Shocks

Releew

Getting ready to change the shock disks.  Is there one manufacturer of this part, or, is there more than one manufacturer, with one better in quality than the other?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

They are all made by Lord, PN J-11968-14. Same for every M-20 since the mid-late sixties. Expect to pay around $105/piece for each. There are 11 of them. 

Aircraft Spruce wants $113+ each, shipping included. Aviall is the only Distributor for these so everyone else buys from them. Sky Geek drop ships them from Aviall and their quantity pricing (4+) is $103.92 each, but you pay shipping.

7 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Are the disks made in batches? Does Spruce order a quantity and Lord produces only the order?

Spruce buys them from Aviall, the Distributor for Lord. There is a cure date on them. But I've never bought them where the cure date was older than six months prior.

• Like 1

Expect that a sales organization uses a cost+ mechanism to resell something that they add no value to...

A simple multiply by 2X usually covers the profit of the sales group.

They probably paid 2X what the manufacturer's All in costs are.

Lord's raw material cost is rubber which is probably less than $1 per pound...

It is probably best to focus on getting the best price you can using leverage wherever possible.

Trying to figure the margins of every middleman is probably impossible.

11 one pound chunks of rubber that costs $11 in raw materials, retails for 1.1amu, and wears out in a decade...

Now what are we going to do?

1) Convince somebody like Rob or our cowling guy to write an STC... for a new disc design/cost structure (hmmmm?)

2) continue to pay through the nose every now and then....

3) find another way to generate competition.

Competition rules!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

In response to Anthony's comment above about the disks wearing out in a decade, I understand that they should be changed every 4-5 years on a long body due to the extra weight.  I was told this by my MSC. According to Joey Cole,  the shock absorbency and capability will start to decrease after that such  that the airframe is taking more shock on taxi and landing causing tank leaks etc. That news is much to my chagrin since I put new shock disks on when I bought the plane in 2013.  I land the plane pretty well and and careful when I taxi, but I figure changing the disks every five or so years is relatively cheap insurance against having to seal the tanks and whatever other damage or deterioration can be caused to the airframe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The nose discs basically last forever. There's not enough weight or travel on the nose gear to wear them out. 

But the rubber ages and hardens through loss of volatile compounds, and it's ability to absorb shock dimishes, so they transmit shock instead. Follow the guidelines in the Maintenance Manual for your Mooney on when to replace them.

Does anyone know if the Beech discs are the same as Mooney? Similar cost, but the Beech requires eight per main gear. I read on the Beech forums that they heat them before install which allows them to compress better. Did my nose gear last annual and without the tool it is quite difficult to compress the donuts.http://www.aec-inc.com/display/shock-disc-8-1.html

33 minutes ago, Chupacabra said:

Does anyone know if the Beech discs are the same as Mooney? Similar cost, but the Beech requires eight per main gear. I read on the Beech forums that they heat them before install which allows them to compress better. Did my nose gear last annual and without the tool it is quite difficult to compress the donuts.http://www.aec-inc.com/display/shock-disc-8-1.html

My hat's off to you for doing the nose wheel discs without the tool!

The main gear is actually pretty easy to do without the tool.  You just need full fuel tanks (and maybe one person to sit on the wing) to compress the discs enough to get the collar off and on.

I don't know if the Beech discs are the same.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

Looks like they are not, they have a different Part # from Lords
J11968-14    Mooney
J11968-10    Beech

Warming the rubber improves its compliance... 'squishiness'

Warm rubber will be easier to squish.  

Cold rubber will be rock hard and difficult to squish...

It would be really interesting to experiment with new donut materials.  Something that doesn't permanently compress but behaves really softly.  Swap out one donut on each leg...

New pieces of rubber or types of rubber won't make crummy landings go away, will It?

abest regards,

-a-

• 6 years later...