Stratux Mount

I have a homemade Stratux receiver.  Raspberry Pi, battery pack, and antenna.  I have been putting it on the glareshield on the co-pilots side.  Summer in Texas, it gets to like 75C inside the computer.  Has anyone come up with a mount for a Stratux?  I can always do duct tape in the back window but wanted to do something a tad more elegant.

Mine is on the floor of the baggage area. Bought a long USB cable for power and ran it under the side panels. Remote mounted the antennas to the rear window. It's all very out of the way and comes on with the master switch. There is some additional cost for the remote antennas but I prefer the cleaner/hidden install. Will take pics when I get a chance. 

I can't claim credit for these, someone else gave me the links, but this is what I used.

Antenna Connector- http://www.ebay.com/itm/322249785947?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
ADS-B Antenna- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/monopole11-13561.php
Puck Power Line- http://www.ebay.com/itm/151569060902?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I already had a place in an inspection/access panel under the plane where an antenna used to be so it made for an easy place to have it mounted. It is tucked in behind the panel and like lamont's it comes on with the master switch.

We've had pretty good luck with a RAM X-mount (http://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip) attached to a suction cup and extension arm (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-103U).  The Stratux and its case with antennas sit in the mount, and we run a USB cable down to the battery, which sits in a pre-existing pocket on the sidewall that holds the POH.

As you probably already know, it's crucial to get the antennas out from behind the airframe.  An external connection like @Skates97 rigged up is best, but barring that, on the glareshield or against a side window seems adequate.  We initially just put ours on the back seat or the hat rack, but that turned out to be mostly useless.

I haven't tried it yet, but I got a couple suction cups with cup hooks on them and was just going to suspend the thing in the rear window by the antenna elbows in the cup hooks.   They fit pretty snug.

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Hangar elves found a spare circuit breaker and hard wired my Stratux into it. They also connected it to the old DME antenna. Comes on with the master and is tucked under the panel.

That's not a bad idea.   If the elves put a 1GHz splitter on the DME Tx antenna they could feed both ADS-B frequency inputs with it.

This assumes, of course, that the DME is no longer connected to that antenna.   ;)

On July 5, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Vance Harral said:

As you probably already know, it's crucial to get the antennas out from behind the airframe.  An external connection like @Skates97 rigged up is best, but barring that, on the glareshield or against a side window seems adequate.

FWIW, my Stratus 2 lives in the rear bottom corner of the left side passenger window, and works flawlessly, ADS-B + GPS. No external antenna.

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

Tell em you're running an ongoing experiment.

Don't know if you're kidding or not, but if it's a part 23 certificated aircraft (as all our Mooneys are), the only way you can do that is if you change the registration to experimental, and you won't like the restrictions (it's not like a homebuilt experimental where, once it's past the 50 hour "air trials" phase, it's basically like flying a certificated airframe but with better, cheaper, avionics options)...

20 hours ago, chrixxer said:

“this antenna is intended for use with experimental aircraft only.”

Hadn't noticed that, can't believe I haven't fallen out of the sky yet...

I guess I will have a chat with the elves and find out what they've been up to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Hadn't noticed that, can't believe I haven't fallen out of the sky yet...

I guess I will have a chat with the elves and find out what they've been up to.

Depending on your mechanic, it can still be installed as a minor alteration since this is not an ADS-B out system.  Distributors have to add the disclaimer so they are not liable for any certified installsand the manufacturer is not specifically producing them for certified aircraft.  It comes down to the discretion of the installer and FAA guidance on how you can sell and advertise products intended for aircraft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrixxer said:

Don't know if you're kidding or not, but if it's a part 23 certificated aircraft (as all our Mooneys are), the only way you can do that is if you change the registration to experimental, and you won't like the restrictions (it's not like a homebuilt experimental where, once it's past the 50 hour "air trials" phase, it's basically like flying a certificated airframe but with better, cheaper, avionics options)...

1 hour ago, takair said:

Depending on your mechanic, it can still be installed as a minor alteration since this is not an ADS-B out system.  Distributors have to add the disclaimer so they are not liable for any certified installsand the manufacturer is not specifically producing them for certified aircraft.  It comes down to the discretion of the installer and FAA guidance on how you can sell and advertise products intended for aircraft.

Takair is right, since the antenna is hooked up to a home-made ADS-B receiver, it doesn't matter if it is certified or not.  As long as it is installed appropriately and signed off in the logbooks, it doesn't matter.  (If it was connected to a certified GDL-88, totally different story.)

Also, our Mooneys aren't Part 23, they're CAR 3, which doesn't make any difference in this case, but would if we were talking about interior materials.  HUGE difference in that case.

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Takair is right, since the antenna is hooked up to a home-made ADS-B receiver, it doesn't matter if it is certified or not.  As long as it is installed appropriately and signed off in the logbooks, it doesn't matter.  (If it was connected to a certified GDL-88, totally different story.)

Also, our Mooneys aren't Part 23, they're CAR 3, which doesn't make any difference in this case, but would if we were talking about interior materials.  HUGE difference in that case.

Good, I thought I was going to have to call up HR and have them write-up the elves. If that happens I run the risk of them leaving and taking up residence in a different hangar and then I have to go through the whole hassle of putting out ads, getting resumes from elves that have only built toys in the far north and never worked on a plane (even though the ad always says "experience required"), drug tests (which for some reason the elves have a problem with), background checks, and then all the rest of the on-boarding process. It makes me tired just thinking about it. :)

(Actually wasn't concerned, I have a very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable AP/IA)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you don't need the AHRS, this announcement today may kill the Stratux: http://flywithscout.com

This one costs $200. A build it yourself Stratux is cheaper. Mine was only about $75, but it is single band. 

If you are a real CB, that is big money :) 

• Like 1

Wow... I too built my own stratux for bidirectional and yes it cost a little more than $75. Seems like mine is a little more finicky about reception  (my antenna choice?).  If this really does have the reception that mine seems to lack, I just wasted my time. Thanks for posting. I need to visit their booth at OSH this week.