

Not knowing that we could turn it off led us to spending our second night in Solvang which is something my wife has wanted to do for a long time.

We will go again, but we will be better prepared next time...

My short PIREP:

• Pros
    • It's right by the transient Parking
    • Only for use if you fly in (probably will always be able to find a place and it cuts down on the noisy neighbors you get at a lot of public campgrounds)
    • Walking distance from Old Juan's Cantina and the Rock & Roll Diner
    • Bikes for your use
    • Close to the beach and tons of rentals of ATV's if you want to ride the dunes
    • Restrooms right by the pilot lounge
    • Fire pits
  • Cons
    • $12/night transient parking and $15/night camping fee. (Neither one waived even if you buy fuel)
    • If you like hanging out at the campsite, there isn't much to look at besides old hangars...
    • Daily irrigation from 12-2pm... If you want to stay more than one night you have to break camp or risk the sprinklers soaking your tent. In fairness, if you were to watch the sprinklers for two hours you could probably find a place to pitch your tent where the sprinklers don't hit, but I didn't want to watch for that long.
    • Dogs on the other side of the fence bark all night long... (You can't see them through the bushes and trees, but you can hear them)
    • Oh, and bring bug spray, the mosquitos are huge!

Full write-up of the adventure, including Santa Ynez/Solvang, tons of pictures, and some video on my blog.

Oceano, CA (L52) Airplane Camping – Santa Ynez (KIZA) to Solvang, CA

46.thumb.JPG.c69f2dca3a1a237a7abeeae6e256fd1a.JPG58.thumb.jpg.f6fd3ae5cb5f6ddb07fd667d9bb18c9b.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 9:39 AM, mooneygirl said:

Hi there

1. & 2. No reservations, first come first served. There is NEVER a problem with space though you might not be near a fire pit.

3.  If it is hot in the Valley we typically have a marine layer.  Make sure to use the webcams: oceanoairport.com/webcams.html  Our AWOS is being installed which will be a big help.

4.  There is the Rock n Roll Diner, a Mexican Restaurant and Beach Burger all within walking distance, but why not borrow one of our bikes?  The unicom unlocks the lock. There are three bikes in the storage shed.  If you can donate a few bucks in the bucket that is great.

Pointers....  2325 on the runway length.  Fly your numbers.  There is an RV storage lot at the end of 29.  This means you are all set up like a rockstar thinking "This is gonna be SO sweet" then you get the heat off the roofs and it burbles you around. 

Call me if you need anything else. Though I will be in OSH...

The answers to the questions were precise and straight to the point. Thanks for sharing, mooneygirl!