ADSB weather on G1000 with GTX345

Anyone upgrade to the GTX345 and find a way to put ADSB weather on the G1000 instead of XM weather?

Mooney tells me it won't work unless you upgrade the G1000 panels to NXI.  

Im about to do the GTX345 upgrade.  

Certain software versions of the G1000 are able to supply a WAAS position source and weather to the GTX-345(r). However, Diamond, for example, does not. Thats how I got my GTX-345r new in a box. The Diamond owner had to buy a GTX-345r with its own WAAS GPS source.  Cut and install a new antenna, all that in his quarter-million dollar aircraft.. As you can tell, he was pissed.

this may be your minimum software rev.

his is correct, here are the minimum requirements as listed in teh install manual for the G950/1000 systems for displaying traffic and weather.

From BT:
 Traffic shown on specific G950/G1000 through RS-232 with the GDL 90 traffic protocol is software limited (the minimum GDU 1XXX software is v7.10 and the minimum GIA 63X software is v5.31).
 Weather shown on the G950/G1000 through RS-422 with the MX format protocol is software limited (the minimum GDU 1XXX software is v12.00 and the minimum GIA 63X software is v6.20).
 The GTX 3X5R with internal GPS is required if it interfaces to G950/G1000 systems with software versions below GIA 63W version 7.00 and GDU 1XXX v13.00. It is possible to use the GIA 63W as a GPS data source to the GTX for ADS-B compliance.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=133162

Edited by jetdriven

On 7/2/2017 at 11:07 PM, Lee A. said:

Anyone upgrade to the GTX345 and find a way to put ADSB weather on the G1000 instead of XM weather?

Mooney tells me it won't work unless you upgrade the G1000 panels to NXI.  

Im about to do the GTX345 upgrade.  

I did the 345 upgade on my non-waas 2008 G1000 Acclaim.    The traffic will show on the G1000, but the adsb weather will not (software issue).  You can connect to you 345 by Bluetooth and show the adsb weather on your iPad.   The XM weather isn't cheap, but I do find myself using both sources to get a better picture of what is going on.   

Brad

SO, let me get this straight. The guys who spent 80K upgrading their non-waas mooneys to WAAS and GFC700 now have to pay another 20-30-40-50K to upgrade to Nxi so they can use traffic and weather?

• Like 1

I also called Mooney after I got my 2005 Ovation with the G1000 and S-tec 55X upgraded to WAAS and installed the 345R and they told me I would not be able to receive FISB weather on the G1000 with the software that I have. Although there is a soft key that I can use to select xm weather or FISB weather it will not connect. According to Mooney it sounds like they are not going to issue a software fix.

Lee, who did you talk to at Mooney? Was it Frank Kehner? The comment about upgrading to NXi is non-sensical as all you need is GDU software version 15x+.  Now, it's true that Mooney doesn't currently support this version in their legacy G1000 fleet. Whether or not they plan to do the testing to support this upgrade is a question, but Frank told me when I was down there a few weeks ago that it's on the drawing boards.

But it's equally true that Mooney has done a much better job than other manufacturers on getting the latest Mooney build (0401-034) to a point where it can use the WAAS source from the GIA 63Ws for the ADS-B position.  I just installed the GTX-345R on top of my WAAS upgrade and it works beautifully...passed my ADS-B validation flight on the first try to get my $500 rebate from the FAA.  I had always planned on keeping my XM weather subscription anyway because I think it's better coverage than FIS-B, but I do have a Stratus w/FF that I use to compare the two.  So the lack of FIS-B on the G1000 is no big deal.

I can't get the Bluetooth from the 345 to sync up with my iPad/iPhone in the cockpit, but this was also a known problem due to too much interference from all the electronics in the tail section. But again, no great loss as I already have the Stratus, which gives me a totally independent backup system. Belts and suspenders, you know...

So to sum up, in the last six months I have done the WAAS upgrade to my G1000/S-TEC55x bird for $23K, plus the ADS-B upgrade for $5.8K (after rebate), and for less than $30K I am totally compliant and can fly LPV approaches hands-off to minimums.  At the end of the day, I'd say that Mooney has done a fine job stepping up to the plate and supporting these planes. 

