Grim Reaper Strikes Again

201er

19 minutes ago, 201er said:

IMG_1588.JPG.cbe40a56fa0875f23ec0ea49e7bfa2cd.JPG

I guess I should have been clearer in my post.  300 hours of missing history should not in and of itself cause the plane to be scrapped.

If the airframe is sound, overhauling, repairing or replacing components as required could see the plane returned to the sky.  It may or may not be cheap but someone might like a 300 hour airplane?

Clarence

56 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Why not overhaul the engine and propeller, issue new logs and get it back in the air?

Clarence

Because you don't overhaul a 330 hour engine , you run it , and then if it starts making metal ,  you IRAN it.....

• Like 2

We can import and operate an aircraft with missing technical history provided that we can proof than no life limits or AD's are overdue, hence my statement concerning overhaul.  It would be a shame to see any airframe scrapped due to missing history which could be rectified.

In the US there is a different approach.

Clarence

13 minutes ago, peevee said:

it's just an airplane. I'd hack it to bits with a grin if it made me money.

I dunno, it'd not like they make these anymore.  I tend to think of myself as a steward of my aircraft, someone who keeps it flying nor the next generation.  I never like to see aircraft get dismantled.  They really don't make them like that anymore.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, steingar said:

I dunno, it'd not like they make these anymore.  I tend to think of myself as a steward of my aircraft, someone who keeps it flying nor the next generation.  I never like to see aircraft get dismantled.  They really don't make them like that anymore.

I need the bucks to keep my airplane flying. And others needs the parts to keep theirs going.

• Like 2

Am I looking at a lot ocorrosion on the back of the tach? If so how's the rest of the airframe?

Secondly, I wonder what the true story is about buying a new airplane, flying it for 300 hrs and letting it sit for decades?

We have a derelict C-150 and 170 that have been sitting on our airport for decades rotting away but the tie down fee is current every month.

Have a 231 that dropped into a cement ditch (not a straight piece on the airframe) sitting for @ 5 years now with current tie down (but no insurance on the airplane).  

• Like 1

Not corrosion , its just the way the pic is , The only corrosion so far has been the ADF antenna was trashed , and the Dzus fasteners are rusty ,  Every plane is a different story , one thing for sure is that sitting is not good for any machine , There are mitigating factors sometimes....One is price , one is where they sit , ..... So far I have only put 900 dollars into the project , ( new tailpipe , used glareshield , used battery , used pucks ,  70 gals fuel , new lenses for a few of the radios )  I don't go into these things with my eyes closed , You will hear the (experts) rip it apart ,  I love when the experts chime in and give their opinions ,  I have bought and sold many aircraft and over the years only one had a cam issue ,   The best part about this project is that it came off a property that had 40 cats on it , there is NO rodent or bird damage at all...took me a while to put the two together , also sat in an area that got direct sunlight  , Anyhow , The engine purrs like a kitten , (had to clean the points to get it started ) and the autopilot and F/D ground check , So far the only squawks are the lighting in the dash , and the Monroy traffic detector wont turn on ,  I'm pretty confident this will make a nice bird and I cant wait to fly it....Haven't flown a J in 20 years ..    

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Tach date stamp coincides with the year and model , so I am pretty confident it is the original tach and time , And what I thought were wood overlays , are lighted overlays....

Mooney tach.jpg

mooneypanel.jpg

Blue carpet, red console, wood overlay and hand painted yokes. This is definitely one of the ugliest J's I've seen in a while, yet it is fairly well equipped. Lot of salvageable parts there if anybody wants to take a chance, even the King autopilot trim switch is worth something these days in addition to the KX-155's and the HSI.

On 7/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Blue carpet, red console, wood overlay and hand painted yokes. This is definitely one of the ugliest J's I've seen in a while, yet it is fairly well equipped. Lot of salvageable parts there if anybody wants to take a chance, even the King autopilot trim switch is worth something these days in addition to the KX-155's and the HSI.

Whoever covered the console with ultra leather did a great job, while the color might not be your choice, it sure beats the old yellowed plastic. I think the wood overlay if it was all cleaned up would look great. Somebody put a lot of care and attention into this airplane at one time.

31 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Alan,

Regarding your instrument lighting issue, are you already aware of these little 5A micro jewels above the co-pilot's knee?  

Jim

image.jpg

If they are the ones on the bottoms of the yokes , I see them , but have not had a chance to get to them yet..

well started into the annual today , did the SB208 and inspected the cage , replaced the ADF antenna , Replaced the Strikefinder head , replaced the lenses on the KX155 and KR87 , pulled the interior , replaced the battery , and cleaned the box....spent two hours scrubbing off the years of mold , and trying not to scrub off the paint..... will put in another days work tomorrow , then order parts , and off to the other Mooney ( old C ) to throw on a cowl closure mod , and some new tiedowns....

mooneycage.jpg

mooneycage1.jpg

mooneycage2.jpg

mooneyleft.jpg

mooneynose.jpg

mooneyrt.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

WOW thanks , you have really added value to this thread....appreciate the insults ....... Thank you...

That airplane's damn near ready to fly! I don't know what you paid, but likely it's a great bargain. If there is little corrosion, then 300 hrs is 300 hrs. How many annuals do you suppose it's had? Six or seven? My airplane dreams of only being taken part that many times. Long term there are age related issues mostly with rubber and plastic, but still a great value IMO assuming it was acquired cheap.