The Future of Manufacturing is here.

XXX

Formula 1 cars crank out around 700 hp from 1.6L engines.

Of course that comes with the inevitable trade off between longevity and performance.

That's why the cars we drive are tuned so poorly.  They are designed to last, and not excite you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Formula 1 cars crank out around 700 hp from 1.6L engines.

Of course that comes with the inevitable trade off between longevity and performance.

That's why the cars we drive are tuned so poorly.  They are designed to last, and not excite you.

Not the frontrunners, they are closer to 1000 HP out of the 1.6L

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrari’s 2017 car, code named 668, is an all out attempt by the prancing horse to reign in Mercedes. Along with the expected aerodynamic changes, the team has poured massive resources into redesigning its power unit and it may develop a full 1,000 horsepower when it hits the grid in Melbourne this March

14 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Not the frontrunners, they are closer to 1000 HP out of the 1.6L

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrari’s 2017 car, code named 668, is an all out attempt by the prancing horse to reign in Mercedes. Along with the expected aerodynamic changes, the team has poured massive resources into redesigning its power unit and it may develop a full 1,000 horsepower when it hits the grid in Melbourne this March

That's even more amazing.

I though F1 was trying to limit HP these days.  Apparently not.

The 1000hp out of the 1.6l engine is a bit misleading, 600+ hp is indeed made within the 1.6l turbo-charged engine an additional 160+hp is made with an Energy Recovery System (ERS).  A fancy electric motor so to speak.

Thread drift!

• Like 1

Just now, Marcopolo said:

The 1000hp out of the 1.6l engine is a bit misleading, 600+ hp is indeed made within the 1.6l turbo-charged engine an additional 160+hp is made with an Energy Recovery System (ERS).  A fancy electric moter so to speak.

Thread drift!

Yes- and that 1000hp is not considered continuous available but rather limited to what - 10 seconds?

The problem with sports cars in general is that the driver eyes stands so close to the ground that you cannot see the traffic ahead of the license plates of the car in front, not to mention inhaling the exhaust of the cars in front. While on my old Explorer SUV I can see very well traffic two cars beyond in front. On I-95 at 5pm I have seen Lamborghinis and other sports cars getting stuck in the slow lane because they cannot see the congested traffic ahead. Driving is more of strategy than speed. My cell phone road GPS indicates where the traffic jams are and suggest a faster route. But if your goal is for speed get in a Mooney and skip all the traffic below.

José  

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 9:15 AM, steingar said:

700 hp out of a 2.4l engine is unreal.  The two liter engine in my car doesn't even put out 200!

My AMG has the most powerful <stock> 4 cyl engine on the planet. 2L, 475 Hp, 0-60 in 4.2 secs. Hand assembled by a guy in Affalterbach, Germany.

I can't imagine what that car would do with 700 Hp. 

2 hours ago, daver328 said:

And unlike those low-sitting Lamborghinis ... your old Explorer probably has a relief tube?

No but I have the relieve bags. What would you do if you are stuck in a traffic jam in the middle lane for hours and you need to go. I had this problem when living in Schaumburg, IL on my way to O'Hare and go stuck in traffic for 6 hours due to snow and ice. Saw a guy getting ticketed by a cop on a motorcycle for relieving next to his car. This is not uncommon and you have to be prepared. And remember don't pee and drive.

José

Well regardless of whether you want a sports car or not (I like the Blade it is really cool IMHO) I like the manufacturing technology is geared to low production just like airplanes.  I would love to utilize the processes to build a new generation of Mooney aircraft and other small planes that are quick and efficient and lower cost. 

Like I said before the small plane manufactures Mooney, Beech, Cessna, Cirrus Piper etc. need to get together and setup a factory like this to do most of the manufacturing for them landing gear parts, spars, air frame sub assemblies etc. that way they all can benefit from economies of scale, computer optimization and factory automation and then final Assembly at their respective facilities.  They can manufacture more planes at lower costs and generate more new plane sales.

I know the number of pilots is decreasing but you can't tell me that if the costs of a new plane were half of what they are today you are not going to sell more planes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

How does one spell 'super' in German?

does the AMG have a supercharger with that?

Best regards,

-a-

Turbolader is turbo charger in German.

Photo below is from the Porsche Museum in Germany,  Down the hall from this they have a version of the "flugmotor", AKA aircraft engine.  I assume it's the same one used in the Mooney PFM!!

P-car.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

But if your goal is for speed get in a Mooney and skip all the traffic below.

Speed is only part of the equation. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but when I rotate and shoot up off the runway in my E I always, every time, get a SEG. I don't know why, must be genetic or something. I get the same thing when I drive my AMG, especially when I've been away and driving a rental.

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Nein.  Kompressor.

Nein.  Kompressor is a work made up by Mercedes-Benz to designate supercharger.  It's a word that originated in their marketing department, not real German.  I've been told by Bavarians that the real word is Gebläse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

What on earth in the name of her majesty is SEG?

I can only guess that it's "sh!t eating grin." I feel the same way if it's been a while since my last flight, and when cruising down  the road behind my thirsty V12.  

(we don't have an emoji for that here . . .  )

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

3d printing is indeed amazing. I do a small amount of manufacturing using 3D printing via shapeways.com. My latest project was a spinner that must be made from stainless steel pictured below both in 3D and also in stainless. The cost to do this is less than $50/piece. Compare that to $250/piece for a CNC prototype using a 5 axis machine which is the only way to make something this complicated.

I also added some pictures of another part that I'm printing out of plastic. This part can not be made any other way due to some of the complex structure. 3D printing is definitely the future.

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

• Like 2