• Like 3

Jeff, I don't know if I mentioned this before but I had the same problem connecting my 345R Bluetooth to my iPad and found a fix. In the baggage compartment I removed the carpet from the back wall to access a removable panel that is used when removing the O2 bottle (right side). I removed the aluminum panel and replaced it with a plastic one, the job took me a couple of hours. If you want just remove the aluminum panel go flying and make sure you get a Bluetooth connection before you make a plastic panel. PM me if you want me to walk you through this.

Buddy

• 2 months later...

My bird just had the GTX345 installed.  It's been in the shop an extra week because they are having difficulties getting the G1000 software to complete the update.  

I dont know which software version I have.  Prior owner never updated it.  It's a 2008 Acclaim S.

Seems I read a post several months ago describing this difficulty.  I can't remember the solution.  I want to say they had to put the old transponder back in, then update software, then installe the gtx345, but not sure.  

Anyone else gone through this?

Edited by Lee A.

9 hours ago, Lee A. said:

My bird just had the GTX345 installed.  It's been in the shop an extra week because they are having difficulties getting the G1000 software to complete the update.  

I dont know which software version I have.  Prior owner never updated it.  It's a 2008 Acclaim S.

Seems I read a post several months ago describing this difficulty.  I can't remember the solution.  I want to say they had to put the old transponder back in, then update software, then installe the gtx345, but not sure.  

Anyone else gone through this?

Lee, something tells me you may be a guy I was supposed to ferry for pick up your plane with Mark?  If not, ignore.  Give me a call.  My bird was the first guinea pig for this upgrade.  Brian Kendrick figured out the process.  You have to boot with old GIA’s to a point the swap out with the new GIA’s to complete.

Russ

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Txbyker said:

Lee, something tells me you may be a guy I was supposed to ferry for pick up your plane with Mark?  If not, ignore.  Give me a call.  My bird was the first guinea pig for this upgrade.  Brian Kendrick figured out the process.  You have to boot with old GIA’s to a point the swap out with the new GIA’s to complete.

Russ

Yes.  Please call me.  I sent you a PM. 

Please stop the misinformation.  The G1000 is upgradeable to ADS-b via GTX-345R that allows Fib-b on the G1000 excluding at this time Nexrad.  This is done by going to the map page, scroll to weather press MENU toggle Display FIS-B Weather.  To make all this happen the proper Loader card should have been used when installing the GTX345, the latest version is -34, the Mooney Service Bulletin M20-305B date October 18, 2016 has details.  The SYS Software Version on the AUX page should show 0401.34, the PFD1 should show 14.02, GIA should show 7.6.

The install for my Ovation 3 took place on 1/12/16 with no issues including good bluetooth coverage.  It is my understanding from Garmin that GDU SW v15.00 will address the Nexrad issue.

Blaine Hoffman

Ocala, FL

Edited by Ovation3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ovation3 said:

Please stop the misinformation.  The G1000 is upgradeable to ADS-b via GTX-345R that allows Fib-b on the G1000 excluding at this time Nexrad.  This is done by going to the map page, scroll to weather press MENU toggle Display FIS-B Weather.  To make all this happen the proper Loader card should have been used when installing the GTX345, the latest version is -34, the Mooney Service Bulletin M20-305B date October 18, 2016 has details.  The SYS Software Version on the AUX page should show 0401.34, the PFD1 should show 14.02, GIA should show 7.6.

The install for my Ovation 3 took place on 1/12/16 with no issues including good bluetooth coverage.  It is my understanding from Garmin that GDU SW v15.00 will address the Nexrad issue.

Blaine Hoffman

Ocala, FL

IMG_4316 2.JPG

IMG_4319 3.JPG

IMG_4320 3.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here's a little tip I learned the hard way when upgrading a G1000 panel with the GTX-345R.  At least in my bird, there weren't enough wires going from the panel back to the transponder to do all its functions.  That is to say, there WERE enough wires, but only because my installer "borrowed" the one that was connected to the yoke IDENT button so he could use that wire to provide the "alert suppression" feature.  (Still not exactly clear what that is, but I gather it overrides some GTX alerts when the G-1000 will be providing the same alert.)

