Moved the Plane from Reno to Richmond this weekend

Let me say, I'm wore out after spending two days moving the plane from Reno, NV to Richmond, VA this weekend.  ATC was fantastic the entire way and we didn't have to dodge all that much weather. There was a pretty big storm over Omaha that thankfully cleared out to the east before we arrived - we did get to see all the fireworks going off across the city which was pretty cool.

Was not a bad ride overall once we got out of the NV/UT/WY areas, which had the typical annoying speed bumps along the route due to the heat - even at 11.5K and 13K feet MSL. Pretty smooth from about Grand Island, NE all the way to Richmond at 9,000 feet.

Recap of the move:  Friday: 1,116 nm's / Saturday:  913 nm's  Total: 2,029 nautical miles.... :huh:

KRNO -> KRKS (Sweetwater, WY): 3.1 hours, 510 nm (VFR w/flight following/radar advisories)
Used Sweetwater Aviation - Nice facility, but nothing to write home about. Prompt service and they had us on our way in under 30 minutes. Fuel was $4.64 a gallon.

KRKS -> KOMA (Omaha, NE): 3.7 hours, 606 nm (IFR)
Parked at TACAir for the night. Rental car waiting for us and we had them park the plane in their hangar ($115 a night but I felt better knowing she was indoors and not outside with the thunderstorms in the area). Plane was fueled and waiting for us on the ramp at 0830 when we arrived. Only extra charge besides fuel and hangar was the airports $5 infrastructure fee. Normal handling fee was waived since I took on almost 50 gallons of fuel. Fuel price was $5.31 a gallon - $.07 cheaper than Signature. TACAir has a really nice facility.

KOMA -> KBMG (Bloomington, IN): 2.5 hours, 456 nm (IFR)
Used Cook Aviation for the quick stop. Nice facility, complimentary sodas, water, and cookies. Very nice for a small airport that is only really busy during NCAA sporting events being held over at Indiana University. Fuel was $4.60 a gallon.

KBMG -> KFCI (Richmond Executive): 2.5 hours, 457 nm (IFR)
Dominion Aviation will be my new FBO heading into the future.  Already have my annual scheduled with them starting next week. Good time to do it since we'll be packing out the house in Reno and driving across the country later this month. Gas was the highest at $5.65 a gallon.  :(

Nothing like a really long x-country to see this great nation, but I'm done with the super long trips for now....:rolleyes:

Some pictures from the trip are below.

Cheers,
Brian

IMG_9044.JPG

IMG_9056.JPG

IMG_9065.JPG

IMG_9075.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9130.JPG

IMG_9133.JPG

IMG_9204.JPG

IMG_9206.JPG

Edited by flight2000
  • Like 4

Cool, thanks Seth.  I "officially" arrive on the 24th of July in Richmond.  Plane is going into annual before I get here, so that'll be done for another year.

Had a headwind on most of the route.  :P

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. I hate the humidity here.... :o:huh:

On 7/2/2017 at 7:26 PM, Mooney_Mike said:

What was your IFR route and what altitudes did you fly over the mountains? I am looking into flying from NC out to KRNO this fall.

Did you need O2?

Going east or west, I followed V6.  Stayed at 11.5 for the RNO-RKS segment with it being severe clear.  The RKS-OMA IFR leg was KRKS-Arute-V6-Yutan-KOMA.  Used O2 for the first hour at 13K then dropped down to 11K when the MEA allowed us to.  That was the only time we went on O2 the entire trip.  Going west, you could run the entire route lower, but the bumps tend to get worse down low the later in the day it gets.  

If it's clear out, you can follow I-80 through NV and stay as low as 8.5K.  I did follow V6 from FMG to LCU and then went direct KRKS.   Kept me out of the SLC Bravo airspace to the North and the controllers had no issue with me being at 11.5K.  

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000
Can't spell in the morning...or anytime for that matter...