Kool Scoop Vents

DMJones

21 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I didn't think humidity ever dipped below 90%. Maybe that's just in Georgia. Lol. 

No, it's here in Alabama, too, and my previous home in the Carolinas. Low humidity in the summer like that is a Western phenomenon that we must travel to experience firsthand, otherwise we must suspend disbelief . . . . I bet he wasn't glazed over in full body sweat before getting his hangar door open! 

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2017 at 12:48 PM, DMJones said:

I got mine installed today. I had a "duh" moment when I looked at them and realized they're a mirror image of each other or they wouldn't scoop air. They do have a warning sticker!  They work great. Glad I got them. Photos below, but I neglected to take a photo with them deployed. I'll try and get one in a few days. 

IMG_1255.JPG

Did that window latch come with your plane, do you know where I can get one?  My second one this year just departed

38 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Did that window latch come with your plane, do you know where I can get one?  My second one this year just departed

It did and I don't.  Sorry about that.  I do know that I have "new windows", installed by the last owner, so I'll bet they can be found somewhere on-line.  I installed a new light cover for the landing lights last year, and found a lot of possible choices with only a little bit of Google searching.  Best of luck finding one.

EDIT: I just re-read the thread, and found this reference to a window supplier: Great Lakes Plastics .  I think that's where I got my lens cover.  I bet they'd be a good place to start.

Love the cool scoop.  When flying I flip forward and it “catches” keeping it out of my left shoulder.  Otherwise it swings and “bugs me”.  The thing is ALWAYS used in summer on the ground.  We taxi with the entry door held open too.  The right knee vent install was also a must for extra ventilation on ground and in climb.  Once up high I always close the roof vent as It costs a couple knots and it is LOUD when open.  In the climb it’s open to give some more air.

I have one I got wit the airplane.  I like it, but the adhesive wore off long ago.  Might try and jam it in like some of the folks here, might just buy a new one.  Odin knows they're cheap enough.

One thing for certain, I'll have to do something.  We get more hot days each and every year.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, steingar said:

I have one I got wit the airplane.  I like it, but the adhesive wore off long ago.  Might try and jam it in like some of the folks here, might just buy a new one.  Odin knows they're cheap enough.

One thing for certain, I'll have to do something.  We get more hot days each and every year.  

Nothing some 3M Command Strip adhesive couldn't fix? 

I noticed on mine that the side window is curved enough that really only the bottom and top of the adhesive are in contact with the window, so you could just put some strips there...

Get the B-Kool - It literally changed my life when flying in hot weather.

I fly a Cirrus for a charter company - they have AC in the aicraft.  B-Kool does the same for taxi and low altitudes.   Very much worth it.  It is a life changer.

-Seth

3 hours ago, Seth said:

Get the B-Kool - It literally changed my life when flying in hot weather.

I fly a Cirrus for a charter company - they have AC in the aicraft.  B-Kool does the same for taxi and low altitudes.   Very much worth it.  It is a life changer.

-Seth

^This.

I loved the kool-scoop in the Arrow I used to fly, and it wasn't intrusive at all when airborne as it stowed out of my way and out of any of my sight lines.    I sorted out that in my Mooney that wouldn't be the case, that I'd either be trying to look through it or be bumping into it during flight.  

With the B-Kool it's just not needed.   For me it's a better solution, but dealing with heat here is a little different than in most parts of the country, so YMMV.

8 hours ago, Skmoore63 said:

One warning about the Kool-Scoop. I park my M20C outside when I fly to Memphis for work - I use Kennon sunshades for the 3 to 4 days I park there each time. The Kool-Scoop warped and cracked when I tried to deploy it. Ended up peeling it off and throwing it away after about a month of use.

My plane is hangared at my home airport and the scoop is a great product. But the reflective shades destroyed it pretty quickly when parked outside in the summer sun. I do use a B-Kool unit and it works great. 

I have a cool scoop and I made my own shades.  I cut a slot in the shade for the cool scoop to fit through, it works great.

20170823_184132.jpg

20170823_184128.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 7:31 PM, Jim Peace said:

I have dual kool scoops for the dual vent windows I opted for when I replaced the windows a few years ago. The hinges are the same as what I got from GLAP. 

Adhesive performance is mostly about surface prep.

IMG_20151201_151757134_HDR.jpg

On 7/7/2017 at 5:47 PM, Piloto said:

I got my Kool Scoop today. Decide to install it flush to the window without the hinge. I trim the edges for a perfect fit and cut out the hinge section. Put it in the window opening and pinch the edge with the window knob. It holds in place very well. Taxi around and got a hurricane draft. I store the scoop in the side panel pouch normally used for charts. 

José

20170707_155132.jpg

That's pretty neat.  I had one of these on my Cherokee and they work remarkably well.  Neat idea on the trimming- in my Cherokee it would bump my arm which was kind of annoying. 

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have dual kool scoops for the dual vent windows I opted for when I replaced the windows a few years ago. The hinges are the same as what I got from GLAP. 

Adhesive performance is mostly about surface prep.

IMG_20151201_151757134_HDR.jpg

Looks great.  Bob- are those the gray SC windows?

25 minutes ago, Skmoore63 said:

Great idea! I wish I’d thought if that!

+1

My home made shades for over the top of the scoop just fine. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do if they didn’t fit, but that cut is a perfect solution.