GoPro mounting

1 hour ago, INA201 said:

Sticky mount. They have the curved and flat just use the correct one and you'll be fine. Just FYI in the preMooney era when I had an Archer I had one mounted on the wing and one on the leading edge of the stabilator.  FAA fellow spotted the stabilator mount and gave me a call. He wanted the stabilator mount removed(control surface) and a photo copy of an A&P endorsed logbook entry for the wing mount. I guess he could've made a bigger deal out of it and used it as an excuse for a full ramp check but fortunately I was not available at the airport.:D

It's a temporary mount, (as long as I've got a piece of dental floss in my pocket). I keep the FAA letter on my iPad. I was asked one time on the ramp by an FAA guy, I showed him the dental floss and asked if he wanted me to demonstrate it's removal as it's just temporary, he said "no" he'd take my word for it and we were done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

It's a temporary mount, (as long as I've got a piece of dental floss in my pocket). I keep the FAA letter on my iPad. I was asked one time on the ramp by an FAA guy, I showed him the dental floss and asked if he wanted me to demonstrate it's removal as it's just temporary, he said "no" he'd take my word for it and we were done.

I suspect even with a temporary mount, an ASI might still have an issue with a mount on a control surface. Even with so simple an operation as painting, the FAA tends to be more picky about the potential effects of things done to control surfaces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I suspect even with a temporary mount, an ASI might still have an issue with a mount on a control surface. Even with so simple an operation as painting, the FAA tends to be more picky about the potential effects of things done to control surfaces.

Agreed, I wouldn't recommend mounting on a control surface. But mounting on a flying surface is different.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:00 PM, revwatch said:

Soon you too can share videos like this

That's the best video I have ever seen...I kept expecting footage of that camera making its way down that pigs alimentary canal...than poof daylight again!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Andy95W said:

That... Was... Awesome!

Definite LOL moment!

EDIT- Maybe it's just me.  I showed  it to the wife and her only comment was, "where do you find this stuff?"

I LMAO too. I've found that women don't seem to "get" the Three Stooges or Monty Python humor either. 

• Like 1

Made this from some RAM mount parts... Don't remember what I spent but it was under $30.00 on Amazon. It easily screws into the tie-down/jackpoint and is fully adjustable and works very well. The mount can be installed and removed by hand in about ten seconds. I've used the sticky mount as well but find that it vibrates too much as compared to my custom setup. 

20170715_122808.thumb.jpg.cc9e42e8a8a76c284bf109831d730f68.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/15/2017 at 5:47 PM, jonhop said:

Made this from some RAM mount parts... Don't remember what I spent but it was under $30.00 on Amazon. It easily screws into the tie-down/jackpoint and is fully adjustable and works very well. The mount can be installed and removed by hand in about ten seconds. I've used the sticky mount as well but find that it vibrates too much as compared to my custom setup. 

@jonhop, do the threads for that RAM mount you pictured above just happen to be exactly the same threads as our tie-down screw holes?  If so I might try this approach to mount a gopro to the screw hole for the rear fuse tie-own.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 11:23 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Whatever mount you choose, don't safety wire or tether it to the plane. If the mount does come loose, you want it to fall away, not be swinging around beating the shit out of whatever it was attached to.

Sticky pad only? Don't tether because it will damage your paint? Never mind it will fall and reach a speed of 150mph, smashing someone's skull with kinetic energy bigger than a speeding bullet.

Really? Are we that much entitled and callous as pilots now these days that we rather see someone severely injured - if not killed - than scratching our planes for those 40 minutes videos that only you care?

My advice, if you are going to do it, do it properly. Use approved mounts. Get them signed off. Be sensible about the placement. 

And, remember, there will only be a handful of people watching the first 15 seconds of that video unless you crash or your cat is flying the plane...

@SkyTrekker, I drilled out the Ram ball mount and epoxied a jack screw into the mount that my A&P gave me. I suppose you could match the threads up at any hardware store and pickup a screw that will work. Here are the links for the ball mount and other components:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JH1BW2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3AK1K19MPF0E2&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SM5UIU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AGZSGIOR0DECV&psc=1

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 6:59 PM, jonhop said:

@SkyTrekker, I drilled out the Ram ball mount and epoxied a jack screw into the mount that my A&P gave me. I suppose you could match the threads up at any hardware store and pickup a screw that will work. Here are the links for the ball mount and other components:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JH1BW2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3AK1K19MPF0E2&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SM5UIU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AGZSGIOR0DECV&psc=1

Thanks @jonhop.  I'll be considering this as my mounting approach!

• 4 years later...
On 7/15/2017 at 6:47 PM, jonhop said:

what size screw is this?