Kool Scoop Vents

DMJones

Following all the discussion about the ice-chest coolers, I've decided I don't really need one, as I spend 90% of my time in cooler air (above 8000').  But it is really hot on the ground, and I've noticed just sticking my hand outside to re-direct the air in while taxiing is awesome.  So, I've found these Kool Scoop Vents, which look like they're exactly what I need, but I'm reluctant to glue something to the window, and I'm also hesitant to lose even a couple of inches of shoulder room.

Anyone have them, and love them or hate them?  Thoughts?

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/koolscoop.php

• Like 1

Works pretty good, but better on a hot day with one of those evaporative cooling towels around your neck.  It's a significant blast of air, so If the air blows into your mic, it can also mess up your audio panel squelch, so you might have to tilt your head away from it

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

I put one in as well, it is wonderful.

Now as soon as I need to replace the door window I will get one that has the small window in it as well and double the amount of air, and my wife will not think she is going to fall out the door.

• Like 2

Those are very common here in the southwest where it gets eleventy-billion degrees on the ramp.  Around here the question is why the airplanes that don't have one don't have one.

Even if it's not that hot out they're nice for cabin ventilation on the ground.   I'm always worried I'll forget to pop it back in before takeoff roll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Those are very common here in the southwest where it gets eleventy-billion degrees on the ramp.  Around here the question is why the airplanes that don't have one don't have one.

Even if it's not that hot out they're nice for cabin ventilation on the ground.   I'm always worried I'll forget to pop it back in before takeoff roll.

I have forgotten and it's not a big deal.

• Like 3

Just now, DMJones said:

Why not the passenger?  Do you only have one on your side?

It would be a real trick to put one on the copilot's side on a K model. At least on mine, the window on that side is double paned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

It would be a real trick to put one on the copilot's side on a K model. At least on mine, the window on that side is double paned.

I have an '84 K (231), but it has new windows.  Came that way to me.  Both have the drop down vent window, so I'm thinking I can put one on both sides.  I just bought both the left and right-side versions, so I sure hope so!  I've never noticed a difference from left to right previously, so perhaps mine are different...

5 minutes ago, DMJones said:

I have an '84 K (231), but it has new windows.  Came that way to me.  Both have the drop down vent window, so I'm thinking I can put one on both sides.  I just bought both the left and right-side versions, so I sure hope so!  I've never noticed a difference from left to right previously, so perhaps mine are different...

I don't know what the thinking was at Mooney, but when I replaced the glass on my 231, I discovered that on the copilot side, there was an inner clear plastic pane mounted about 1/4 inch or so inside the outer glass. I was changing to a smoke color on the outer, and just put the clear piece back in where it was. I guess either someone changed yours, or someone changed mine, or the factory did some differently. Mine is an '82 model.