Anyone been into Calgary (yyc)

4 hours ago, FBCK said:

Just talked with the people at Canpass ( 1-888-226-7277 ), and asked them about non canpass holders and landing at CYBW, you are good to go between the hours of 9:00am and 9pm, you just have to make the standard call to them, they will come and meet you at the the airport.  I also talked to someone in the tower (atc), and he tells me hes only seen an agent out there maybe twice in past year.  Canpass holders can land at CYBW 24 hours a day, that seems to be the only difference.

Thanks! I'll see if they approve our application in time, but it sounds like we'll be just fine since we'll be there about noon on a weekday

4 hours ago, FBCK said:

For your charts just download Fltplan.com app, its free and has all the Canadian Charts.

I'm using fltplan go

What's the deal with the Canadian class c? It's like class a light? I'll just go ifr lol

2 hours ago, peevee said:

I'm using fltplan go

What's the deal with the Canadian class c? It's like class a light? I'll just go ifr lol

Here's an explaination of the Canadian airspace.

Clarence

image.png

I just returned from a trip to Banff. I can answer questions from a US perspective since they are quite fresh on my mind. I flew into Cranbrook, BC (CYXC) from Lewiston, ID. I called Canpass on the ground after landing at Cranbrook and it was all handled on the phone. Very straightforward. Nobody met me, perhaps because of the holidays. I rented a car at Cranbrook and drove to Banff, Jasper going through Fernie, Sparwood towards Calgary (22). Stayed a night at Kananaskis (campsites were mostly full) and tourists everywhere. Then west to Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise (very crowded) and then on to Jasper (went up to the Columbia Icefields as FBCK mentioned). Athabasca glacier is an easy trek off the highway. Much less crowded in Jasper NP but very few places to stay in that area. Returned via the other side through Radium Hot Springs and other small towns on 93. Camped a couple of days and stayed in hotels for a couple of days. Nice trip, weather was hot, but the scenery and the overall beauty of the region made up for it. The return to the US was a pain and stressful, partly my fault, but also very poor information/documentation and not streamlined at all in my experience. They are neither friendly nor helpful. 

On 7/9/2017 at 8:04 PM, wishboneash said:

I just returned from a trip to Banff. I can answer questions from a US perspective since they are quite fresh on my mind. I flew into Cranbrook, BC (CYXC) from Lewiston, ID. I called Canpass on the ground after landing at Cranbrook and it was all handled on the phone. Very straightforward. Nobody met me, perhaps because of the holidays. I rented a car at Cranbrook and drove to Banff, Jasper going through Fernie, Sparwood towards Calgary (22). Stayed a night at Kananaskis (campsites were mostly full) and tourists everywhere. Then west to Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise (very crowded) and then on to Jasper (went up to the Columbia Icefields as FBCK mentioned). Athabasca glacier is an easy trek off the highway. Much less crowded in Jasper NP but very few places to stay in that area. Returned via the other side through Radium Hot Springs and other small towns on 93. Camped a couple of days and stayed in hotels for a couple of days. Nice trip, weather was hot, but the scenery and the overall beauty of the region made up for it. The return to the US was a pain and stressful, partly my fault, but also very poor information/documentation and not streamlined at all in my experience. They are neither friendly nor helpful. 

This the route I use ,except after Cranbrook  ,I take off again and head up the valley another 70 nm to Golden...quick,easy,cheaper gas,rental car,right at the highway junction to Banff/lake Louise 

14 hours ago, thinwing said:

This the route I use ,except after Cranbrook  ,I take off again and head up the valley another 70 nm to Golden...quick,easy,cheaper gas,rental car,right at the highway junction to Banff/lake Louise 

Next time! I wanted to do some driving in the pretty country in that area. Thanks.