Speedbrake - Electrical Connection

carqwik

Ok, my left speedbrake failed on test during taxi out a few weeks ago...it would kind of pop up a bit in rapid cycling...maybe less than an inch.  Removed the speedbrake and shipped it off to Precise Flight Inc for repair.  Basically they did a rebuild ($1 AMU) and sent it back.  Now the fun part...couldn't get the "cannon plug" to fit back onto the female end in the airplane.  Tried for an hour...called my wiz mechanic buddy...he tried and no luck.  We did get the pins to align with the holes on the female side and even tested that the speedbrake worked...but it's far from seated properly.  WTF...??

Called Precise Flight...said it's the same part they've always used.  (It's a replacement motor and harness.)  Doesn't fit at all with the female connector...took pics and sent it to them and now waiting for the main tech to get back on Wednesday.

Anyone ever encountered an oddity like this?

Any indications of damage to the part? Scars, out of round, broken pins, plugged hole or anything like that?

Sounds like PF got a bad plug on the new one...

they probably bought a bunch of them at the same time.

Their response should be an interesting supply chain answer.  

Best regards,

-a-

I think it's terrible that you should be treated this way by Precise Flight.  You should rip out the whole system and send it to me. I'll send you a fully functional vacuum operated set of speed brakes along with all the vacuum lines and an electrically operated vacuum pump you can mount in the tail, in return. 

:) then I can finally be through with my vacuum system.

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I think it's terrible that you should be treated this way by Precise Flight.  You should rip out the whole system and send it to me. I'll send you a fully functional vacuum operated set of speed brakes along with all the vacuum lines and an electrically operated vacuum pump you can mount in the tail, in return. 

:) then I can finally be through with my vacuum system.

Well, I'm not swapping out my fully mechanical (no stinking electricity, no stinking vacuum, no stinking hydraulic) PF Speed Brakes no matter how slick the Texan salesman talks.

2013-02-13_10-34-19_556.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Well, I'm not swapping out my fully mechanical (no stinking electricity, no stinking vacuum, no stinking hydraulic) PF Speed Brakes no matter how slick the Texan salesman talks.

2013-02-13_10-34-19_556.jpg

#Envious #manualgear #manualspeedbrakes

• Like 3

Thanks Bob.  It's possible that the "screw on" part of the female plug needs to be pushed down in order to seat the connection.  That might be the problem...although I do recall trying to get it further down and it wouldn't go....??

Update...I think I got it now.  The problem seems to be that the "nut tightening" piece was interfering with my ability to get the connection tight.  So  I "jiggled" the nut part a bit while pressing in the male end into the female end.  Third attempt and I got it to seat properly (I think).  Tightened the "nut piece" about half a turn and done...

Tested the speedbrakes and now both work!

Edited by carqwik
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...