Best possible audio?

As an older pilot working towards my IFR rating and doing it as cheaply as possible I've been wondering; how do I get the best possible reception of ATC clearances and other information over the radio? I've got older King radios and David Clark headsets that I bought from ebay. I don't want to spent the maximum dollar possible but I'm wondering if there are some more modern equipment purchases that have yielded big increases in the quality of the voices you hear over the radio in the air. Mine is currently OK but I doubt that it's great. 

One recent topic discussed hearing loss and the discussion morphed into what protects your hearing while making it possible to still hear the radios. One post that got a lot of positive comments was using foam earplugs in addition to an ANR headset. Seems to block more "noise" and allows voices to be better heard. The Clarity and Halo types of headsets also got favorable comments.

Of course the best solution would be all new radios and audio panel with the above, but then you would be in the max dollar range.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, pinerunner said:

As an older pilot working towards my IFR rating and doing it as cheaply as possible I've been wondering; how do I get the best possible reception of ATC clearances and other information over the radio? I've got older King radios and David Clark headsets that I bought from ebay. I don't want to spent the maximum dollar possible but I'm wondering if there are some more modern equipment purchases that have yielded big increases in the quality of the voices you hear over the radio in the air. Mine is currently OK but I doubt that it's great. 

Agree with John on the easy ability to spend max $$ on things like this.  At a minimum, I'd recommend moving from the David Clarks to a Bose solution.  If you're planning an audio panel upgrade, the PMA450A from PS Engineering is an amazing unit.  Just upgraded mine from the PMA450, and with the Bose headsets, is an amazing combination of clarity - both in reception and the way I'm heard by ATC.  If you don't have Bose jacks, you can use the Bose-to-2 prong adapter cable and put in 2 AA batteries to drive the noise cancelling piece of the headsets, given the Bose jacks power the noise canceling piece which eliminates the need for batteries.

Steve

I have the older Bose X headsets.  You can probably find a used set for pretty cheap.  The ear cuffs can be replaced for few bucks.  I can't say going from the KMA24 to the PMA450 made a lot of difference with clarity, but I love all the features.  Make sure your antennas and radios are in good shape.  

• Like 1

I am a fan of Lightspeed.  I have had a 20XL for over 12 years, and it still works quite well.  I finally decided to upgrade, so we got a Tango for the right seat and a Zulu3 for the left seat.  The Zulu has better ANR and is a little lighter.  The main reason for the Tango was to eliminate the cords tangling your feet as you exit the plane.  I used to fly with a Bose, and I think the new Zulu3 is somewhat better, (and substantially less expensive).

I had a young guy (student Pilot) in my plane the other day and he was wearing a set of David Clark.  First time for him in my plane so I let him take control and mid flight we traded headsets as well, I have a set of Bose A20s.  It was remarkable how much better the clarity was on the Bose set.  I had a set of Bose X before these one, they where very good as well.  If you need to hear ATC, they are good investments.  When I was doing my original flight training 13 years ago I could understand anything ATC was say, the X help with that and when the As came it I moved to them, that was a marginal improvement, on a budget, Id look for a set of the Xs.

Get a used pair of ANR headsets first...Lightspeed or Bose, even 10 year old models, will be far better than passive David Clark models, or their ANR. You'll be amazed, and if not sure try to borrow a pair to demo from someone local first.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Recently upgraded from a KMA-24 with a PS Engineering 3000 intercom to a GMA-350.  Audio is better but not night and day better.  Features are great.  I would agree that best improvement is with a better headset.

A pretty good improvement came for me from upgrading from David Clark to Bose. An even better improvement came from upgrading from Bose to Halo. 

The Halo is not quieter than the Bose. Bose provides a quieter environment and better musical listening for passengers. However, the Halo has superior voice clarity. You understand what is being said more clearly. It sounds like the person is speaking to you live rather than over the intercom. For a pilot, it's an excellent headset.

Going over static sources and grounds may help if there are trouble sources. A bad alternator or alternator filter can be a typical culprit.

• Like 2

I had a similar problem with audio and fixed by going to a local clinic and having all the wax removed from my ears. Cost me $40.  Wax accumulation reduces the sensitivity to high pitch tones thus intelligibility.  Q tips will not clean the inner ear canal were the wax was.

