Oshkosh Airventure MooneySpace Get together on Monday night

yvesg

Yvesg, I'm flying in Sunday but not in my Mooney. Helping my brother in law achieve his dream of flying his Cherokee 6 to Oshkosh from Central Florida. I'll be in Key West that week but the plan is for me to fly the Mooney from Key West to Lakeland, put my plane in his hanger and fly the Cherokee to Oshkosh. It's going to be a long day of flying. I hope to make the Monday gathering. Put me down for two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Sabremech said:

HI Ned, My goal is to complete Matt's F , Marauders F, and Bob's E this year. I am working on the parts for the pre 66. I just purchased another upper cowling to use for my mold on the older birds. I'm going to have to replace the upper cowling on the old birds. 

Thanks,

David

Fantastic. Thread swipe: you're bringing us the "internal" parts - baffles, etc. that we'll install while you have the upper and lower cowl? 

4 minutes ago, bradp said:

Anyone planning to be there in the later half of the week? My wife has a big exam and I may need to let her have some quiet time to study.  ;-)

You are all heart :) 

Current list:

• yvesg + 1
  • Ned Gravel + 1
  • Bob_Belville + 1
  • DVA
  • Amillet
  • KSMooniac + 1
  • kpaul + 1
  • JohnB + 1
  • BDPetersen
  • SabreMech
  • Marcopolo + 1
  • MooneyMitch
  • Oscar Avalle
  • DanM20C
  • StinkBug + 1
  • orionflt + 1
  • Wildhorsesracing + 1
  • Hector + 1
  • Yooper Rocketman
  •  

30 people now. Going well!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yvesg said:

Current list:

• yvesg + 1
  • Ned Gravel + 1
  • Bob_Belville + 1
  • DVA
  • Amillet
  • KSMooniac + 1
  • kpaul + 1
  • JohnB + 1
  • BDPetersen
  • SabreMech
  • Marcopolo + 1
  • MooneyMitch
  • Oscar Avalle
  • DanM20C
  • StinkBug + 1
  • orionflt + 1
  • Wildhorsesracing + 1
  • Hector + 1
  • Yooper Rocketman
  •  

30 people now. Going well!

I'm planning on coming (flying).  First time.  Looking at the EAA Airventure site now.  I'll be bringing one other person.

I'd like to camp, next to the plane, ideally near/with the other Mooneys, however, is that possible without going with the Caravan? I assume the Caravan is doing the N40 Group Camping (North Corral)

Being VFR still, I'll be heading out as early (Sat/Sun) as possible, depending on the weather, so will hopefully be there at the beginning. (I have a lot of flexibility)

Do I use the VAC sign or other for camping? Is GAC the North 40?  Would that be my best bet if not going with the Caravan?

Apologies for the newbie questions.  I know I've seen partial mention of these things, but just trying to piece together the complete logistics. 

Thanks for any guidance/answers.

Lance

48 minutes ago, Lance Keve said:

I'm planning on coming (flying).  First time.  Looking at the EAA Airventure site now.  I'll be bringing one other person.

I'd like to camp, next to the plane, ideally near/with the other Mooneys, however, is that possible without going with the Caravan? I assume the Caravan is doing the N40 Group Camping (North Corral)

Being VFR still, I'll be heading out as early (Sat/Sun) as possible, depending on the weather, so will hopefully be there at the beginning. (I have a lot of flexibility)

Do I use the VAC sign or other for camping? Is GAC the North 40?  Would that be my best bet if not going with the Caravan?

Apologies for the newbie questions.  I know I've seen partial mention of these things, but just trying to piece together the complete logistics. 

Thanks for any guidance/answers.

Lance

Lance:

The North 40 has improved over the years with more amenities, but until 2015, it was the VAC that had more restaurants, showers and power points for recharge.  It is also closer to the airshow "chair line" along 18-36. You have a 66 (one year newer than ours) and it meets the Vintage definition so you can do either.

These days the North 40 is better, but the camping will stretch all the way past the two hotels along the northern edge of 09-27.  If we are lucky, the Caravan will end up at the 09 end of 09-27 (almost at the very end of the field).  

