Need a mechanic

mccdeuce

I would not fly it unless you get it in writing from an IA or higher that it is air worthy.

The Cirrus insurance company and the rest of the local world already know about this.....don't get violated for a flying lawnmower.....

play it right and maybe you can own a cirrus on the cheap....LOL

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

I'm not sure I can argue that the FBO needs to pay for that as much as I would like them. :P

Well . .  if Mooney isn't making the parts you need any more . . .

You might be able to sell them on the idea that you will have damage history which will decrease your value. If the LASAR upgrade is worded correctly in your airframe logbook it may not have to show damage history.

Just looking at the pics, it looks like the cirrus rolled up on the wingtip catching the edge of the sheet metal, pulling it up and rolling it back. it is a long enough distance and a large enough gap that I would say not to fly it until at least a temp repair is made. with out any better pics or being able to look at it in person I would assume some of the rivets pulled thru at a minimum were stretched and loosened. a temp repair would be to roll the metal as flat as you can get it and replace the row of rivets with over sized rivets.

Brian 

6 minutes ago, revwatch said:

Why is the FBO not responsible if they towed the Cirrus into your Mooney?

I think he was talking about the FBO not being required to give him an upgrade to wingtips.

Mark, I believe I'd share your pics with DMax and maybe with Lynn. I'm confident the plane can be ferried so that the work can be done closer to home. DMax has folks who can ferry much more badly damaged wings. Ask @Amelia

I suspect you can do the flying yourself if you'd like to once the flight is blessed. 

From personal experience I would not recommend you leave the plane 600 nm from home for the many weeks it might take to get sheet metal work done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revwatch said:

Why is the FBO not responsible if they towed the Cirrus into your Mooney?

They are responsible for repair absolutely. I meant it as an upgrade. 

A couple of rivets are pulled. They are working at getting me an IA to inspect tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, orionflt said:

Just looking at the pics, it looks like the cirrus rolled up on the wingtip catching the edge of the sheet metal, pulling it up and rolling it back. it is a long enough distance and a large enough gap that I would say not to fly it until at least a temp repair is made. with out any better pics or being able to look at it in person I would assume some of the rivets pulled thru at a minimum were stretched and loosened. a temp repair would be to roll the metal as flat as you can get it and replace the row of rivets with over sized rivets.

Brian 

That is exactly what happened.  A local A&P suggested roll flat and speed tape it. Didn't excite me. 

@Bob_Belville  have already sent Lynn the pictures. He agrees that the skin will probably need to be replaced but obviously will need to see in person. I have no intention of leaving the aircraft here. Just going through options of getting home - via original stop in Nashville, via AGL Aviation or going straight home to Norfolk. 

And if it's a ferry permit what I need to get my fiancé home in another way. 

If the rivets are not pulled or loose. I agree a wood rolling pin and some light hammering (by an A&P with signature) would be enough to get it home. 

The real fix is to re-skin the outboard section and to replace the end rib. 

I'd split the cost of new wing tips and new led lighting  plus install labor with the FBO. I would not run it thru insurance at this point unless the FBO is uncooperative. Most FBO's have a slush fund for equipment repair. They should appreciate the fact you want to make it clean W/o insurance. 

I recently shipped a T182T wing for a new outboard skin due to a ramp encounter. Still working out details, but the FBO has been good to work with.

Now that you're advertised here, it needs maintenance action. 

-Matt

You're about 35 minutes from me in Lancair time.  If need be and weather ok, I'd be glad to get you and/or your partner home.  Trying to get hours on the Lancair so I can send it off to paint.  

If needed, call me on my cell at nine zero six, four five eight, 6989

Tom

• Like 3