B-Kool

I originally bought a B-Kool <http://www.b-kool.net> not long after they were first commercially available. It always worked well from the beginning. A few years ago I had it upgraded and Bob told me I must have had one of the first 10 units he made, he could tell by the components as he continually improves his product. Then I found out another upgrade was available, among other things the new upgrade would double the airflow. So I had it done too. I doubt many of the original parts are in my B-Kool anymore.

I've owned two airplanes with factory air conditioning, a 1981 Piper Seneca and a 1974 Cessna P337. The Seneca air conditioning was pretty much worthless. It put out a little cool air but with temperatures that hit 47º (Celsius), that didn't put a dent in the heat. The P337 unit was better, almost reasonable but it ran off the rear engine and made the engine run hot so when you needed it most, you couldn't use it.

I've been out of town a lot and haven't flown with the upgraded B-Kool unit until today. It was already 37ºC before noon. Today will make the 15th straight day the temperature has been over 105ºF in Tucson. Each time Bob does an upgrade it changes the performance dramatically. Wow ! The current version of the B-Kool is pretty much indistinguishable from modern automobile air conditioning in both volume of air and temperature. The remote to turn it off once at altitude and on again for descent is great too. This is a very well thought out, well researched and well engineered product.

Can you make one yourself ? Of course. But I seriously doubt it will be anywhere near this quality or be this "polished" a product. And besides, it isn't worth my time to cobble together a system when someone else has already done all the leg work and offers a superior product for a very reasonable price.

1) If you don't have one of these units, buy one. He has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it.

2) I receive no compensation, financial or otherwise from Bob or B-Kool. I paid full price for the original unit and pay the full upgrade price each time I have mine upgraded.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Get one. They're great airplanes.

:angry:

My partner doesn't want one. Two engines and pressurization is just too much potential repair cost to go it alone. There's a real nice one in or for 100k. I'd love the twin time, boots, it's perfect.

20 minutes ago, peevee said:

:angry: My partner doesn't want one. Two engines and pressurization is just too much potential repair cost to go it alone. There's a real nice one in or for 100k. I'd love the twin time, boots, it's perfect.

I know a number of people with pressurized airplanes. All say they put minimal $$$ into the pressurization system. Clean a couple seals every year, if it starts off good it will stay good. There are two turbocharged engines, though. No getting around that. If you fly them at 65% power or less, they run long and happy lives. I've run 5 TSIO-360 variant engines and none have required much maintenance. If you're gonna fly it at 75% power or more, then prepare to write checks . . . lots of checks.

65% power, LOP is 11.5 GPH per engine. Full flow isn't bad for a twin. Insurance is reasonable and it will fit in your current hangar, most likely.