If you do end up in the North 40 (GAC), you are one 8 minute bus ride to the Mooney Caravan Tent, and you will find lots of Mooney friends there (even some you don't really need??;))  If you end up in VAC, it will be significantly more complicated to get to the Caravan Tent (ask Clarence).  I have sketched out what I mean in the attached diagram from this year's set of online maps.

If you have any more questions, just ask.  We were all there once........

Untitled.thumb.jpg.8dfaaae75a0c2f4baedbd363f3240a7d.jpg

• Like 1

I love hanging out with the Mooney guys, But I have found parking VAC has been the better choice for me. We get there early enough to park where we have a great view of the airshow and set up a 10X20 canopy. we are in the middle of everything, yes it takes a bit longer to go to the Mooney events but we have never had issues with transportation.

Brian

5 minutes ago, orionflt said:

I love hanging out with the Mooney guys, But I have found parking VAC has been the better choice for me. We get there early enough to park where we have a great view of the airshow and set up a 10X20 canopy. we are in the middle of everything, yes it takes a bit longer to go to the Mooney events but we have never had issues with transportation.

Brian

Brian:

Did you not have a vehicle with you the last time we were there?

19 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Lance:

The North 40 has improved over the years with more amenities, but until 2015, it was the VAC that had more restaurants, showers and power points for recharge.  It is also closer to the airshow "chair line" along 18-36. You have a 66 (one year newer than ours) and it meets the Vintage definition so you can do either.

These days the North 40 is better, but the camping will stretch all the way past the two hotels along the northern edge of 09-27.  If we are lucky, the Caravan will end up at the 09 end of 09-27 (almost at the very end of the field).  

If you do end up in the North 40 (GAC), you are one 8 minute bus ride to the Mooney Caravan Tent, and you will find lots of Mooney friends there (even some you don't really need??;))  If you end up in VAC, it will be significantly more complicated to get to the Caravan Tent (ask Clarence).  I have sketched out what I mean in the attached diagram from this year's set of online maps.

If you have any more questions, just ask.  We were all there once........

Untitled.thumb.jpg.8dfaaae75a0c2f4baedbd363f3240a7d.jpg

Very helpful Ned.  Thank you!

Regards,

Lance

1 hour ago, Lance Keve said:

Very helpful Ned.  Thank you!

Regards,

Lance

Lance, one option you have if you want to park your airplane near the Mooney Caravan folks is to adjust your arrival time so it is close to the one of the Caravan. Check the schedule on MooneyCaravan.com

Yves

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Lance, one option you have if you want to park your airplane near the Mooney Caravan folks is to adjust your arrival time so it is close to the one of the Caravan. Check the schedule on MooneyCaravan.com

Yves

Thanks Yves.  Will keep that in mind too.

The north 40 parking is first come first served. They start with the south east side of 09/27 and just start moving west. When they run out of parking south of the runway they move to the north west corner and start moving east. Arriving close to the time the caravan lands is your best bet at parking close, but really anything in the north 40 is probably close enough. 

• Like 1

Lance, last year there were some areas of the North 40 that were unusable due to construction so space was at a premium. Presumably that will not be the case this year but you need to try to get there as early as possible. The Caravan which was scheduled to arrive KOSH before noon was delayed by low ceilings on Sunday morning and by the time we got to KOSH folks were eligible for Vintage were being sent to a new area, the South 40, which was a very long ways down the line to the approach end of RW 36. (The airport was "full" and turning away arrivals at some point, I'm not sure if that was late Sunday or sometime Monday.)  

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Lance, last year there were some areas of the North 40 that were unusable due to construction so space was at a premium. Presumably that will not be the case this year but you need to try to get there as early as possible. The Caravan which was scheduled to arrive KOSH before noon was delayed by low ceilings on Sunday morning and by the time we got to KOSH folks were eligible for Vintage were being sent to a new area, the South 40, which was a very long ways down the line to the approach end of RW 36. (The airport was "full" and turning away arrivals at some point, I'm not sure if that was late Sunday or sometime Monday.)  

Thanks Bob.  With my flexibility, I could shoot for getting to the region a couple days early if needed to hopefully increase my chances then.