José

• Like 2

I'll probably have a pair of Bose X for sale shortly.  They were factory refurbished about 8 months ago, however, I did break one of the yokes that holds the ear cup on.  I fixed it with epoxy and a finish nail (I'm a CB).  It looks fine (the epoxy is on the inside) and works fine.  I could probably be talked out of them for $400.  I upgraded my wife's set to A20's because I got a ridiculously good deal and she really wanted the bluetooth ability to listen to music.

If you're comfortable with an in-the-ear solution (Halo's, etc.), I don't think it gets better than that. If you're a real CB and handy with a little electrical work, you can build your own headset for cheap (<$100). I built the one I'm using now, and haven't had my Lightspeeds out of the case since then.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:17 AM, DonMuncy said:

Or install a set of ANR modules from Headsets, Inc, in the David Clarks. Cheapest solution, and works well. Not Boses, but also not $900.

Thanks for pointing this out.   I'd not known of these guys previously.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/anr_kits.html

An attractive thing is the accessory to make a 9V power plug in the panel and run the ANR headset off aircraft power.   Just like the Cirrus guys with their fancy plug, only CB style!

I have a Faro2 headset with ANR, which I like, but being able to custom make something else for a very reasonable cost is very appealing.   I think I'm gonna cruise ebay and friend's hangars for some refugee used headset discards and see what I can come up with. ;)

Halo's and the PMA450a audio panel. The hot set up for sound and radio clarity.

I started with the ANR module for my David Clarks. Then used a loaner Bose X for awhile. When I decided to spend the money and get the best headset available, I got the Lightspeed Zulu2's. I thought they were the best until I tried the Halo's. My wife loved my Zulu2's until one day she tried my Halo's. Now she's got a set and the Zulu2's are our loaner set. 

The PMA 450a audio panel cleaned up all the electronic noise in the cockpit. I don't know how it's filtering it, but all the annoying feedback, misc whines, hissing, etc is gone. The PMA 450a cleaned it all up.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to try the Halo's, but plugs just don't agree with my ears.  I've been a shooter for most of my life and I can only stand to wear plugs for short periods before my ear canals really start to get sore. I've been wearing "ANR" shooting muffs for decades.  I'm afraid to spend the money on Halo's and find the same situation with sore ear canals.

4 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I've always wanted to try the Halo's, but plugs just don't agree with my ears.  I've been a shooter for most of my life and I can only stand to wear plugs for short periods before my ear canals really start to get sore. I've been wearing "ANR" shooting muffs for decades.  I'm afraid to spend the money on Halo's and find the same situation with sore ear canals.

Halo's are so difficult to get as the guy who makes them only does them in batches and is usually sold out. The only reason to say this is that if you did get a set and didn't like them, it will take all of 5 minutes to sell them for virtually what you paid for them. I've never seen an ad for someone selling a set of Halo's last more than about 15 minutes on any aviation forum.

• Like 2

Since you are trying to do this as best possible for best bang for dollar....   I would say an upgraded audio panel Say a PS Engineering 6000 -8000  and an ANR kit for your current DC headset.   could get the panel for $500 and the kit for $200.  Get a harness made for $300.

If you want halos email Phil to get on the waiting list, mine will be here any day I've been using Bose for 20+ years like them a lot, hopefully the Halos will be as great as mentioned, if not two pairs will be available soon.

Another nice thing about the Halos is taking them off and still having the buds in your ears. On long cross countries when I'm not talking continually on the radio, but only checking in on hand-off from one controller to the next, I take the mic and band off of my head and just let it sit around my neck. The buds are still in the ears and I can hear just fine. And when I do have to respond to a controller, just hold the mic up to speak into it.  I can't imagine going back to either Lightspeeds or Bose.

• Thanks 1

My hearing is pretty poor, if I were not a CB I'd be shopping for hearing aides. The only environment I understand speech perfectly is when I'm flying thanks to the DC ONE-X headset I bought at KOSH last year. (Nancy, whose hearing is worse than mine, loves the hand me down DC PRO-X.)

IMG_20160929_105247741_HDR.jpg

• Like 1