Kool Scoop Vents

DMJones

46 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Anyone put a log entry? I haven't installed mine but it will be soon and wasn't sure if I would need to or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, since it is easily removable and there are no structural fasteners.  

• Like 1

R & L..?

I thought the Right one was identical to the Left one just installed upside-down...

Seems like a commercial challenge if you have to sell two different vent scoop devices.  The error would happen a lot...

cutting a window for the passenger side seems to make a lot of sense.  It's not like the window is there to pay tolls through.

In NJ, a couple of fingers out the window is usually enough to bring air in.  If your co pilot is experienced, they can handle the door.

In the long body the ventilation system is pretty good.  Everyone gets an eyeball vent...

If you haven't added an eyeball vent for the copilot, that would be a good device before adding a hole and a wind scoop. Probably will want both though....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

R & L..?

I thought the Right one was identical to the Left one just installed upside-down...

Seems like a commercial challenge if you have to sell two different vent scoop devices.  The error would happen a lot...

cutting a window for the passenger side seems to make a lot of sense.  It's not like the window is there to pay tolls through.

In NJ, a couple of fingers out the window is usually enough to bring air in.  If your co pilot is experienced, they can handle the door.

In the long body the ventilation system is pretty good.  Everyone gets an eyeball vent...

If you haven't added an eyeball vent for the copilot, that would be a good device before adding a hole and a wind scoop. Probably will want both though....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

There is a right one and a left one.  From Spruce, there's a"pull-down" menu when you order.  I just got mine and haven't really had a chance to look at them, but I'll take photos when i get a chance to install them.  I suspect the difference is some minor, subtle change, such as the way the intake is angled...

My aircraft came with windows on both sides, but as I'm discovering, that's probably a modification (thanks, previous owner!)  I do have the eyeball vents, but the volume of the air through the window is MUCH greater on the ground.  In Georgia, these things are going to make a huge difference.  In Idaho, not so much, I think.

I'm working today, flying the Mooney down to get the son tomorrow.  He and I will probably get them installed when we get back.

Photos to follow....

• Like 1

Great Lakes Plastics offered a door glass that already has the storm window cut in.  You can even order oversized storm windows, same size as used on Beechcraft.

Just got mine installed today. Oversized on pilot side, and regular sized on the copilot.

Can't wait to get it out after the adhesive cures and try them out!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1498868292.259043.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/28/2017 at 6:03 AM, DMJones said:

Anyone have them, and love them or hate them?  Thoughts?

My E came with one, 'cause it's Super. It's a must-have in Tejas. Catches the prop flow so it works right after start-up.

17 hours ago, DMJones said:

There is a right one and a left one.  From Spruce, there's a"pull-down" menu when you order.  I just got mine and haven't really had a chance to look at them, but I'll take photos when i get a chance to install them.  I suspect the difference is some minor, subtle change, such as the way the intake is angled...

There is a tab on the top side of the scoop to make it easier to handle.  If you installed the wrong one, that tab would interfere with the open window panel.

I have used one for years and love it.  However,  I attach it with 3M Dual Lock so it can be removed when I install Sun Shields.

Got my scoop two months ago but never installed it till yesterday. Wish I had read this comment before and used the 3M DL, great idea. But after only two trips I wish I had installed it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed one Monday and flew from NE Texas to Galveston in the heat yesterday.  It worked great, except the noise bothered my copilot while he was on the radio.  At 7,000 feet, the air temp was below 70 so I folded it in until crossing the bay.  I am very pleased with it.  Do be prepared for the noise though.

32 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The things are for ground use only. I Learned the hard way when I tried to open it when I was flying a warrior one day And it blew the entire side window out of the airplane

Wow. I'm thinking the scoop needs a serious warning decal.

33 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The things are for ground use only. I Learned the hard way when I tried to open it when I was flying a warrior one day And it blew the entire side window out of the airplane

oh crap.  I bet that caught your attention.  

39 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Well I wasn't hot after that but I flew on another hour and began sweating again when pulling up in front of the owner's hangar...

If a little hole is good, surely a bigger one is better, right?

I got mine installed today. I had a "duh" moment when I looked at them and realized they're a mirror image of each other or they wouldn't scoop air. They do have a warning sticker!  They work great. Glad I got them. Photos below, but I neglected to take a photo with them deployed. I'll try and get one in a few days. 

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG