Mooney Ovation Hold-Open Assembly

lmtinley

Hi everyone, this may seem like a kind of dumb question, but...

the hold-open assembly on the door of my M20R bent the other week (careless c.f.i.i) and broke off the door so I've been flying around with it taped up so it doesn't swing around. I have an upcoming instrument checkride and this DPE is a hardass, I had him for my private a while ago. If anything is illegal/breaks some obscure rule, we won't be going flying. I understand the door hold-open assembly most likely isn't required to be airworthy, but where would I find a list that's specific to the Ovation?

Also, if anyone has any tips on repairing/replacing the assembly, I'm all ears.

Why not just order a new one and install it?  Your problem could be over two days from now and you wouldn't have to worry about the DPE.

The list you're talking about would be an approved Minimum Equipment List (MEL) and gets approved by the FAA for your specific airplane.  It's easier to just replace the broken piece.  Call some of the bigger shops (LASAR, Don Maxwell, Dugosh) and order a new one. They will probably know which one you need just based on your year and model- and they may even have not changed in 50 years.

Good luck on your checkride.

• Like 1

I suspect you won't find that on any MEL, and it's not on the FAA regulations as required elements for flight. I can see it now...TOMATO FLAMES FLAPS(D)!

But I suppose your DPE could claim it's a safety of egress issue if he's really that much of a hard-ass.  You could always just call him and ask.  Even if you can get the part, it will still require some time to install...so how much time before your ride?