So as soon as I flew away, I discovered that the yoke IDENT wasn't working. However, since this had been a problem in the recent past because of some bad wiring in the yoke, I just assumed that same problem had resurfaced. I finally got it back to the avionics shop to have them fix it, and that's when they discovered the wiring issue. They took care of it, though, and routed a new wire back in so the yoke IDENT button would work at no charge.  BTW, this is Precision Avionics in Griffin GA, and I can't say enough good things about Scottie and his team. If you're in the Atlanta area, I would strongly recommend them as a shop.

Oh, also, I had them reprogram the system so I can change the Flight ID (for doing Angel Flights) which would have ordinarily been a simple fix, but because of a procedure change that Garmin implemented -- without telling anyone -- it took him an hour longer than usual.  I can't remember the specifics, but if you're having any work done on your GTX-345R make sure your shop has consulted with Garmin on all the latest features before they start doing anything.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Here's a little tip I learned the hard way when upgrading a G1000 panel with the GTX-345R.  At least in my bird, there weren't enough wires going from the panel back to the transponder to do all its functions.  That is to say, there WERE enough wires, but only because my installer "borrowed" the one that was connected to the yoke IDENT button so he could use that wire to provide the "alert suppression" feature.  (Still not exactly clear what that is, but I gather it overrides some GTX alerts when the G-1000 will be providing the same alert.)

So as soon as I flew away, I discovered that the yoke IDENT wasn't working. However, since this had been a problem in the recent past because of some bad wiring in the yoke, I just assumed that same problem had resurfaced. I finally got it back to the avionics shop to have them fix it, and that's when they discovered the wiring issue. They took care of it, though, and routed a new wire back in so the yoke IDENT button would work at no charge.  BTW, this is Precision Avionics in Griffin GA, and I can't say enough good things about Scottie and his team. If you're in the Atlanta area, I would strongly recommend them as a shop.

My shop told me it would have been $1K less had it not been for running that one wire.  They pulled the carpet, seat, etc.  

Russ

13 hours ago, Lee A. said:

Jeff_S

What is different about the Flight ID for Angel Flights?

What is a Flight ID?

thanks,

Lee

Lee, John Galik, Outright Avionics one of the largest Garmin dealers.  He has an aux hangar right by yours but he is usually pretty busy.  They do good work.

Russ

12 hours ago, Lee A. said:

Jeff_S

What is different about the Flight ID for Angel Flights?

What is a Flight ID?

thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee. The Flight ID is normally just your tail number, and that's what's programmed into the ADS-B box (or an older -S capable transponder). However, I read in several places that when you have ADS-B, they really want your flight call sign to match what the box is emitting, and when we do Angel Flights we use a modified call sign with CMFxxx, where CMF replaces the first three digits of your tail number. So for me, that is CMF34S, said "Compassion Flight 34 Sierra" on the radio.  So now if I'm doing an Angel Flight I can dial that into the system and the ADS-B will output that Flight ID.

If you have a panel-mount GTX-345, you can do it right from the buttons. But if you have a remote mount they have to do a config change to your panel user interface (at least for the G1000...not sure about any of the GTN units).

12 hours ago, Txbyker said:

My shop told me it would have been $1K less had it not been for running that one wire.  They pulled the carpet, seat, etc.  

Russ

They did a lot of work to run one wire! Scottie's team just loosened the left side panels and were able to run it through there in about 15 minutes.  Perhaps not as fully-professional, but since I was sitting there waiting for it they wanted to get it done quickly. Another A/P had to pull that seat earlier this year when tracking the fuel-sender signal and that turned a 15 minute fix into a four hour job at $95/hour...so I am really leery when anybody starts talking about that!

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

Hi Lee. The Flight ID is normally just your tail number, and that's what's programmed into the ADS-B box (or an older -S capable transponder). However, I read in several places that when you have ADS-B, they really want your flight call sign to match what the box is emitting, and when we do Angel Flights we use a modified call sign with CMFxxx, where CMF replaces the first three digits of your tail number. So for me, that is CMF34S, said "Compassion Flight 34 Sierra" on the radio.  So now if I'm doing an Angel Flight I can dial that into the system and the ADS-B will output that Flight ID.

If you have a panel-mount GTX-345, you can do it right from the buttons. But if you have a remote mount they have to do a config change to your panel user interface (at least for the G1000...not sure about any of the GTN units).

Thanks.  I have a G1000 so very good to know.