o-360 overhaul

Looking for prices to get an o-360 for a C model to get rebuilt. It had the bottom end done about 6 years ago and about 700 hrs ago. I don't own the plane yet but just want to get a good quote cause the engine maybe has 300 hrs left on it. I'm up in MA and wanted to know there is any Canadian company that can do it since it may be cheaper with the current conversion rates.  

Worst case is like 40k. The shop tears down the engine and then the rework shop calls and you need a new crank and a case half.  It's a risk. There's One pilot here that was 40k into an IO360 overhaul that way. He didn't want to spend 26k on a factory engine. 

I believe my engine was overhauled at Zephyr.  It's the original block.  What are my options (I'm at 1200 so hopefully no time soon) ?  I know a field overhaul is possible, but isn't there a time limit on an engine for core value?

35 years is the limit for core credit on a factory engine. Anything other than a factory engine is technically a field overhaul. The quality varies widely. Built buy the owner in his garage and signed off by an A&p is an overhaul too, but so is a big engine shop.  However Zephyr is a top rate shop, if send my A3B6 there before I sent it back to the factory. 

20 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

35 years is the limit for core credit on a factory engine. Anything other than a factory engine is technically a field overhaul. The quality varies widely. Built buy the owner in his garage and signed off by an A&p is an overhaul too, but so is a big engine shop.  However Zephyr is a top rate shop, if send my A3B6 there before I sent it back to the factory. 

that's what I thought.  If I go any way other than field overhaul, I'm going to eat the core cost, correct?

About that Canadian shop, I got a price last year from them for an O-360 and they were at $30K + Tax CDN which is about $26.5K USD

Tax is 15%. If you can get out of paying that it would be even cheaper.

It is about time the dollar conversion rate can be used to the benefits of Canadians workers!

Yves

Jewell also seems to have a high reputation here. [mention=8452]aaronk25[/mention] had his done. 

Yep running great. 1qt In first 15 hours after oil change and another in about 10 hours. Strongly recommend as it's a father son shop and all Sam Jewell does is pretty much an assembly line of engines non stop. It will be a shame when he retires in a couple years. There price list is on their website. What I like the best is they don't push you to replace good working parts. His engine overhauls make the full next TBO time as long as their flown regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an old C model with an engine overhauled by Jewel in 2007, that piece of info went into the "PRO" column when making my purchase decision. Engine has been absolutely solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 10:49 PM, jetdriven said:

Worst case is like 40k. The shop tears down the engine and then the rework shop calls and you need a new crank and a case half.  It's a risk. There's One pilot here that was 40k into an IO360 overhaul that way. He didn't want to spend 26k on a factory engine. 

Lycoming also charges extra for anything that doesn't pass inspection.  Total core for my io-360 was about $25K itself ( my engine came apart so I had no core)  

-Robert

So lets pose a hypothetical here.  Let's say you fly 200 hrs a year and trade in for a zero time factory overhaul every 10 years for 40 years.  My understanding is that they use some parts from cores they recieve, but you get a new log book every time as it's a Zero time engine.  Lets assume there are many people that do thr same as you.  You could potentially have a component in your engine that is 40 years old, but there is no way to know that.