Kool Scoop Vents

DMJones

That 150mph wind being ducted into the cabin could get pretty interesting!

There is plenty of vacuum created that pulls the window closed under normal conditions. Putting the funnel out in flight may be hard to bring back in.

As far as adding a door in the middle of an existing window.... I think that would require the ability to rout the proper shape in location.  Routing aged acrylic is a challenge, and doing it in location is a bigger challenge. Swapping out that window is pretty easy.

Thanks for posting the pictures...  it was a challenge to think through this in 3D and mirror image.  The locking tab is the biggest difference to the whole LR structure... :)

Best regards,

-a-

The question about cutting it in place is the simple fact that you really have nothing to lose by trying.  If it gets messed up, you were going to replace it anyway so, I wondered if anyone had actually tried it?  If so, what were the results?

My windows are all only 2 years old so I doubt I would replace a basically new window unless I had to.  Just wondering if it would be worth it to try cutting In place?  Inquiring minds want to know......

I have one that came installed when I bought my plane.  It is a life saver on the ground in the summer.   I did have one freak incident with it a couple of weeks ago.   I was on the ground and just received take off clearance from Albany (KALB).  Right before I brought in th scoop and shut the window to take the runway, a wasp got caught in the slipstream and was shot right through the scoop and directed right onto the front of the neck where it stung me.   I had to cancel my takeoff clearance and as for a minute to smash the little bastard with something.   I am glad no one else was around watching me flail around the cabin with the checklist.   

• Like 4

I bought a Cool Scoop used but have not installed it as I do not want to put something permanently on the window.  Given the cheap investment, I was going to try to cut it up and make it so it will not fall outside of the window, insure the window was protected, and simply put it in place manually while on the ground to increase air flow into the cabin.  Has anyone tried something like this?

5 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I bought a Cool Scoop used but have not installed it as I do not want to put something permanently on the window.  Given the cheap investment, I was going to try to cut it up and make it so it will not fall outside of the window, insure the window was protected, and simply put it in place manually while on the ground to increase air flow into the cabin.  Has anyone tried something like this?

You're overthinking this. If it's used clean off whatever is there, put some double stick foam tape vertically on the full length of white part of the Kool Scoop, stick it on the window and forget about it. It's worked great on every Mooney I've had.

• Like 1

For the passenger side I just partially open the door. Passengers in the rear get a blast of air, very effective.

Question: Will the Kool Scoop hold in place in the opening when the white bracket is not attached to the glass? 

José

Edited by Piloto

I don't know if they will stay in place without the bracket, but now that I have mine installed I don't really even notice them. Here's a photo of them in place.   They do a great job of bringing air into the cabin on the ground. I'm sorry I didn't install them sooner.   

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

I got my Kool Scoop today. Decide to install it flush to the window without the hinge. I trim the edges for a perfect fit and cut out the hinge section. Put it in the window opening and pinch the edge with the window knob. It holds in place very well. Taxi around and got a hurricane draft. I store the scoop in the side panel pouch normally used for charts. 

José

20170707_155132.jpg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I got my Kool Scoop today. Decide to install it flush to the window without the hinge. I trim the edges for a perfect fit and cut out the hinge section. Put it in the window opening and pinch the edge with the window knob. It holds in place very well. Taxi around and got a hurricane draft. I store the scoop in the side panel pouch normally used for charts.

I like that a lot!

José
20170707_155132.thumb.jpg.89632595bc83114e3aead12d08f96e48.jpg

I like that, but my latch is original 77' plastic and I wouldn't want to put any extra stress on it. I wish I would have put the 3M dual lock tape like@CaptRJM did. But so far mine hasn't bothered me leaving it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

José
20170707_155132.thumb.jpg.89632595bc83114e3aead12d08f96e48.jpg

Excellent idea José, thank you for sharing! I'm glad I read your post before I permanently mounted mine and rendered useless the sunscreen for that window.

After reading the comments in this post, I ordered and received mine from AS. As José suggested, I've nipped off the hinge area and other bits that weren't necessary to hold it in place. It works perfectly. A suggestion I'd like to add - secure a thin strip of foam on the scoop, along the mating surfaces, to prevent the possibility of the scoop scratching your plexi window.

John
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2017 at 10:06 AM, BradB said:

I have one that came installed when I bought my plane.  It is a life saver on the ground in the summer.   I did have one freak incident with it a couple of weeks ago.   I was on the ground and just received take off clearance from Albany (KALB).  Right before I brought in th scoop and shut the window to take the runway, a wasp got caught in the slipstream and was shot right through the scoop and directed right onto the front of the neck where it stung me.   I had to cancel my takeoff clearance and as for a minute to smash the little bastard with something.   I am glad no one else was around watching me flail around the cabin with the checklist.   

Love my cool scoop and my wife loves the install of a co-pilot ram-air knee vent she can aim/control.  I remember as a kid going to golf course with my mom and a friend (of hers) in front seat.  Big bumble bee flew in and landed right on my crotch.  I must have sworn (out of reflex) and started flailing at it.  Thankfully only sting was the dagger of a look from my mom....

Glad yours was unwitnessed :)

• Like 3

On 7/11/2017 at 5:17 PM, SkepticalJohn said:

Excellent idea José, thank you for sharing! I'm glad I read your post before I permanently mounted mine and rendered useless the sunscreen for that window.

After reading the comments in this post, I ordered and received mine from AS. As José suggested, I've nipped off the hinge area and other bits that weren't necessary to hold it in place. It works perfectly. A suggestion I'd like to add - secure a thin strip of foam on the scoop, along the mating surfaces, to prevent the possibility of the scoop scratching your plexi window.

John

You guys are overthinking this . . lol.

I have always put the Kool Scoop on just as it was designed (double stick tape mounted on the window so you can use the built-in hinge) and (1) I don't have to look for a place to store it, (2) I still use the sunscreen with no problem on that window and (3) in 24 years of using a Kool Scoop on a Mooneys, it has ever scratched the plexiglas window.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...